Camping in Spain/Portugal over Christmas - should we? (1 Viewer)

S

shasha

Deleted User
Hi there

My husband, 5yo daughter and I are keen to have a motorhome holiday and are thinking about Spain/Portugal over the Christmas break.

Any thoughts on how this would be for a 5yo this time of year? Would we still get a Christmas feeling? Would somewhere else be better?

Would it be too cold? (We are Australians so used to hot Christmases)

We would be renting a motorhome - could anyone recommend great motor home rental company?

Thanks so much for any help :Smile:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
We have spent the last 7 years in Spain and Portugal, the average temp is about 4' to 12' c degrees warmer than the UK the night time temp can get down to 5' and the day temp can get up to 22 or 24 in the shelter.

Christmas in Portugal is a quiet and family occasion, in Spain it is more lively event.

There is a motor-home renting company on the Algarve, south Portugal and its about 20k from the airport at Faro, unfortunately I don't know the name of the company but I think you will find it on the net.

Good luck.

Doug...

Upvote 0

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Southern Coastal Spain (Malaga or Almeria areas) or Eastern (Benidorm, Alicante, Cartagena) are probably the warmest you are going to get in a European winter although my impression is that the weather has been getting worse over the past few years - despite global warming our childhoods had wonderful summers.:RollEyes:

Somewhere around Benidorm will give lots of child friendly opportunities and Brits galore to chat to - it's not for everybody. :winky:

Main celebrations are in January but there will be plenty going on for the usual Christmas and New Year.

Portugal may be a bit wetter and windy but less intense than Spain.

Personally we have always preferred to be inland.

I'm sure you will have a good time.

:Smile:
Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Hi Shasha,
I would recommend that if you go to Spain go right down south to Andalucia the weather there is usually pretty good average 15* day 8/9* at night.
Having spent the last 3/4 winters in Portugal found it to be cold and wet and windy, going to give it a miss this year.
Enjoy your holiday
Bill :thumb:

Upvote 0

teensvan

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Fulltime in Motorhome
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

We have had 2 Christmas days in spain. The first was a disaster having a spanish christmas dinner. The best thing to do is do your own dinner with friends you have made on the campsite We had 10 in our safari room you all chip in with the food & drink this works very well. As you have a 5 year old with you go to Benidorm. Loads to see & do with loads of brits on the campsites. You will be able to get all you want for christmas in benidorm.

Enjoy your christmas.

steve & ann. --------- teensvan

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

shasha

Deleted User
Thanks everyone for your great replies.

We are Australian currently living in Dubai and are keen to get out and see the Northern Hemisphere while we are in the area. Love road trips and doing our own thing so camper holidays seem like a grewt idea - just dont want our daughter to miss out on a lovely Christmas experience or to feel too cold. So all thigs considered sounds like Portugal may not be the best idea.

Do many people use the camsites in Europe/Med over Christmas, or do most families stay at home and do their trips over summer.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Upvote 0

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Thanks everyone for your great replies.

Do many people use the camsites in Europe/Med over Christmas, or do most families stay at home and do their trips over summer.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Some Spanish campsites are very popular with over-wintering folks from UK, France, Holland, Germany and Switzerland at peak times.

:Smile:
Keith

Upvote 0

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Apart from the skiing areas, many (if not most) campsites in areas subject to freezing conditions will be closed if for no other reason that keeping a site open for one or two travellers is just not economic.

Upvote 0

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: We have spent most Winters in Spain (between Denia to Benidorm) since 1995. Last Winter was the coldest I can remember.BUT, it is STILL warmer and better than the UK. I have never known a Christmas day when it has NOT been sunshine all day long. :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

shasha

Deleted User
Thank you eveyone again for your replies. Some really good and useful information. Looking forward now to planning a great trip :Smile:

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I always spend Christmas and the New Year in the Eastern Algarve. I don't use campsites. The atmosphere is quiet and fiendly and I find it great to get away from the Christmas Hype.

If you choose to go down that way and we meet up, I can let you watch my dvd (yet to be recorded) of us winning back the Ashes... :)

JJ

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We spent Xmas in Spain & it IS warmer than the UK, although it can get colder at night so don't take only shorts & T-shirts. You would need warmer clothing.

To get a feel for it look at our album HERE

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back