Garmin Sat nav (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Do people find these satisfactory in Europe and the UK?. After buying one for touring we heard the Chinese one was,better but don't really want to shell out again. We're happy with the Garmin so far in England. How have you found it?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have a Garmin nuvi 2595 and am generally happy with it's performance in Europe and am not considering changing it until it dies.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We are out here now using Garmin Dezl it works fine had it for three years now but like all sat nav's it does have its moments I have to say far and few between.
You sometimes have to use common sense and do your own thing if you believe it's wrong.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Here is my experience with both the Chineses and Garmin sat navs....

Chinese sat nav last 3 months, screen threw a wobbly and never came back on.....only used it a few times.:mad:

Bought a Garmin nuvi 2597 LM and went to Black Sea, Romania and back and it was flawless:)

Hope this helps in making your sat nav purchase;)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Been using a zumo 660 for about 5 years now. It is a motorcycle sat nav. I use it on the bike, in the car and in the motorhome. So far it has been excellent . I suggest you download basecamp as it is very good and very easy to use re route planning.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks. You mean download base camp on our Garmin or is it a website? Sorry not sure what you mean glenn

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Thanks. You mean download base camp on our Garmin or is it a website? Sorry not sure what you mean glenn
Base camp is a programme for the PC that allows you to download your maps from the Garmin and do route planning with a better GUI then upload the planned route back to the GPS. Try as I might I just can't get the hang of base camp, I think it's one of the least intuitive pieces of software I have used for years! Now Google maps has downloadable offline databases I will be mainly using that and the Garmin for camera and speed warnings and a second opinion and traffic data.

?

Deleted User
Prefer android myself as its faster. Few people i know with Garmin prefer the Tyre or TNT software to basecamp for route plotting but its each to there own i suppose.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We currently have the garmin camper. No problems at all with it. BaseCamp is still something I need to put some effort into. As someone said .. it's not very intuitive.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think it's one of the least intuitive pieces of software I have used for years!

I need to put some effort into. As someone said .. it's not very intuitive.

Have a read through this.. Getting to grips with BaseCamp .. it's worth the effort..

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...g-to-grips-with-it.117985/page-2#post-1600184

In answer to the OP..
forget the Chinese sat navs, I bought one thinking it would be better than my Garmin... it was a load of junk.. poor screen resolution, couldn't see it in normal light , clunky software.. send it back and got a full refund..

Garmin are world leaders in sat navs.. in 1991 the US Army were their first customer..

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We got the Garmin Nuvu - I didn't know about the Camper. Is it much better ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I can't speak for Europe but the Garmin Camper 760 is pretty good in the UK. None of these machines is perfect though. I was using a Nozatec as a backup to it until the discoveries over the last week about it using pirate software. I've just ordered a Mio Spirit 6970LM Truck to use with the Garmin instead of the Nozatec (I like toys).

I have a Garmin Nuvi 2569 for use in the car. It is very similar to the Camper 760 in terms of interface and software but the Camper has the extra feature of dealing with large vehicles.

I would echo what @scotjimland said about Basecamp.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I have a Garmin Camper. Unlike most people on this thread I am extremely disappointed with it. Abysmally slow downloads, detailed mapping not always up to date and and some route planning bizarre in the extreme. The support team in Southampton are friendly and helpful, I seem to know them all personally as I've spent so long talking to them. But hey as the guy who took a 2 lb lump hammer to his last TomTom it's probably me.:D

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have a Garmin Camper. Unlike most people on this thread I am extremely disappointed with it. Abysmally slow downloads, detailed mapping not always up to date and and some route planning bizarre in the extreme. The support team in Southampton are friendly and helpful, I seem to know them all personally as I've spent so long talking to them. But hey as the guy who took a 2 lb lump hammer to his last TomTom it's probably me.:D
I'm surprised you find the downloads slow. I updated both the Camper and Nuvi last week and they were both a lot quicker than predicted. I would suspect a problem with your ISP's broadband speed more than a problem with the Garmin server.
We've had a couple of routing problems which I've reported to the support team with positive responses.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I'm surprised you find the downloads slow. I updated both the Camper and Nuvi last week and they were both a lot quicker than predicted. I would suspect a problem with your ISP's broadband speed more than a problem with the Garmin server.
We've had a couple of routing problems which I've reported to the support team with positive responses.
Our fibre download speed is 90 megs at work and 10 megs at home Graham...Garmin downloads at around 600kbs when in a good mood:D

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have a Garmin always worked well but don't use it much,only to find somewhere in a town for instance, and now prefer to use Copilot on my iPhone.
That seems a lot quicker and easier to use.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
GJH
I gather you have the Garmin Nuvi and Camper?
We were thinking of getting a back up and already have a Nuvi. Does it make sense to get a Camper or better to get a different make for whatever reason for comparison routes or general backup?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We have a Garmin always worked well but don't use it much,only to find somewhere in a town for instance, and now prefer to use Copilot on my iPhone.
That seems a lot quicker and easier to use.
Have co pilot on my tablet and can't but agree, simple to use for a simple mind like mine and cheeeeeeeeeap:D

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It must be you. Maybe the server is looking over its shoulder for that lump hammer :LOL:
I think you may be right. My latest chum in Garmin Southampton (Samantha no less) suggested I uninstall Netframework 4 and reinstall. I run Windows 7 Pro on a brand new laptop. Any thoughts, bearing in mind I am a moron?:rolleyes:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
GJH
I gather you have the Garmin Nuvi and Camper?
We were thinking of getting a back up and already have a Nuvi. Does it make sense to get a Camper or better to get a different make for whatever reason for comparison routes or general backup?
I had a TomTom Go Live 820 which I used in both car and van but then after seeing reports on here just over 2 years ago, bought a Nozatec because the TomTom didn't have a large vehicle option. There were a few times that the Nozatec froze so when Aldi had the offer on the Camper 760 last year I bought one of them. As I said, it isn't perfect so I was using the Nozatec as a backup.
I liked the Garmin interface and software so bought the Nuvi 2569 to use in the car and gave the TomTom to a friend
I'm replacing the Nozatec with the Mio so that I have a "second opinion" plus I like toys :)

Somebody posted earlier this week that some Aldi stores still have the Camper 760 left over and they have been marked down to £129.99. That might be something to look out for.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think you may be right. My latest chum in Garmin Southampton (Samantha no less) suggested I uninstall Netframework 4 and reinstall. I run Windows 7 Pro on a brand new laptop. Any thoughts, bearing in mind I am a moron?:rolleyes:
Do you actually need .Net Framework 4 or can you just dump it completely? I've always avoided using .Net since it was first published as it has always appeared to me to be nothing more than an expensive overhead.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
As well as our garmin camper we have the factory supplied garmin in the car which also works well for us.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Before we bought our first sat nav we looked around at all models, being sailors Garmin came out top for us, we have trusted our Garmin sat systems at sea so felt confident that the road version would be as reliable, have to say we own 3 Garmin sat nav and all of them have ben excellent, easy to install new maps and easy to set up with their user friendly menus.

Had to replace the batteries with more powerful options after years of use which was an easy enough task, our latest edition the new Avtex screened Garmin Caravan club 760 is excellent and easy to use and very clear readable 6" screen.
So I guess we are supporters of the Garmin range.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Do you actually need .Net Framework 4 or can you just dump it completely? I've always avoided using .Net since it was first published as it has always appeared to me to be nothing more than an expensive overhead.
As I said Graham, I'm a moron, not even sure what it's supposed to do.....if not needed I won't reinstall. :dogthanks:

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Trying to see if Aldi still has any Garmin Campers left at the offer price.
They have a totally wacko website haha
Searched sat nav and got SATurated NAVy
I think they must be all gone however:(

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Trying to see if Aldi still has any Garmin Campers left at the offer price.
They have a totally wacko website haha
Searched sat nav and got SATurated NAVy
I think they must be all gone however:(
It was Broken Link Removed from @PeteH on Sunday that I remember. May be worth asking if it was just a particular branch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back