New power inlet & sealant query (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I need a new power inlet (100mmX100mm type) as the lid on mine finally gave up the ghost and went from split to bust on Saturday. Despite visiting 3 outlets yesterday (1 motorhome, I caravan and I site mixed) none had one in stock, they could all order me one but I thought I could do that myself. Today looking on eBay there seems to be a big difference in prices for what looks the same product, I don’t want to get a cheap copy as this is an important safety issue part, so can anybody recommend a product or seller befor I go back to the nearest outlet.

I’m also going to need some non-setting mastic, I’ll get a few tubes as I’ve some others area that the over seal seams seem to be getting dry and will need cleaning and replacing soon. I remember @Terry recommending a sealant from (I think) screwfix but I can’t find the thread now.

When I clean off the old sealant I suppose I will need to deep clean the area with a sprite based solvent? Will white sprite do this or will that take off the paint, if so what’s the correct stuff to use?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Terry recommended Puraflex 40 from Toolstation as a sealant - and very good it is too. I've just re-sealed round the roof/wall and window joints with it on our van.

Non-setting mastic is different, though. After seeing recommendations I bought some Broken Link Removed, which is also very good.

So, both good products but it depends on the job you are doing as to which is the one to use.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The German "ABL" ones are most common on German vans, just ask the supplier to confirm the manufacturer before ordering.
Shouldn't need any sealant on the inlet they come with a foam gasket.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
ok, no sealant on the inlet, Ill check with autotrail to see if they do the inlets at a competitive cost.

The sealant is for going around the locker edges, and along the strips that autotrail seem to put everywhere, its starting to dry up and need cleaning resealing.

Talking of cleaning the old off, Im pressuming a plastic "silicon removel tool" with be best to get the old stuff off, but what about cleaning area befor resealing?

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
just orderd the part from Magans, I think they are a trusted supplier, no I just pop in toolstation next time Im over that side of town for the puraflex 40

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
ok, no sealant on the inlet, Ill check with autotrail to see if they do the inlets at a competitive cost.

The sealant is for going around the locker edges, and along the strips that autotrail seem to put everywhere, its starting to dry up and need cleaning resealing.

Talking of cleaning the old off, Im pressuming a plastic "silicon removel tool" with be best to get the old stuff off, but what about cleaning area befor resealing?
Having just done a similar job, I used one of those plastic silicone removal tools to start with (one I've had for some time, can't remember when/where I bought it). I then just made sure there was no residual muck. As with many sealants, it's well worth keeping the tube in a warm place for a while if the outside temperatures are chilly.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Having just done a similar job, I used one of those plastic silicone removal tools to start with (one I've had for some time, can't remember when/where I bought it). I then just made sure there was no residual muck. As with many sealants, it's well worth keeping the tube in a warm place for a while if the outside temperatures are chilly.

I was going to wait a while till the sun shines a little more than a present but thats a great tip,

Thanks

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was going to wait a while till the sun shines a little more than a present but thats a great tip,

Thanks
We had a "heads up" about re-sealing a week and a half ago when we had the hab service. Luckily that afternoon was dry and not too cold so I did the two seams in most need but the sealant was a little bit stiff to squeeze out of the tube. Next time the weather gave me a chance was last Saturday, when I did the rest. In the meantime the tube had been on a warm windowsill and was much easier to work with.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
As Graham @GJH says Puraflex 40 from toolstation (y) and even though the inlet come with a foam seal use the puraflex as well (y)(y):D

thanks @Terry, can I pick your skill & brains, Ive got an area of ceiling board where the vinyl/fabric top coat is puckering, I think the area had been damp with the first owner.

(the boards in the rear quarter about 2 foot square and touchs on the big roof light and into the rear corner. By the look of the sealant over the rear ladder screws it was getting in there),
but in the 5 years Ive had the van theres been no sign of damp so why its started to peel now is anybodys guess. Do I need to replace the board or can the fabric top coat be peeled and restuck?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As Graham @GJH says Puraflex 40 from toolstation (y) and even though the inlet come with a foam seal use the puraflex as well (y)(y):D
Hi Terry, :)

Does the Puraflex PU40 have a decent shelf life? I want to add a tube to my essential tool kit, along with a roll of W4 mastic tape. :)
The tubes of Korapop that Hymer AG sold me (along with new roof seals), were out of date within six months, and before we had decent enough weather to do the job. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
thanks @Terry, can I pick your skill & brains, Ive got an area of ceiling board where the vinyl/fabric top coat is puckering, I think the area had been damp with the first owner.

(the boards in the rear quarter about 2 foot square and touchs on the big roof light and into the rear corner. By the look of the sealant over the rear ladder screws it was getting in there),
but in the 5 years Ive had the van theres been no sign of damp so why its started to peel now is anybodys guess. Do I need to replace the board or can the fabric top coat be peeled and restuck?
Hi if you are careful you can re stick it with a Boarder adhesive or some spray contact glue -It may well be worth unscrewing the bike rack and re bedding it with the puraflex 40 -In fact you can seal/stick almost anything on the van with it (y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Terry, :)

Does the Puraflex PU40 have a decent shelf life? I want to add a tube to my essential tool kit, along with a roll of W4 mastic tape. :)
The tubes of Korapop that Hymer AG sold me (along with new roof seals), were out of date within six months, and before we had decent enough weather to do the job. :(

Cheers,

Hi Jock yes it usually comes with a year or two use by date plus lasts longer than that (y)Also unlike Sikaflex once opened it will last mths with the nossel attached -simply unscrew and fit new nossel and away you go agai,unlike Sikaflex that once opened it goes off after a day/two at the most -There is some more stuff called Stick-all that is also v/good and can be used on damp/wet surfaces (y)It also claims to work under water but I have never tested that ;):D I am not a fan of any mastic tape-every time I use it with in a few mths it leaks-I used to think it was my tape either too old or something, but even after using new tape I still got leaks -I now simply don't trust it (rubbish) Probably that's why so many van roofs leak because Manufacturers use it :D
terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Does the Puraflex PU40 have a decent shelf life?
I bought a couple of tubes a week and a half ago, not knowing how much I would need, and they have a BBE date of 11/2016 on them. As it happens I managed the immediate job with the tube I bought around July/August but only opened for this job. I think that had a May or June 2016 date on it.

Anyway, a tube only costs £4.04 so it wouldn't be the end of the world if a small amount went off.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
unlike Sikaflex that once opened it goes off after a day/two at the most
You're not wrong Terry. The German Truma engineer at Dusseldorf, cracked a brand new tube of ours to do a minor job on a cable duct at the habitation door. Despite me sealing the nozzle with a match stick and some tin foil, the whole blooming tube was totally useless within a fortnight. :(
I am not a fan of any mastic tape-every time I use it with in a few mths it leaks-I used to think it was my tape either too old or something, but even after using new tape I still got leaks -I now simply don't trust it (rubbish)
As far as I'm aware Terry, it's only used on the side skirts on our MH, having had to remove a side skirt to get the onboard generator to slide out for servicing. It's certainly not in use on the roof seals, nor on the gutterings.
Anyway, a tube only costs £4.04 so it wouldn't be the end of the world if a small amount went off.
No Graham, and it definitely wouldn't be the end of my world either. ;)

Cheers,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back