Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just seen this on facebook:

Got well and truly stung in Austria today, my own fault for not reading up on the internet before hand, but way over the top.
Travelled from near Albufeira over the last 6 days and paid tolls in Spain, France and Italy. Paid the last Italian toll just before the border and a couple of miles into Austria reached their toll booths. Lady at booth demanded my "GoBox", park over there and buy a GoBox. Go to office, OK €80 for an electronic box and credit, but wait you just travelled 2 miles on our roads without one, so we are fining you another €240, WTF??? Supposedly the last 10kms in Italy have signs telling you this. No way is it easy to spot, we had our eyes pealed as we didn't know the way etc. It doesnt actually say anything, just an icon of a >3.5t truck and a box with GO written on it.If you are more than 3.5t you have to buy this box before you enter. Hope this helps someone avoid this in future, it has left a very sour taste at the start of our 3 weeks here.

Seems like a country to miss to me.

Ian

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
A pal of ours was in Germany a couple of years back and wandered accidently into Austria and got fined. He didn't want to go there in the first place. Pete

Reactions: Jim

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What makes it more difficult is the road signs like Switzerland and Itay are Green on Motorways, Blue on trunk roads, the opposite of what we are used to. We took a bit of a detour last year as I got confused with the roads and didn't want to end up on a Austrian Autobahn.
A few years ago we were coming back from Slovenia about 10-20miles into Austria the Autobhann was closed all traffic directed through the rest area with police checking every vehicle, quite a few Dutch got caught.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Jim

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
This sort of thing kind of worries me, in that between April and May this year, we are going g to Holland, Germany, Austria, (maybe a dip into Italy ), France, a bit of Spain, Portugal and then back to France to take us home.

Just how many boxes will l actually need, and where do l get them from in advance ?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We have a Gobox in the glovebox still has 80 euros on it but we try to avoid using it.
Austria is horrendously expensive for anyone over 3500kgs we're 5000kgs plus 3 axles :eek:
Last time we did 2 hours on motorways then the rest of the day off motorways. This is ok if you have plenty of time as the roads are long steep and winding and certainly adds a lot of time and fuel to your journey.
We try very hard to avoid Austria nowadays far too expensive for us.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
This sort of thing kind of worries me, in that between April and May this year, we are going g to Holland, Germany, Austria, (maybe a dip into Italy ), France, a bit of Spain, Portugal and then back to France to take us home.

Just how many boxes will l actually need, and where do l get them from in advance ?

For the countries listed only Austria if you're over 3500kgs you buy them at the border

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I'm at 3.8, unfortunately.

Personally at 3.8 I'd just buy a vignette and wing it as long as you've got a vignette in the window you should be ok nobody can tell by looking your 300kgs over.
We can't get away with that as we're a tag axle so if they saw a vignette they'd stop us anyway.
But your choice.:);)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Do they weigh you ? Before travelling on the road ?
Silly question , but "Pug" is 3500 but Ralphs going to uprate to 3850 . How will they know ? Would they tell by the registration ? Number recognition type thing ?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if you go on the link i have posted above and click on the order now you will see the process and cost / payment. as far as i can see its down to your submission and i guess if stopped they can look at your weight plate under the bonnet.
if you are like me ( ours has been upped to 3650 ) the lower plate 3500 is till in place, then its down to your V5

but i believe you are only at risk if you are officially checked

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Last year we travelled through Germany and went from Ulm into Austria to Vienna and from there down into Carinthia to Klagenfurt and then back to the Tirol to Innsbruck and from there via the old Brenner Pass into Italy. Driving through Vienna and back again was not for the faint hearted! We are 4,500 Kgs but single axle and purposely decided against getting a GO box and staying well away from motorways which we achieved all but for about 3 miles when due to road works we were diverted onto the Autobahn and left at the next exit without penalty. We pretty much relied on our Caravan Club Sat Nav to keep us off the motorways using the toll free selection and it worked.

However Austria has a lot of roads that are weight restricted to 3,500 Kgs. We broke these regulations many many times as otherwise it would not have been possible to get around. We drew comfort from the fact that HGV's were also using the roads and in more numbers than could have been making local access deliveries.

We love Austria but after last year doubt that we will be going back in case we get pulled for being overweight on a restricted road. We did not find any Stellplatz in Austria and had to use campsites apart from a nice farm where you made a donation on what you felt it was worth. Bit like a CL over here.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Last time I did the Fussen pass then towards the Reschen pass we used a toll TUNNEL.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Just wondering how long it will be before the UK Gov charges foreign vehicles to use our roads? Vignettes, GoBoxes, Tolls etc all applied to all but our continental friends pay bugger all when they come here.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
There is a magnificent route from Fussen to Italy on toll free roads, look for Reschen Pass.
We went from Fussen last year via Fernpass & Brenna pass no tunnels and toll free.

Just wondering how long it will be before the UK Gov charges foreign vehicles to use our roads? Vignettes, GoBoxes, Tolls etc all applied to all but our continental friends pay bugger all when they come here.
They already do pay.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Last time I did the Fussen pass then towards the Reschen pass we used a toll TUNNEL.

Bigtree 1 : Hilldweller 0.

Looks like we've used it illegally many times.

Sneaky barstewards, slipping in a toll tunnel on non toll roads without making it very obvious.

There is the old road, L76 which bypasses the toll but I don't know the quality of the road. I wonder if we used this, I know we were scanning everything to make sure we did not turn on to the toll roads, at one island the two exits are next to one-another.

Well spotted bigtree.

This picture from 2011 is the only record I have, is this Landecker ?

land.jpg

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Bigtree 1 : Hilldweller 0.

Looks like we've used it illegally many times.

Sneaky barstewards, slipping in a toll tunnel on non toll roads without making it very obvious.

There is the old road, L76 which bypasses the toll but I don't know the quality of the road. I wonder if we used this, I know we were scanning everything to make sure we did not turn on to the toll roads, at one island the two exits are next to one-another.

Well spotted bigtree.

This picture from 2011 is the only record I have, is this Landecker ?

View attachment 91107

We did the first time too then bought a vignette at a garage just before the tunnel.So we travelled from Bergenz twice without it,:whistle:.Not sure where your photo is,it,s years since I have done that route.Last time I did Garda I came down from Munich into Innsbruck avoiding the tolls,tried to find the old Brenner pass but ended up on a single track road the other side of the valley.Fortunately there was a single decker bus in front,so reckoned it would be ok for me too,brought me out at the top on the old road and followed that down to Bolzano.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back