Android Box (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just stick to a firestick with kodi, knocks these android boxes into the middle of next week(y):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Some of the newer boxes have larger memory so when streaming you get less stuttering.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't waste yer dosh ... just get a proper Smart TV(y)
Can you watch premier football live or films that have just come out, or thousands of channels from all over the world plus all sky sports for free on a smart tv, don't think so.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Can you watch premier football live or films that have just come out, or thousands of channels from all over the world plus all sky sports for free on a smart tv, don't think so.
I haven't tried as not interested in any sports channels or foreign ones so I really don't know.

Reactions: GJH

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.

If you can load KODI on your Smart TV then yes can have access to all those channels! I believe at the moment you can only do so on a Sony Smart TV, but they will crack Samsung and LG eventually.

:cooler:

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I believe that the future of streaming TV is with something like a MAG Smart Box, which has a fairly simple interface. The only problem is, you have to pay for an IPTV Portal, but it's only around ÂŁ70 a year and for that you can get Channels from all over the world and all the Sky channels.

Last edited:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
The only problem is, you have to pay for an IPTV Portal, but it's only around ÂŁ70 a year and for that you can get Channels from all over the world and all the Sky channels.

You say "the only problem is" like it is a problem having to pay for pay tv channels...? Even if it is from a pirate provider!!! :)

What next...? Supermarkets will be making you pay for that other crucial necessity - food!! Bstards!!! ;-)

TBH Kodi is fine for the "non live stuff", which is already available anyway via torrent sites...so no need for android boxes with kodi on them.
But from what I have seen, the picture quality for live tv, especially sports is not the best. OK it may be free, but you gets what you pay for... and some of the quality is like spot the player, let along sport the ball...
And again, most of the live sport feeds on Kodi are already available via the net...
And I see on kodi another repo is closing down...

Last edited:

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
You say "the only problem is" like it is a problem having to pay for pay tv channels...? Even if it is from a pirate provider!!! :)

What next...? Supermarkets will be making you pay for that other crucial necessity - food!! Bstards!!! ;-)

TBH Kodi is fine for the "non live stuff", which is already available anyway via torrent sites...so no need for android boxes with kodi on them.
But from what I have seen, the picture quality for live tv, especially sports is not the best. OK it may be free, but you gets what you pay for... and some of the quality is like spot the player, let along sport the ball...
And again, most of the live sport feeds on Kodi are already available via the net...
And I see on kodi another repo is closing down...

You are quite right, but some think it is only any good if it's free.

Kodi has it's place! Been there done that but I can do better and at the moment it's a MAG 254 and IPTV,

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What sort of data allowance do you need though to watch tv via your broadband ... quite a lot I suspect.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
What sort of data allowance do you need though to watch tv via your broadband ... quite a lot I suspect.

Depends on how much TV you want to watch, but 1Gbit per hour is about right. You will need speeds of 2Mbps + to get your SD and at least 5Mbps + will be needed to get HD!

In the UK with a land line no problem, but here in Spain as a transient, a little more difficult!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I believe that the future of streaming TV is with something like a MAG Smart Box, which has a fairly simple interface. The only problem is, you have to pay for an IPTV Portal, but it's only around ÂŁ70 a year and for that you can get Channels from all over the world and all the Sky channels.

Just like xbmc or kodi then but more expensive

You are quite right, but some think it is only any good if it's free.

Kodi has it's place! Been there done that but I can do better and at the moment it's a MAG 254 and IPTV,

Curious as to how you're going to get more content with your mag 254 than the gazillions of kodi repositories available.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Curious as to how you're going to get more content with your mag 254 than the gazillions of kodi repositories available.
The paid mag services are more reliable and better quality streams than the free streams on offer via Kodi, especially for live TV.
And many mag services also have "VOD" and movie libraries also...

One other things to note about Kodi, is that some of the repos use p2p sharing - so, if they want to, you can get done for uploading copyrighted content (illegal in EU countries), even though you may not know you are doing it!

Personally, after trying both Kodi and Mag, Mags and paid services are a lot more user friendly and more reliable... ok you have to pay, but kodi and its endless "working" symbol, and "failed stream" and broken repos is not ideal for many people...

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Just like xbmc or kodi then but more expensive

What @Satandpcguy said!

XBMC/KODI just isn't anywhere near as user friendly as IPTV on a MAG box. everything is where you need it to be, and very easy to find!

Lots of Sat and TV providers over here played around with Android Smart boxes in an attempt to find the solution to the loss of UK TV to ex pats.
If KODI was the best solution they would have used that, after all charging for something you can get for free is a re-sellers heaven.
They don't use it because customers just wont pay for something not reliable, they use IPTV via Stalker on the MAG box which, though they have to pay for it, is a reliable system which meets their customers needs.
I do it myself not via a reseller, and use a couple of providers whose portals provide a different array of channels, one does just about every channel in the world known to man, but has no EPG, the other does all the most popular channels in each country and does have EPG.

If I want to watch Premier League Football, live on a Saturday afternoon, I can find it instantly, unlike KODI, where you often have to try lots of different streams before you find a reliable one, sometimes losing the will to live, never mind watch football!!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I accept that the user friendliness of the mag boxes is better and more suited to people not used to this type of technology.
But to be perfectly honest. I can get anything on kodi with little problem and almost always in HD (certainly all uk sport channels). Yes there are different repos but it's not at all hard to keep up.
The skins, options and amount of differing hardware supporting kodi makes it ... in my opinion... the better option ... if you're happy to be "involved" with it. The xbmc community was always like that though.
I can't knock the mag box as it is what it is.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I accept that the user friendliness of the mag boxes is better and more suited to people not used to this type of technology.
But to be perfectly honest. I can get anything on kodi with little problem and almost always in HD (certainly all uk sport channels). Yes there are different repos but it's not at all hard to keep up.
The skins, options and amount of differing hardware supporting kodi makes it ... in my opinion... the better option ... if you're happy to be "involved" with it. The xbmc community was always like that though.
I can't knock the mag box as it is what it is.

Quite! Each to his/her own! If you are happy with what you have, then there is no reason to change!
I always thought there must be a better way than XBMC/KODI and so moved over to IPTV and the MAG box.
I understand that you can run IPTV via KODI or VLC but I haven't tried it, as I'm happy with what I have.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I run Kodi on an asus mini PC in the van and at home.
The advantage is I can use all my windows programs, and the video chip is designed for use as a media player.
Smart TVs are very limited as you wont find one with all the stuff you want and you cant update the software like a PC

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back