Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I am interested in getting a box trailer with a ramp to carry my motorbike around - I thought it might be useful for other storage as well, chairs, water, etc

Does anyone use one? Is it a worthwhile proposition or are they just too expensive to justify?

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Excellent idea, I tow 2 bikes around on a bike trailer but would have a box trailer tommorow if I could afford it. Keeps the bikes from view , keeps them clean, can,t fall off, store your bike gear ect in the trailer and you have a trailer to use for general use . Go for it .

Sep 1, 2007
Guildford
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2004
Box trailer

I am interested in getting a box trailer with a ramp to carry my motorbike around - I thought it might be useful for other storage as well, chairs, water, etc

Does anyone use one? Is it a worthwhile proposition or are they just too expensive to justify?

Best thing i have bought used for our Vespa 125, 2 pushbikes inflatable sailing dinghy with folding launching trolley we have trailed it all over Europe no problems better than the scooter rack we used for the Vespa for a while

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
also better for the camper as a rack can /almost loads the back axle over its limits. usefull for bringing a bit of quality life back from abroad in bottles n cartons. lol.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Our friends took a box trailer, which housed a brand new Triumph, plus other things with them to Portugal/Spain in February. Coming back through France their 'A' frame broke, they rang their breakdown insurance and found that they were not covered as the trailer was not of a recognised manufacture and was worth less than £1,000.00, so were told by the insurance company to dump it, but what would they have done with their brand new motorbike???. Still can't understand why they spent over £42,000 on a brand new campervan and towed a heap of a trailer. So it's just a word of warning, make sure you buy one that is manufactured professionally and not forgetting that it must have a 50mm ball as well.

By the way, they got the trailer to a campsite and repaired the 'A' frame with some angle and bolts.

Since their return, unfortunately, he wrote off his brand new Triumph.

Nigel and Pamala

OP
OP
Autoquest

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the replies - Much as I thought. They are horrendously expensive though!

It would be perfect for my small van as my rear axle load is all too easily reached and the twin axle trailers would more than compensate for that.

We shall see.... Best get the motorbike first, my new Burgman 650 should arrive next week::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I looked into buying a box trailer but was put off by the price of anything decent new and the secondhand price for junk on Ebay is ridiculous.

Ended up buying a really good m/bike trailer instead, also much easier to push around than a box trailer, for extra space consider a roof storage box.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We use an Excalibur trailer which will take our Goldwing or BMW outfit. It could also take two sports bikes or a trike. In theory it will also take a Smart car, but you have to have a cabriolet and climb out through the roof.
Excalibur are a US trailer made under license in Germany on an Alko chassis. I fitted an electric mover to mine as they are VERY difficult to move when loaded, especially on some of the tight continental sites.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
If I've done it right, there should be a photo of our setup on here.
I pay extra to have the trailer insured. I think it's about £45 with SAGA. When towing a bike on a trailer, you also need to check with your insurer(s) as to whether or not your bike's covered in the event of an accident or theft. Not all companies will cover you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Autoquest

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
If I've done it right, there should be a photo of our setup on here.
I pay extra to have the trailer insured. I think it's about £45 with SAGA. When towing a bike on a trailer, you also need to check with your insurer(s) as to whether or not your bike's covered in the event of an accident or theft. Not all companies will cover you.

Looks good.... Where did you get it from?

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I bought mine s/hand from a chap in England. I am now on my second one which is the S2 which takes 2 sports bikes. The one in the photo is the S1 single bike trailer.
The only place I know where you can buy them new is Germany.
Try excalibureurope.com
But I warn you, they're not cheap!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back