May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,
Thinking of going to France for a month in June with our MH for the first time. Thing is, although I've driven many thousands of miles in France, Germany, Italy etc. in a car when the kids were young, I'm a bit apprehensive about driving the MH over there. Added to this, there seems to be so many different ways to tour France and use the sites over there i.e. Aires, ACSI, Camping Cheques etc. that I'm getting a bit confused.
Is there anyone going to France in June who we could meet up with for a day or so to get a few pointers, (and maybe beforehand would be useful). Our plan at the moment is to travel at beginning of June and eventually get down to the midi-Pyrenees region.
Cheers.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Its as easy driving a motorhome in France as it s a car. Honestly, you won't find an easier country.
Get the Aires book and/or an ACSI card and you're made.
I lived in the Midi Pyrenees, an hour south of Toulouse for a year, such a beautiful area.
Go and enjoy!

Clewsy

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2014
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin
Exp
since June 2014
We came across to France in the MH for the first time on Saturday 23rd and are heading to Spain. Have now reached Biaritz and it has been great so far. Roads much better than UK, less traffic and have enjoyed the driving (not to mention the food and wine). We have not used a toll road so far and it has been a doddle. A bit foggy in the North of France but sunny and a balmy 19 C today.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
After the crowded roads in the UK driving in France is a joy.
Just take it easy at first and within a few Km you will be feeling quite comfortable.
France is the roundabout capital of the world, they just love em and put them on every junction they can, so you will need to take a little extra care until you get used to the direction that other vehicles are coming from. Oh, the French rarely indicate when negotiating their beloved roundabouts so you need to be on the ball. (n)
Unless you're in a tearing hurry just keep the distances low for the first few days so you don't feel stressed and enjoy your trip.

Richard.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
We are going over on June the 10th which part of France are you thinking of visiting and what crossing I only take the aires books and the acsi books never book always seem to be plenty of pitches in JuneJune

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
France is just too easy. So many campsites and so many aires. Just as kelv said, with the ACSI book and All The Aires from Vicarious books you are made.

Try and avoid toll roads, rip off price and definitely do not buy fuel on motorways even more rip off, buy in a supermarket.

Simples.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only one fact you need to know about France, it's MOTORHOME HEAVEN(y)

Seriously, you won't need any help it is just so easy. Aires are a great way of discovering France, two of the best apps for Aires are Promobil & Camper Contact

OP
OP
ian4apenny
May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you one and all for all your comments. Confidence boosted no end and booking the ferry/tunnel tomorrow!
Thank you Kelv, but we are going over around 1st June. Thanks also Lenny HB, tell me do you just "roll up" to these Aires for the night? Do they have loos, hookups and what is the approx. cost?

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thank you one and all for all your comments. Confidence boosted no end and booking the ferry/tunnel tomorrow!
Thank you Kelv, but we are going over around 1st June. Thanks also Lenny HB, tell me do you just "roll up" to these Aires for the night? Do they have loos, hookups and what is the approx. cost?

You can't book a place on an aire, you just turn up and if you see a space you fancy you park in it, simple as that. If you get the All The Aires book or similar you will see what sort of facilities each aire has. Some have fresh water, waste disposal and electricity, some nothing at all.

We usually get our travelling done in the morning and arrive at our chosen aire by about lunchtime, always found a space whereas later in the day they can get crowded - should be okay in June though. Always have a backup plan in case your first choice is not to your liking.

Driving in France is dead easy. As has been said on here before, within half an hour of driving off the train / ferry you will wonder what you were worrying about.

Paul

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When using Aires, if it has free water, fill-up as the next one may charge for water. I also carry a 2 litre milk bottle of water in the toilet compartment for flushing cassette out because some Aires you can empty cassette free but may not give water for it ( you can also use your grey waste to swill out your cassette)
Just go an have fun.

Aminthule

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
Great to read all these positive, encouraging responses. I've never driven abroad and am taking motorhome to France in July/August (school holidays) - I particularly liked "Unless you're in a tearing hurry just keep the distances low for the first few days so you don't feel stressed and enjoy your trip."! Have a great trip ian4apenny.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
One thing you might like to consider is using the peage motorways or not. They are great If travelling long distances or whilst getting round the larger cities but France is also famous for their good, smaller roads. If you are not in a hurry, use the smaller roads, you will see and enjoy much more of France that way and of course, save on toll fees..

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
They generally don't have toilets and showers, I guess the people that provide Aires assume as you have a motorhome, you will just use your own.
Some have hookups, but mostly a time limited hookup at the service point just to give your batteries a boost for a half hour and will cost you a couple of euros.
Aires costs vary from free up to around €10. Generally half that, but we like to stay on the free ones, water will be either free or cost you a couple of euros to fill up.
As others have said, France is very motorhome friendly. Just relax and enjoy yourself, there are thousands of Aires and most if not all of them will have spaces in June. If you travel in peak season, you need to be getting to an aire around 3 pm at the latest, though many people turn up late at the larger sites and manage to park. Coastal Aires will be busy all year round.
As to toll roads, there are no toll roads in Brittany......yet

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
You can't book a place on an aire

@ian4apenny Except with Camping car park
A good aires company! You can buy a golden card online which allows you to BOOK! it's 24 euros/*year (4 euros for the card, and 20 euros for the booking facilities all year long)
There's an English version of the site, but they seem to have some technical prob at the moment. Have a go and see if you can see that English version. top left there's a little French flag, click on the arrow just below it, then click on English flag!
If any question, ask me, I can phone them to give you an answer.

Amicalement

Frankie:)

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
It's really much easier than you think it will be. The roads are fab, they even have to slow down in the rain, unlike this country !! We use little roads a lot, but also, when heading straight down south to Provence/Cote d'azure, we use the big toll toads. We have a Sanef tag, well worth you buying to be honest, then when you come to tolls you won't stress, you drive straight thro them and your UK bank account will have the money taken out. We have the aires book for emergencies, but usually love french campsites, great atmosphere, well spaced, pretty and loads have wonderful pools too. For the camping we use our ACSI card and phone app, never failed to find a wonderful site with no booking. If necessary we will also use a muncipal camp site.

Overall the french just love camping so it's an amazing way to spend time. Just lunch in the hot part of the day with the specials and snack in the evenings.

We're leaving on 9th June for 3 weeks, heading down to Provence/Cote d'azure, so may pass you nearby at some point. :) :france::wine:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Ian, fellow 484
We are hoping to go over in June at this stage not sure of dates as son & family have said they may come over to the island end of may /early june .
You will have no problems over there as long as you have a good satnav ( supports GPS co.ords & size of moho) . I always take my tablet & mifi so that I can look up either campercontact or municipal sites in france, I also do a bit of research on aires in the area we plan to visit before I go .
Any other help or suggestions just ask
Terry

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you want to get an idea of whats available look at search for sites.co.uk if you google it create a log in (I'm pretty sure its free) and drag the centre circle to an area in france it shows the aires and sites with costs and often pictures. If you don't like motorhoming in france you won't like it anywhere its great.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Ian @ian4apenny
We are likewise, things may alter since we've had death in the family ( one of my elderly aunts whose in her mid 80's) unfortunately that leaves me (as the only kin locally here on the island) with the other aunt slightly older & disabled to look after etc.
Dates look more like 2nd week june if we get to go.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
One thing not mentioned is get used to using co-ordinates on your sat.nav. French addresses are not good or accutate and post codes cover huge areas wheras co-ordinates almost alwsys take you where you need to be. Oh and check your route on a paper map as sat nav is a little tinker in cutting corners off for no good reason and taking you up less than suitable roads.
Hey do not let this put you off, we love it that much we now live here

OP
OP
ian4apenny
May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks Laneside, I assumed that the postcodes weren't useful, as they aren't much good to find country property in UK either!:Grin:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Agree with all that's been said. One thing we found on our first trip was that each country has its own brands of gas. You won't find Calor Gas over there. One solution is to buy French gas bottles and connectors. Not a major problem, but one to consider.

Use supermarket petrol stations to buy your gas.

Wyn

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
When using supermarkets it's easier if the kiosk is manned , as some of the machines for paying don't always except uk cards.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
One thing not mentioned is get used to using co-ordinates on your sat.nav. French addresses are not good or accutate and post codes cover huge areas wheras co-ordinates almost alwsys take you where you need to be. Oh and check your route on a paper map as sat nav is a little tinker in cutting corners off for no good reason and taking you up less than suitable roads.
Hey do not let this put you off, we love it that much we now live here
And remember there are three different ways of entering co ords , all similar but if you don't enter the right type you can be miles out.

OP
OP
ian4apenny
May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
And remember there are three different ways of entering co ords , all similar but if you don't enter the right type you can be miles out.

Hi Chaser,
Can you enlarge upon that please? Just tell me the right way.
Cheers
Ian

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Google maps also works if you have a signal. In relation to the gas issue, we just bought a Camping Gaz straight off, tiny bit more expensive to buy in the first place, but if need to change in france no hassle. Tho to be fair, we've had the same little gas bottle for 2 yrs !!!! Tend to use the electric hob when on hook up to save gas ;)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Ian,
depending on how long you go,
I take 2 full 6kg propane & we go for 3 weeks & haven't run out but have gone into the second bottle, also I take a 907 camping gas bottle to use for m B.B.Q.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We don't use the motorways, we stick to 'normal' roads which are far better than UK roads and hardly any traffic.
Nearly every village of any size or town has an Aire of some description, find your Aire-use "All the Aires" book from Vicarious books- if there is space park up, if there isn't space just trundle on to the next one!
Note: you can't treat an Aire like a 5 van site. Do not put chairs & tables out, if you need to roll the awning out put the legs onto the van (you can get special attachments for this) you may not have room though!
Some Aires have some grass nearby and you could put a chair out to sit in the sun. Some Aires are really just like large car parks. Best to just 'play it by ear' watch what others are doing and follow.
Some Aires are totally free, some are free to stop but will charge for services, and some will charge for everything.
I always make sure all our drinking water battles are full before leaving an Aire, if I can.
Never, never put the drinking water tap/hose/whatever into your drinking bottles/cans always fill from a distance, we have seen people using drinking water taps to rinse out their poo boxes and they're not particular about what's touching where?
Basically it's all common sense, go and enjoy yourselves, once you've done it you will long to go again!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back