Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
If anyone is interested, I've started a wee blog on all aspects of my Sicilian trip...feel free to sign up and follow. I'm here until Easter and taking it slowly, but I'd be happy to answer any questions I possibly can - just leave them as comments on the blog itself.
All the best!

Jacquie

https://murphnjacagogo.wordpress.com

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Hello!! I'm next door at Scarabeo - close to the beach. I'm heading out early tomorrow for a couple of days - going to Enna and Etna. You here for a while? There are a couple of other funsters here - come say hi tomorrow. Gary (flatpackchicken) is in the big Frankia right on the beach wall - he has a funster sticker on his back window. Very friendly bunch here. I'll be back for the Bocce tournament on Weds so hope to meet you then!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

allez

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2012
Hi Jacquie! I'm also a solo-gal with camper/ dog/ bike! Just been enjoying reading your blog :smiley:! I'm travelling down to Sicily next month with some friends. Our current plan is to drive down through Italy and I wondered if you knew whether the Aree di Sostas were generally open this time of year? And any other top tips for Sicily? TIA :blusher:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Tried registering on the blog but it seemed to want me to sign up for a WordPress website. Odd, but I'll try again on another device later.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I have clicked to follow you. Blogs that are not done as a thread on here often get forgotten by me so now I get an email when you add to it. Saves my brain having to work.
Enjoy the island.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Hi Jacquie! I'm also a solo-gal with camper/ dog/ bike! Just been enjoying reading your blog :smiley:! I'm travelling down to Sicily next month with some friends. Our current plan is to drive down through Italy and I wondered if you knew whether the Aree di Sostas were generally open this time of year? And any other top tips for Sicily? TIA :blusher:
Hi Allez,
Very cool! I took the Genoa ferry down this time but several years ago I drove to Bari to get the ferry to Greece. It was off season and I only used sostas. At that time, it was a bit difficult to find decent, free or reasonably-priced sostas but I managed. Sometimes no water (off in case of freeze), sometimes in a dire state of disrepair, sometimes lovely with all facilities you could need. I'm using this excellent website now: http://www.campercontact.com/en/
I downloaded all the POIs to my Garmin and when online, you can get very good reviews - sometimes photos - mostly from Dutch motorhomers on various sostas, campsites and motorhome parking areas. I use the free version but you can pay a small amount for an all-bells version. Have a play with it before you go. There are of course traditional aires and sostas books available on the internet.
Top tips for Sicily? Keep an open mind! It's not the easiest place to tour with a motorhome but it's very unique and worthwhile. I do not regret having a campsite as a base and doing daytrips or overnighters and coming back here. Just got back late last night after a spectacular 2 days between Enna and Etna. All will be in the next blog instalment shortly!
Any more questions, feel free -
Good luck in your planning
Jacquie

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Tried registering on the blog but it seemed to want me to sign up for a WordPress website. Odd, but I'll try again on another device later.
Let me know how you get on DBK - looks like my last subscriber got on. There's two means as far as I can see - a 'follow me' button, and a ' get email notifications of a new post' button. I'm a real greenhorn on the technicalities of WP so I'm not too sure what's up. A big disappointment is that if I reply to people's comments on the blog, they don't get sent a notification of the reply. Still working on a solution for that.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Let me know how you get on DBK - looks like my last subscriber got on. There's two means as far as I can see - a 'follow me' button, and a ' get email notifications of a new post' button. I'm a real greenhorn on the technicalities of WP so I'm not too sure what's up. A big disappointment is that if I reply to people's comments on the blog, they don't get sent a notification of the reply. Still working on a solution for that.
Panic over, it seems to be working now and I have registered. There was a different button yesterday, no idea what that was about!

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Great blog and photos. We spent nearly 2 months a couple of years ago touring Italy and Sicily with our 2CV van. A mixture of camping and hotels. We were mainly on the north coast of Sicily but we did visit Taormina (spelling ?) and Mt Etna. We also tried to see some fields of boiling mud in the south west but they had been shut due to an accident a few weeks before.

allez

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2012
Hi Jacquie - thanks for all the details - thats brilliant. I've used camper contact before - and yes the reviews are great as you feel you're getting good up-to-date info on the place.
I'm really excited about exploring somewhere new - and looking forward to the next instalment of your blog :blusher:! Safe travelling and maybe bump into you when we are down there!
xx

allez

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2012
Hilldweller - you've inspired me and I've just borrowed my friends box set of Inspector Montalbano to take with us. Just to get us in the mood for Sicily :coolest:!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hilldweller - you've inspired me and I've just borrowed my friends box set of Inspector Montalbano to take with us. Just to get us in the mood for Sicily :coolest:!

Just watching the few Young Montalbanos I recorded. It's very entertaining spoiled only by having to read sub titles and miss the scenery. It's amazing how well they Young one matches the old one in terms of looks and mannerisms.

It's a fair old drive, we've driven down as far as Sorrento so far. Love Sorrento, apart from the ants.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Great blog and photos. We spent nearly 2 months a couple of years ago touring Italy and Sicily with our 2CV van. A mixture of camping and hotels. We were mainly on the north coast of Sicily but we did visit Taormina (spelling ?) and Mt Etna. We also tried to see some fields of boiling mud in the south west but they had been shut due to an accident a few weeks before.
A 2CV van!! I always dreamt of having one - I had 2 x 2CVs - named them after French aunts (Tante Cecile and Tante Elise). Would love to see a photo of yours in touring mode...

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Hi Jacquie - thanks for all the details - thats brilliant. I've used camper contact before - and yes the reviews are great as you feel you're getting good up-to-date info on the place.
I'm really excited about exploring somewhere new - and looking forward to the next instalment of your blog :blusher:! Safe travelling and maybe bump into you when we are down there!
xx
Look me up - I think I'm going to have to tear myself away from Sicily come April/May. Until then, I'll still be flitting about.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
A 2CV van!! I always dreamt of having one - I had 2 x 2CVs - named them after French aunts (Tante Cecile and Tante Elise). Would love to see a photo of yours in touring mode...
Here you are. It's an Acadiane actually but it's easier to describe it as a 2CV van to most people.
Albert_alpine_pass.jpg Albert_camping.jpg journeys_goal.jpg

Reactions: DBK

Eamless

Free Member
Nov 29, 2013
London
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi we are currently in Sicily. To be precise by the castle in Enna on our way to the carnivale at acireale. We have been round the north and west including Palermo. If you want somewhere to stay I have updated our blog with all the stopovers we have been to. Apart from one they are all free. And rubbish free. the web address is www.eamlesstravels.com just click on the 'our journey' tab. They include a small review and picture.
Cheers

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Hi we are currently in Sicily. To be precise by the castle in Enna on our way to the carnivale at acireale. We have been round the north and west including Palermo. If you want somewhere to stay I have updated our blog with all the stopovers we have been to. Apart from one they are all free. And rubbish free. the web address is www.eamlesstravels.com just click on the 'our journey' tab. They include a small review and picture.
Cheers
Good spot by the castle - almost stayed there last week but ended up just across the gap in Calascibetta, by the convent. Excellent and very useful blog, thanks! I reckon I'll be exploring up there Feb-March - may even cycle tour it all from here in the SE but it depends on weather and light. I hope you enjoy carnivale!

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Jac. How early did you turn up for the ferry from Genoa? Was hoping to turn up about 5 or 6 just to get there in daylight. Going to book for 24th or 25th in the next few days.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Jac. How early did you turn up for the ferry from Genoa? Was hoping to turn up about 5 or 6 just to get there in daylight. Going to book for 24th or 25th in the next few days.
Whoohoo! Well, I don't think I can be of much help regarding how early you can turn up - I had a nice place to spend the day just west of Genoa so I stretched it out there. Got to the port about 4 hours before sailing. I really don't think you'll have a problem though, just make sure you have your ticket printed out - I didn't and had to scramble into the terminal building. No obvious place to park and a long queue to get it all done. Have a wee look on google street/earth to get an idea of the layout perhaps. If you're out our way around Punta Braccetto, come around for a G & T! Happy trails!!

allez

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2012
Look me up - I think I'm going to have to tear myself away from Sicily come April/May. Until then, I'll still be flitting about.
Hi Jacquie

Just had a read of your latest blog entries - thanks for posting them. We arrived in Sicily a couple of weeks ago and have been making our way anti-clockwise around the coast (Erice, Selinute, Agrigento etc) ... with a few days inland to Piazza Armerina & Pantalica and lunch in Ragusa yesterday.... and are now in Camping Scarabeo for a few days. Loving it all - especially the sunny weather at the moment. If you're about we'll come and say hi !
Alex

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back