Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2012
We are heading off to Sicily next week. The current plan is to drive down through Italy, and would be grateful for any top tips and advice :blusher:!

Are the Aree di Sostas generally open in February/ March?

Also - Italy and Greece have been in the news again this week with the migrant crisis and wondered if anyone there recently have seen any impact on motorhome travelling and stopovers?

Many thanks in advance :happy:!

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Sorry All, can't answer your questions but would be interested in hearing how long you expect the journey down to Greece will take?
Thanks. Pete

OP
OP
A

allez

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2012
Hi Pete - we are only going as far as Sicily. But, I know lots of others who have headed for Greece via the various ferries from Italy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi Pete - we are only going as far as Sicily. But, I know lots of others who have headed for Greece via the various ferries from Italy.
Thanks, but how long do you expect it to take you to get down to southern Italy, are you touring around on the way or driving directly to Sicily?

OP
OP
A

allez

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2012
Hi Pete. We'll take about 6 driving days - maybe more - from Calais and go via Frejus tunnel. You could do it much faster if you wanted to put in lots of daily driving hours (its about 23 total driving hours from a route planner) May take the Genoa ferry one way - but certainly drive at least one way through Italy. We will see some of the sights on the way ... but how long we potter will depend on how the mood takes us ... weather, whether we really love a place or not. So, a grand plan .... and then see how it goes along the way. Have you done the journey before?

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi Al. Been to Italy a few times but never driven down. Thanks for the info. Hope you get some answers to your OP.
Have a good trip whatever you do. Pete.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We go to Italy every summer, toll free via Belgium - Strasbourg - Alsace. Then either through Switzerland or Toll free via Austria.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My understanding is the drive down to the bottom of Italy is pretty long and tedious and the ferry from Genoa to Sicily is an option worth considering. Cost-wise I don't think there is much in it. @YukonJac has just done it.

OP
OP
A

allez

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2012
DBK - Thanks for that. I'm seriously considering the Genoa ferry ... at least one way. I got a quote over the weekend (which included a "dog cabin") and I think you are right there would be little in it cost wise. Thankyou :)

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Lots to see as you travel down through Italy. I'm in Greece (the Peloppense) at the moment and have seen more Romany than migrants. Feel much safer than I did in Spain or Italy.

Dick

OP
OP
A

allez

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Dick. How did you find travelling down through Italy if you don't mind me asking?
TIA, Alex :happy:

OP
OP
A

allez

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2012
Both lol!! I've "done" Spain a few times, Portugal once and France lots. So I'm excited to be exploring somewhere new :).

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Migrants much more evident in Italy. Particularly African ones, hanging outside of supermarkets offering to carry your shopping and hoping for the 50c in the trolley. In the car parks of the cities you would see them "policing" it. Often offering to go to the pay and display machine for people.

They all spoke English, seemed reasonably educated and were not at all threatening. In deed In a couple of places we wilded in the car park and watched the interaction with locals. Some (including lone elderly women) seemed to banter with them as if they were regulars.

Totally different to the often drunk local down and outs that you see "reserving" parking spaces for you in Iberia who would get belligerent if you didn't tip a least a euro even if you ignored them.

As too things of interest there are plenty down Italy although after the Bay of Naples there is probably more of interest on the east side in Puglia. In winter pick your route carefully when crossing from one side to the other as it is pretty mountainous and snow can be problem.

Dick

OP
OP
A

allez

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2012
Dick - thank you - thats fantastic information :smiley:! We'll let you know how we get on. Hope you are enjoying Greece. Best wishes, Alex

OP
OP
A

allez

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2012
Sorry All, can't answer your questions but would be interested in hearing how long you expect the journey down to Greece will take?
Thanks. Pete
An update on our journey. Very good and easy trip down to Sicily. Took a Wednesday evening tunnel to Calais (overnight in St Omer), two hops down to Genoa for the ferry and were in Palermo by the Saturday evening. 21 hour crossing - dog and I in v comfortable cabin. We're ejoying Sicily!

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
An update on our journey. Very good and easy trip down to Sicily. Took a Wednesday evening tunnel to Calais (overnight in St Omer), two hops down to Genoa for the ferry and were in Palermo by the Saturday evening. 21 hour crossing - dog and I in v comfortable cabin. We're ejoying Sicily!

Thanks for the update. Have a great trip! Got a feeling there are interesting catacombs in Palermo, great place to spend the night!!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Who did you book the ferry with please?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back