Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Hi

I have a smal folding Gobur caravan which we occasionally use for guests, its easy to tow and it takes up no room.:)

When folded down, the roof is below eye level so i would like it to be neat

It has a 75 ah battery and a slight curved roof
It has led lights and a lcd telly

I would like to fit a solar panel on the roof and have found this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100W-Semi...663993?hash=item4635d1f939:g:~RUAAOSw3ydVu56m

Question, has anyone fitted a flexible panel and if so how did it perform, secondly how did you attach it

I know the lack of air gap is a small issue but I have over specified the panel to make up for the loss, i think

ta

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
A friend of mine has a chandlery shop and he sold quite a few of these to boat owners. The general consensus was that they underperformed by quite a large margin. Don't underestimate the air gap below a solar panel, it is very important

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A friend of mine has a chandlery shop and he sold quite a few of these to boat owners. The general consensus was that they underperformed by quite a large margin. Don't underestimate the air gap below a solar panel, it is very important
Hardly surprising the way boat owners fit them.:D

Saw this in France last year.
P1000844.jpg

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
I got 2 x 100w fitted over the Luton on our van, fixed by silkaflex. Fitted em over 2 yrs ago and working a treat,

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
OP
OP
bubble63
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Last year I purchased 2 x 100 watt flexi solar panels to add to my 130 watt. So far they have performed very well only time will tell. Bought from Friendly-Green-Giant very good service from them. I mounted them on these brackets links below.

Broken Link Removed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100W-Semi-Flexible-Sunpower-solar-Panel-12V-For-Battery-Charging-RV-Boat-Caravan/301550663993?_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20140107095009&meid=9afaff928ba24896adcc5147d567a5f1&pid=100040&rk=2&rkt=4&mehot=pp&sd=401060846559
Phil
thanks for all the replies
By coincidence the above post is exactly what I have singled out :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We picked a new cheap 60w one at a show last year and I fitted it to our new PVC using some Sikaflex - the most taxing part was drilling the hole through the metal roof in the correct place for the cable ... thankfully after a lot of measuring and checking, checking and checking another few times, I got it right first time ... phew!

If we hadn't got it already (we bought it before we knew we were changing PVCs!) I might have just gone for a standard rigid one but I must say that it was very easy to fit the panel itself as I just did 'squiggles' on the raised roof ridges and around the edge of the panel and pressed it on ... the hardest part was cleaning off all the ruddy Sikaflex that had got everywhere (don't ask!) which took much longer than the actual panel fitting!!! :D

The panel on our previous PVC was an Alden 75w one which worked great (we wild camp or use aires all the time) so I was a bit concerned in case the smaller panel wasn't adequate, but it performed faultlessly when we had 6 weeks away so we're very pleased with it. If needs be I'll just add another one in the future but doubt if I'll find the need.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
We picked a new cheap 60w one at a show last year and I fitted it to our new PVC using some Sikaflex - the most taxing part was drilling the hole through the metal roof in the correct place for the cable ... thankfully after a lot of measuring and checking, checking and checking another few times, I got it right first time ... phew!

If we hadn't got it already (we bought it before we knew we were changing PVCs!) I might have just gone for a standard rigid one but I must say that it was very easy to fit the panel itself as I just did 'squiggles' on the raised roof ridges and around the edge of the panel and pressed it on ... the hardest part was cleaning off all the ruddy Sikaflex that had got everywhere (don't ask!) which took much longer than the actual panel fitting!!! :D

The panel on our previous PVC was an Alden 75w one which worked great (we wild camp or use aires all the time) so I was a bit concerned in case the smaller panel wasn't adequate, but it performed faultlessly when we had 6 weeks away so we're very pleased with it. If needs be I'll just add another one in the future but doubt if I'll find the need.
for anything like sike and silicon you need to use big wipes from any builders merchants or poofix places or use baby wipes to clean up

OP
OP
bubble63
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Mines sat in the garage awaiting fitting
Going to use Sikaflex and a terminal box , bonded to the roof

I bought a 100w for £96 delivered , the white one that comes up on eBay

I already have a 'steca' controller from my motor home when I fitted a mppt upgrade

Just been on eBay and you can get a mppt for around £25 ,anybody used one ?

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Hi

I have a smal folding Gobur caravan which we occasionally use for guests, its easy to tow and it takes up no room.:)

When folded down, the roof is below eye level so i would like it to be neat

It has a 75 ah battery and a slight curved roof
It has led lights and a lcd telly

I would like to fit a solar panel on the roof and have found this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100W-Semi...663993?hash=item4635d1f939:g:~RUAAOSw3ydVu56m

Question, has anyone fitted a flexible panel and if so how did it perform, secondly how did you attach it

I know the lack of air gap is a small issue but I have over specified the panel to make up for the loss, i think

ta
Cannot vouch for other brands but do not buy the Biard ones as my two failed at about 18 months:cry:
the panel you show here are fine they are wired from the back, but as wizzer59 says don't by a BIARD they are wired at the font and are crap(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back