Funny how my mind works sometimes ! (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I was sat on the toilet at home the other day and my mind started to wander, as it often does.
The question I was asking myself was, on a MH/RV with a black water tank fitted what stops the smell coming back from the tank into the vehicle ?

At home there is the U bend with water in it that acts as a trap preventing smells from coming from the waste pipe.
On a MH fitted with a cassette toilet there is the Sliding valve thingy.

This may be obvious to many people, but not to me.
Please help put my troubled mind at rest. :notworthy2:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
A sliding valve thingy and a breather pipe for the black tank that exits on the roof.
The kids say that is how Father Christmas gets in. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Do we really want to know? Isn't it better some things remain a mystery, otherwise what have future generations got to look forward to discovering?

And no, I am not sitting on the Throne to dream up that bit of philosophy. Perhaps I should be? * :)

*Answers NOT required!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
To return to original question, we have a black tank with a macerator (just to make it even more thought provoking), the macerator forms a restriction above which we retain the equivalent of a U bend full of water

Our problem is however still real, despite being told by many of the wise ones on here that mine must vent to the roof area, in my early days I felt obliged to believe them all but still couldn't find a vent, now know they were wrong all along o_O and mine does vent down to the floor, which in turn leads to whiffs back inside :(

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Mine is a marine toilet & it has only the rubber seal on the slid valve to prevent smells returning.This is aided by water laying above the slide valve once flushed.
There is no vent pipe-

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back