Three Mobile Mobile Broadband with Feel at Home (1 Viewer)

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Does anyone else use this? I have one of their MIFI units with a data only allowance. I'm now in France and it will connect to a local network but there is nothing to say I am using a "feel at home" network. Just a text message to tell me the normal charges for roaming.
When I had a 3 mobile phone a couple of years ago we used to receive a text message to confirm we were in a feel at home location.
I'd like to be absolutely sure I am not going to be charged if I start surfing.
I've emailed 3 support but I don't know how long it will take for them to respond

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I do not receive text messages from 3 telling me I am using 'feel at home'.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have 3G pre-paid but it keeps saying "additional charges apply" so as puzzled as you, however once it runs out that's it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Used a data sim in ipad last year, don't remember receiving anything from 3 but no extra charges. Very limited though, obviously being throttled in some way by local provider. Only good for browsing and email.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
same here, lots of messages but no extra charges.

the newer mifis that come with them are also unlocked, Im currently using ours with Maroc Telecom sim (waiting to get the van washed)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Use 3 regularly in France .. works well.
Tried using it in belgium once as I'm a ding at and didn't realise it didn't work there.

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Yes would be good to know as we have a mifi and use a 3 pre loaded data sim for mobile broadband. Has always worked well in the UK but was wondering if it would use 'feel at home' when we go to France.

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
I've been using 3 with Mifi and phone for 3 months on my uk contract with no extra charge.
Mifi is slow but phone on 3G is as good as uk
Alan
Forgot to say in Beni

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
I have a three Sim in my iphone. The option to use it as a wifi hotspot is disabled in feel at home destinations. Otherwise it is exactly as it is in the UK. Used it in France last spring and am using it in Spain now. Data roaming is always on, with no extra charges.

Our Three mifi is pretty good as well. No worse than at home. Mind you that's not saying much.

Dave

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You don't get confirmation messages.

When you're in a "Feel at Home" country you don't pay roaming charges. If you use it in a country that isn't covered you do.

It's down to you to make sure that the country you're in is covered. I've never had a problem.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You've got to buy an add-on first and apply it to your account. Their site is not particularly clear on this.
But if you use 'add-ons' they only last a month, so if you don't use your phone much it would be more cost effective just to pay the higher rate.
Just my thoughts, as I'm on tesco pay as you go.
My wife is on 3 pay as you go and keeps getting messages from 3 giving rate advice because she hasn't put 'add-ons ' on.

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I took out a monthly contract for 20Gb per month. Maybe I'm paranoid but I don't fancy getting a bill for several hundred pounds because I was connected to one of the networks they don't have an agreement with.

Mar 2, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Lowline coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2000
But if you use 'add-ons' they only last a month, so if you don't use your phone much it would be more cost effective just to pay the higher rate.
My wife is on 3 pay as you go and keeps getting messages from 3 giving rate advice because she hasn't put 'add-ons ' on.
Yes, I agree. I've used it a few times and always make sure I use the data so I get my full money's worth! But if you're a very light user it may not be worth it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I took out a monthly contract for 20Gb per month. Maybe I'm paranoid but I don't fancy getting a bill for several hundred pounds because I was connected to one of the networks they don't have an agreement with.
You'll be quite safe in France, any French network it connects to will be charged at UK rates.

The only problem is if you are near a border with a none F@H country and it logs onto a network on the "other side". This can happen for example in Spain if it connects to a Portuguese network.

However, you won't get a huge bill as by law these days they have to limit your expenditure unless of course you manually override it.

But you should be able to log on to your account and see what charges are being made.

Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
we have a 3 data only sim payg which for us worked everywhere we went in spain and most places in france but it will only connect with phone companies that it has agreement with so there are dead spots i.e. central britany which only has Orange fr. no agreed company no service for data only sims. hope this helps

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It`s Really past time the "providers" got their act together, with many of them now on the same towers, it would not take a vast technical leap to cross feed on each others networks?.

I suppose it`s the old story, "Profit" come before "Service". IF you did not have to worry about different charges in different places, More people would use the network(s), and IMHO the volume of calls would increase, as would revenue?.

I guess that is TOO simple for the Corporate mind set.

Pete

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Yes I'm on 3, pay-as-you-go, with my mob and keep getting 'Rate advice' messages but I hardly ever use my phone in UK let alone France so I'm not buying 'add-ons' as they only last a month & it won't all get used up. So if I use the mob it will be at their higher rate but will still be cheaper for me!

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
One more to say that feel at home is great for email and browsing but hopeless or impossible for anything else, even whatsapp for other than typing is hopeless, totally forget SKYPE. Streaming even the shortest video or audio is throttled in all countries outside UK. If staying more than a few days in a country I now get a local PAYG data only sim. Cheap, often from 5 euros up, depending on how many gigs you want. I also find 3/4g networks in Europe much better and less crowded than UK.

Also very easy to get local cards these days, go to the network shops that are all usually within a hundred yards of each other on the mainstreet or shopping mall. In all countries but I think Portugal you will need your passport. People in the shop do everything else and you walk out with a fully activated, unrestricted Internet connection on your mifi that is cheaper than 3 feel at home.

Dick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back