7 essential items you must carry when driving in Spain. (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
  1. Passport or ID Card (notorised copy "may" not be accepted outside region it was issued) - Anywhere in the EU
  2. Driving Licence - Anywhere in the EU
  3. Insurance Certificate - Anywhere in the EU ( Green card )
  4. Original registration document (permiso de circulación) - Anywhere in the EU
  5. Ficha Tecnica/itv (Mot Certificate) - Anywhere in the EU
  6. Two warning triangles - Anywhere in the EU
  7. Reflective Jacket(s) – for anyone who gets out of the car on a main road. - Anywhere in the EU
  8. Headlight deflectors ? never seen them checked ( had UK car for first year never checked! )
  9. If you wear glasses the police "may" ask for the spare pair (in 4 years I have never been asked)
  10. Spare set of bulbs for the vehicle (in 4 years I have never been asked)
  11. Any navigation device must not obscure your driving view and the same for road cam which are legal in Spain.
To be honest in 4 years living in Spain and chatting to local policeman here in our village the list above is a requirement, but 99% of the time they will ask for your driving licence look briefly and wave you on unless you have been in an accident or become rude.......... then you WILL have a problem as they will find one.........

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Beat me to it :(

Can you delete your own message?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
1. Corkscrew
2. Wine glass for each occupant.
3. Water pistol for firing at traffic police.
4. Newspaper to read while driving.
5. Dark glasses for driving at night.
6. TV mounted on dashboard.
7. Pair of fluffy dice hanging in front of rear view mirror.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
1. Corkscrew

Wot? Oh Crikey, I'm off down to the market in Totana for a pair of fluffy dice....

Reactions: DBK

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
1. Corkscrew

Flip Flops for driving are also an essential piece of kit :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
1. Corkscrew
Not much good without the bottle of wine.:D

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Don't forget the phone

And your hands free kit
handsfreekit.jpg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Very very loud stereo with boom box.......

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
AFAIK there are no "green cards" any more are there? Your normal certificate of insurance is valid throughout EU.

A question on headlamp deflectors, not just for Spain but also France. With my Hymer I can adjust the headlights for when driving on the right and I intend to do that before I go. Will I get away with not having a sticker on the headlights if I show them the handbook and lever?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Flip Flops for driving are also an essential piece of kit :D

Legal on your motorbike.:D

AFAIK there are no "green cards" any more are there? Your normal certificate of insurance is valid throughout EU.

A question on headlamp deflectors, not just for Spain but also France. With my Hymer I can adjust the headlights for when driving on the right and I intend to do that before I go. Will I get away with not having a sticker on the headlights if I show them the handbook and lever?

Correct re: 'green card' but UK insurers restrict cover to UK without one & Spanish insurers require you to have a stamped full A4 green one for the year.

çIf your headlights swop from one to the other then they are legal without deflectors as you do not need them.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Im sorry i havent read the OPs post regarding things to take with you in Spain, i couldnt help but look at the avitar of you and your wife, Billy whats your wifes hand doing under the table :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Correct re: 'green card' but UK insurers restrict cover to UK without one & Spanish insurers require you to have a stamped full A4 green one for the year.
Not sure that is correct. On the back of my insurance certificate for the Motorhome it states that cover extends to any member of the EU plus Bulgaria, Iceland Liechtenstein, Norway, Romania and Switzerland. Same with my new Scooter's insurance. I am told I don't need anything more.

Feb 28, 2015
Rothwell Northants
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Since 2014
Saw a programme on TV last week where an Englishcar had been broken into in France and the insurance company would not pay out because the owner had not informed them that he was going abroad and so no green card had been issued.Seems that although it is a formality it is important.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Not sure that is correct. On the back of my insurance certificate for the Motorhome it states that cover extends to any member of the EU plus Bulgaria, Iceland Liechtenstein, Norway, Romania and Switzerland. Same with my new Scooter's insurance. I am told I don't need anything more.
@Broken Link Removed is very correct, I have just called my insurance company here in Spain and if we leave Spain with our MH or car a "green card" is required. It's an internationally recognised document that acts as proof of insurance in Europe, but you should be aware that many insurance companies ONLY insure third party outside country of issue ( I bet many reading this have NEVER asked! )

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@Broken Link Removed is very correct, I have just called my insurance company here in Spain and if we leave Spain with our MH or car a "green card" is required. It's an internationally recognised document that acts as proof of insurance in Europe, but you should be aware that many insurance companies ONLY insure third party outside country of issue ( I bet many reading this have NEVER asked! )
Can't comment on Spanish insurers but you haven't needed green cards for EU travel for several years for most UK insurance policies.

I have just telephoned my Motorhome insurer (Safeguard) and my Scooter insurer (Bennetts) and both have confirmed that, for EU travel, I do NOT need to tell them when I am going abroad and I do NOT need a "green card". My car insurers (Nationwide) told me the same when I first took my policy out with them a few years ago.

And all policy documents confirm that I have the same cover abroad as I do in the UK i.e. fully comp.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

It says all that on my Spanish insurances & at the bottom of the certificate is a 'green card'. But has no validity unless signed ,dated, stamped by agent/insurer.As the vehicle is insured here, not the person, any additional drivers on the green card part have to be specifically named when driving out of Spain.

It covers the minimum required.Them asking you to pay for a 'green card' extends the full comp bit.

Can't comment on Spanish insurers but you haven't needed green cards for EU travel for several years for most UK insurance policies.

I have just telephoned my Motorhome insurer (Safeguard) and my Scooter insurer (Bennetts) and both have confirmed that, for EU travel, I do NOT need to tell them when I am going abroad and I do NOT need a "green card". My car insurers (Nationwide) told me the same when I first took my policy out with them a few years ago.

And all policy documents confirm that I have the same cover abroad as I do in the UK i.e. fully comp.

That's how it should be but isn't with most.Additionally you might well find that it only covers the owner or named driver.

Here are the EU rules

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/insurance/validity/index_en.htm#!lightbox-uid-1

click on 'country' to bring up UK policy holder driving in EU & it states it there. Make sure it is on 'tourist' before clicking .

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/insurance/validity-tourist/united-kingdom/index_en.htm

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It says all that on my Spanish insurances & at the bottom of the certificate is a 'green card'. But has no validity unless signed ,dated, stamped by agent/insurer.As the vehicle is insured here, not the person, any additional drivers on the green card part have to be specifically named when driving out of Spain.

It covers the minimum required.Them asking you to pay for a 'green card' extends the full comp bit.

That's how it should be but isn't with most.Additionally you might well find that it only covers the owner or named driver.

Here are the EU rules

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/insurance/validity/index_en.htm#!lightbox-uid-1

click on 'country' to bring up UK policy holder driving in EU & it states it there. Make sure it is on 'tourist' before clicking .

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/insurance/validity-tourist/united-kingdom/index_en.htm

Well the vehicle, rather than the person, is insured in the UK too. However UK policies state the drivers who are insured for the vehicle (very few have any driver unless they are dealers), and they are the same whether in the UK or in the rest of the EU.

Not sure how long you have been in Spain but UK insurances with regards to driving in the EU were made much simpler a few years ago. Your reference to "most" being different is not correct I think. When I was comparing both motorhome and scooter insurances all of them allowed for at least 90 days insurance in the EU (Safeguard is all year I think). The only time you need a green card is if you are outside of the EU.

I have looked at the link you have posted and there is no mention of the need to tell your insurers or obtain a green card. But it does make it clear that if you are insured in the UK then you are, at least, third party insured in the rest of Europe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back