Is your retirement as good as you thought it would be...(-; (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
A day in the life of a young retiree….:) I gave up working some years ago so have had much experience in doing very little for some time now and I must say that it was an easy transformation for me. I can never understand why some dread the day, it is fantastic.(y)

Just sitting comfortable this morning eating my toast, the last member of the family had just left leaving me and the dog in peaceful bliss when my mobile rings, it’s my son…Dad I need a new cutter blade asap and I can’t get away to get it. So put my toast down and off I go, new cutter blade delivered to site. The dog was happy as he ended up with the toast.:)

The weather was really good so I got back and hung out a line of washing that I had already washed yesterday, it should dry in no time and it is only 11am.:cool: I noticed another fence panel is a bit damaged so ordered another and will do that when it arrives.

My other son phoned from the US had a chat to him for ten minutes, he said the snow has all but gone and the sun is forecast for there too.:cool:

I think one of the best things about retirement is the freedom and non commitment of having tight goals each day. I’m going to have some fresh toast, have a bath then maybe a bit of shopping.

How is your retirement panning out and what do you find to do with yourself outside the motorhome season.?

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What retirement?

Golf, Bowls, Shopping, Eating out, Eating in, drinking, partying, Darts, Quiz Nights, Pool, Petanque, Karaoke, the list is endless.

I'll be glad to get into that Retirement Home for a rest!!

:cooler:
I must admit that I sometimes wonder how I ever managed to find time for real work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:smiley:. Yep much like you settled into retirement a few years ago and just loving it :smiley: Can spend my time just as I please but a bit like a hole in the sand it soon fills up - don't know how I found time to go to work all those years :smiley:
Have 2 lovely granddaughters who we spend lots of time with, we live in a lovely part of the country and go away as much we can in our van - perfect. It's always Moho season for us, as soon as we get home plans are underway for the next trip, always new places to see and favourite spots to revisit. Off to France in April for a few weeks so have to plan for that too - busy, busy :smiley:::bigsmile: and definitely going to find somewhere warm to spend next winter :happy:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Retired in 2003 and apart from unexpected health problems, and both of us losing our last parent, it's been all we expected. Reasonably comfortable financially, despite the vagaries of the stock market, allows us to do what we want within reason. Most days, if not away, are frittered away walking the dog, morning coffee then the odd job or two in or outside, just replaced fence panels and chopping the old ones for kindling at the moment.

We tend to use the motorhom in spring and autumn more than the summer months as we take other holidays, the occasional cruise at Christmas/New Year but particularly trips to the Faroes to check on our little house and meet friends and many relations on the wife's side. Given it's getting more difficult to reach we shall probably sell it in the not too distant future and stay with relatives on far less frequent visits. We do want to travel to a few places further afield, India in particular and the Rockies again, maybe in a rented motorhome. Must get on, be lunchtime soon and I haven't done anything yet apart from ready the woodburner for later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Retired in 2003 and apart from unexpected health problems, and both of us losing our last parent, it's been all we expected. Reasonably comfortable financially, despite the vagaries of the stock market, allows us to do what we want within reason. Most days, if not away, are frittered away walking the dog, morning coffee then the odd job or two in or outside, just replaced fence panels and chopping the old ones for kindling at the moment.

We tend to use the motorhom in spring and autumn more than the summer months as we take other holidays, the occasional cruise at Christmas/New Year but particularly trips to the Faroes to check on our little house and meet friends and many relations on the wife's side. Given it's getting more difficult to reach we shall probably sell it in the not too distant future and stay with relatives on far less frequent visits. We do want to travel to a few places further afield, India in particular and the Rockies again, maybe in a rented motorhome. Must get on, be luchtime soon and I haven't done anything yet apart from ready the woodburner for later.
Funny you should say that, my partner has just phoned, she asked what I was having for lunch no idea I said why is it lunch time..:) She recommended a cheese and onion role which sounded good so just making myself one with the dog looking on case I drop some cheese.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
How is your retirement panning out and what do you find to do with yourself outside the motorhome season.?

Panning out very well, fortunately and lucky for us there is currently no 'motorhome season', Summer is spent in the UK and other parts of Europe, winter here in Benidorm, where it is another warm and sunny day, having just got back from our daily walk the Girls are going for a 'natter and knit' at Pamalaaas, and I'm popping down the road, for a bit of lunch followed by some solids!:rofl:
Luving our retirement,
Cheers
Ed and Shirley :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My job was made redundant in 2011, I decided to have some long put-off surgery done (well actually I didn't have much choice as it had become urgent by then), the surgery didn't go as planned and I have not worked since. It's taken a long time to get to as near normal as I will ever be...... Martin always planned to retire early and we were lucky enough to realise that dream last Spring even though he had a major health scare three days before the retirement was due. Again it has taken him longer to recover than either of us expected. We are so glad we have retired.....

We now have to keep a diary as we have so much we want to do. I think that is the key phrase - we want to do it, no one is forcing us to do the food shopping on a certain day and at a certain hour. If we want to go out for cake and a cuppa, or even lunch, we can, any day. We also have a lot of hobbies. One thing we have not been is bored. We also have young grandchildren who are a delight and it is wonderful being able to drop almost all commitments to go and help out when needed.

I have parents who are not as well as I would like and we have to take their needs into account when we plan. Going to sunny climes for weeks is not really a possibility even though there are flights back to the UK. Yes, they could come with us and rent a villa or apartment but when I suggested it the idea was met with horror. We used to cruise at least one a year but even that has to take a back seat at present because we need to be easily available. I love my parents very dearly and am trying to treasure the time we have left (Martin's parents both died young). Although not overtly demanding they let it be known what is expected :)

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
This is an interesting read, as we plan to retire early (in 2020) and are working furiously towards making it a reality.

We recently moved from a neighbourhood where many residents were retired and mostly the gents regularly passed the time of day saying that they "missed work".

I would always comment that "I could not wait to retire" and most would say "not to wish your life away" and "work as long as you could".

All are different of course, and depending how you fill your life, partner, finances, etc all come into the equation; but I do envy you guys and am counting the next 47 months.....

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I retired in 2001 at the very age of 52. (30yrs at the sharp end, big boots, tall helmet meeting angry men on dark nights)
I got out unscathed and apart from a scare with the C word, we're both still in good health.
One wet Wednesday, a fair old time ago we were in the 'van and made a list of the 'proper' holidays we'd had up to then and it was an impressive list. I'm still a 'Holidayholic'.
One conversation we both remember, and still quote occurred not long after we both had given up work.

Sir Terry of Wogan was talking to the recently retired former Archbishop of Canterbury.
Wogan, "So what's this retirement lark like George."
Carey, "Do you know Terry, IT'S TWICE THE FUN ON HALF THE MONEY." And do you know, he's right.
I keep saying I'm going to get a decal with that for the back of the 'van.
Nearest I've got is putting it in my Signature (below)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My job was made redundant in 2011, I decided to have some long put-off surgery done (well actually I didn't have much choice as it had become urgent by then), the surgery didn't go as planned and I have not worked since. It's taken a long time to get to as near normal as I will ever be...... Martin always planned to retire early and we were lucky enough to realise that dream last Spring even though he had a major health scare three days before the retirement was due. Again it has taken him longer to recover than either of us expected. We are so glad we have retired.....

We now have to keep a diary as we have so much we want to do. I think that is the key phrase - we want to do it, no one is forcing us to do the food shopping on a certain day and at a certain hour. If we want to go out for cake and a cuppa, or even lunch, we can, any day. We also have a lot of hobbies. One thing we have not been is bored. We also have young grandchildren who are a delight and it is wonderful being able to drop almost all commitments to go and help out when needed.

I have parents who are not as well as I would like and we have to take their needs into account when we plan. Going to sunny climes for weeks is not really a possibility even though there are flights back to the UK. Yes, they could come with us and rent a villa or apartment but when I suggested it the idea was met with horror. We used to cruise at least one a year but even that has to take a back seat at present because we need to be easily available. I love my parents very dearly and am trying to treasure the time we have left (Martin's parents both died young). Although not overtly demanding they let it be known what is expected :)
Thanks puddleduck interesting read, health and families are important elements in retirement. Thankfully our health is good and my family is now in good order but it hasn't come easily and anything can change at any time. My situation is a little different as in, when I retired my Ex wife came to live with us, sounds odd but it has worked out really well and I think we are all happy with the set up. She is the kids mother and gets on well with my newer partner so it's all good.(y)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Settled into retirement and time out with the van quite happily apart from watching nervously as my notvery abundant savings/lump sum is being slowly very slowly nibbled away by my kids...who I do love to bits ..but it is a bit of a worry I must confess :unsure:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I must admit that I sometimes wonder how I ever managed to find time for real work.
Yes, that is something I wonder every day.......

The very best thing of it all, is that lovely feeling of waking up at 0530 in the morning (old habits die hard) and either getting up and making a cuppa to take back to bed, just lying there thinking. "I don't have to do anything.......can do what I want"

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I finished work last July, not of my choosing but there you go. I have been trying, without success at the moment, to get my HGV licence back so I can do a few days driving.
I don't miss work but I do feel guilty that Angela is still working. I get up every morning to make her a brew and some toast, I don't have to but I don't want to lay in bed while she has to venture out. I now do all the housework, washing, cleaning, shopping. Much of the cooking and Angela thinks it's great but I still feel guilty.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
A day in the life of a young retiree….:) I gave up working some years ago so have had much experience in doing very little for some time now and I must say that it was an easy transformation for me. I can never understand why some dread the day, it is fantastic.(y)

Just sitting comfortable this morning eating my toast, the last member of the family had just left leaving me and the dog in peaceful bliss when my mobile rings, it’s my son…Dad I need a new cutter blade asap and I can’t get away to get it. So put my toast down and off I go, new cutter blade delivered to site. The dog was happy as he ended up with the toast.:)

The weather was really good so I got back and hung out a line of washing that I had already washed yesterday, it should dry in no time and it is only 11am.:cool: I noticed another fence panel is a bit damaged so ordered another and will do that when it arrives.

My other son phoned from the US had a chat to him for ten minutes, he said the snow has all but gone and the sun is forecast for there too.:cool:

I think one of the best things about retirement is the freedom and non commitment of having tight goals each day. I’m going to have some fresh toast, have a bath then maybe a bit of shopping.

Didn't quite work out exactly as planned ..i was confirmed as having COPD at 63yrs ,lost my wife two years later to cancer after 45yrs of marriage.so some 7 yrs later just starting to enjoy retirement again although greatly Hampered by COPD..but the motorhome had made my life very much better ..and this forum gives me a laugh ..

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'll let you know. Handed in my notice just before Christmas telling them I was taking early retirement, my last day at work being 17th March. My local DA needed stewards for THS's so I volunteered for 2 of them, free camping can't be bad. Looked on here at all the Events I couldn't go to before because of work and booked some. Realised life was getting complicated so started a year planner. Finish my last THS at Porth Beach in Cornwell on the 8th October, realised the ferry to Santander leaves Plymouth on the 9th so now plan to be on that.
All in all I'm too busy to work :D

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I had no plans to retire at 61 but basically got burnt out through over-demanding clients and over-aggressive management and saw the opportunity to bail out with a suitable compensation package. Grabbed it, and an early pension, with both hands. Very lucky to have done so.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
This is an interesting read, as we plan to retire early (in 2020) and are working furiously towards making it a reality.

We recently moved from a neighbourhood where many residents were retired and mostly the gents regularly passed the time of day saying that they "missed work".

I would always comment that "I could not wait to retire" and most would say "not to wish your life away" and "work as long as you could".

All are different of course, and depending how you fill your life, partner, finances, etc all come into the equation; but I do envy you guys and am counting the next 47 months.....
I grabbed my NHS pension asap and ran like hell. Retirement is great.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yes, that is something I wonder every day.......

The very best thing of it all, is that lovely feeling of waking up at 0530 in the morning (old habits die hard) and either getting up and making a cuppa to take back to bed, just lying there thinking. "I don't have to do anything.......can do what I want"
That sums it up perfectly DD freedom to choose what we do and when we do it. (y)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
My comfortable, happy working world fell apart when my wife was killed in a road collision and I was left with PTSD and chronic depression for some time - so bad I had to give up my self employed work at 58 years old. My MH has been my salvation, planning and doing the next trip; I only wish I'd bought a fully winterised one so I could keep going all year! My retirement interests are zero. I hate gardening, I've never been a "club" person and so I never really got to meet any people in my town and my step daughters and grandchildren live away. To me retirement is mostly loneliness and boredom and trying hard to fill in the days until the next holiday. Would I want to go to work again? Not really; customers never become friends and I don't need the money as insurance claims made me financially secure. Do I like retirement? It sure beats being dead - but only marginally I guess!

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I finished work last July, not of my choosing but there you go. I have been trying, without success at the moment, to get my HGV licence back so I can do a few days driving.
I don't miss work but I do feel guilty that Angela is still working. I get up every morning to make her a brew and some toast, I don't have to but I don't want to lay in bed while she has to venture out. I now do all the housework, washing, cleaning, shopping. Much of the cooking and Angela thinks it's great but I still feel guilty.
Never feel guilty badknee I have two women still working and leaving me at home to do a bit of washing ironing and cooking. They both love it and I love it so no need for any guilt. They are grateful that you are around to look after them.;):)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
My comfortable, happy working world fell apart when my wife was killed in a road collision and I was left with PTSD and chronic depression for some time - so bad I had to give up my self employed work at 58 years old. My MH has been my salvation, planning and doing the next trip; I only wish I'd bought a fully winterised one so I could keep going all year! My retirement interests are zero. I hate gardening, I've never been a "club" person and so I never really got to meet any people in my town and my step daughters and grandchildren live away. To me retirement is mostly loneliness and boredom and trying hard to fill in the days until the next holiday. Would I want to go to work again? Not really; customers never become friends and I don't need the money as insurance claims made me financially secure. Do I like retirement? It sure beats being dead - but only marginally I guess!
Sorry to read your retirement story is not as positive as most of the others, but was pleased to read your motorhome has been a salvation of sorts . This forum hopefully gives you some company and lots of laughs. Enjoy your trips out and may meet up at a rally. My OH and I are going on our first one soon!!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Odd leg me. The two reasons i don't go back ,"Tearing along the white line".. 1. First wife won't let me. 2.There is the smallest of small thoughts..... I might be being selfish.
Reason 1.is NON negotiable!! Soooo.... Thats me grounded.
Tea Bag

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Retirement is a constant struggle...

All the decisions to make...

Shall I get up or stay in bed?

Cooked breakfast or fruit and cereal?

Have brekky in van or pop up to the Vasco Da Gama cafe?

Shall I go for a walk, a cycle ride or stay on the lounger in the sun.

A burger for lunch? Which one? Burger Ranch or Burger King?

Visit folk in other vans or stay at home?

Shall I move on today, tomorrow or later?

Where to?

Which films shall I download for later?

How many times do I watch the highlights of the latest match?

I have so many, many things to do but I don't have to do any of them if I don't feel like it.

Retirement is a struggle but a superb one to have... (y)

Thoroughly recommended.

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Just because you retire doesn't mean that you cant work. Career work is security and security hinders ambition. Shed yourself of the security of work by retiring and you can do anything you really want to do.
Just reading that through it doesn't make to much sense;) but it is true.....(y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Retirement is a constant struggle...

All the decisions to make...

Shall I get up or stay in bed?

Cooked breakfast or fruit and cereal?

Have brekky in van or pop up to the Vasco Da Gama cafe?

Shall I go for a walk, a cycle ride or stay on the lounger in the sun.

A burger for lunch? Which one? Burger Ranch or Burger King?

Visit folk in other vans or stay at home?

Shall I move on today, tomorrow or later?

Where to?

Which films shall I download for later?

How many times do I watch the highlights of the latest match?

I have so many, many things to do but I don't have to do any of them if I don't feel like it.

Retirement is a struggle but a superb one to have... (y)

Thoroughly recommended.

JJ :cool:
Most of that JJ has little to do with retirement, it is living on your own. I'm retired too but most of these decisions are made for me on my behalf.;):) Could I make a suggestion........:):whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back