Is £432 for a habitation services for PVC (Moto-Trek) too much? (1 Viewer)

Is £432 for a habitation services for PVC (Moto-Trek) too much?

• What!!!!! Spilt tea/coffee/ beer over keyboard

Votes: 80 96.4%
  • That gold tap needs a good polish - well worth the money

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Some may remember my ongoing saga with Moto-Trek over the delivery of our PVC in 2014, the abridged version is five months late and when it did arrive it was laden with faults that any pre-delivery inspection should have picked up on - including a gas leak.

So I contacted to find out the costs of a "annual" service, to keep the warranty valid. Received the above quote, so asked for details as to what it entailed, attached. Seems like a glorified PDI - any thoughts?

Attachments

• Hab Check.pdf
    379.9 KB · Views: 154

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm surprised a PVC even needs a habitation check, mine has no requirement and this has had no impact on warranty.

Of course the fridge can be checked for soot but other than that what is there to look at you can’t check easily yourself?

However, if the dealer claims it is necessary for warranty and this is in writing then I guess you are tied - but what is the risk of not getting it done?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588

Yes but this is for a tin box, other than the gas (which they failed on initially) and the electric (which a bit of knowledge and a multi meter will solve) everything else is a visual inspection - for which they need a days labour!

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
forget all the 'HAB' Rubbish just get your LPG system pressure tested and an electrical system/fridge tested ...you can do both if your 'clued' up to it...I don't do mine anymore because I'm lazy, paid the mobile guys £26.00 last year

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
worst that can happen is a window or rooflight seal failing causing damp i would check the terms and condition to see what your actually gaining by keeping the hab warranty if a year old van was leaking i cant see that they could deny fault under the normal retail protection legislation sale of goods etc

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well not sure how long the wtty on the hab lasts anyway - but I'd be gobsmacked at the price too, and be very inclined to have it done by ABSOLUTELY anyone else that works to 'the latest AWS specs' personally!

As @Jim said - check the exact wording of the warranty though before you do.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That list is something anyone could do in less than an hour so what is the other 400 quid for?
Looking at the list, why do they need to check polarity of mains sockets, do their vans come with Gremlins that swap the wires other once it's left the factory?:D

Hab check to maintain warranty, yet another British rip-off, German vans don't require it.:)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
forget all the 'HAB' Rubbish just get your LPG system pressure tested and an electrical system/fridge tested ...you can do both if your 'clued' up to it...I don't do mine anymore because I'm lazy, paid the mobile guys £26.00 last year

Had as above done in my autocruise coachbuilt .by local mcea engineer.was here for an hour inc cup of coffee and two chocolate biscuits , £30.. ..

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I wonder if Dad will pick his up from the manufacturers / dealers before the first hab test is due?
Am I reading that right???.......your Dad still hasn't taken delivery?:eek:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
About the same at Lowdhams did it because of the warranty and its coachbuilt now pay a service plan only about 275 a year (I think can't recall exactly) On a pvc dont think I would bother but would have a hab check elsewhere by a qualified engineer and go down the legal route if a major problem later but still service the chassis side at a dealer. At the time their other branch was charging special offer £200 would't move on price I contacted MM to see if the were interested in doing a feature on the cost of hab checks but I suspect they don't want to upset their advertisers.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Decent engineer would complete that lot in two hours max. At an hourly rate of £216.00 they will be getting complaints from Solicitors and Doctors for moving on to their hallowed turf as to what is a reasonable hourly rate!!

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Am I reading that right???.......your Dad still hasn't taken delivery?:eek:

You beat me to it! That's unbelievable.

We went to collect, Dad rejected it,
we agreed the works that needed to be done, they agreed to carry them out.
We had a holiday booked for end of August - Dealer and Dad agreed that he could collect the van use it for the holiday and then take it back when we returned in September for the works to be carried out.
We have not seen the van since!
As recently as Friday Dad tried to call and they "blipped" him off!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We went to collect, Dad rejected it,
we agreed the works that needed to be done, they agreed to carry them out.
We had a holiday booked for end of August - Dealer and Dad agreed that he could collect the van use it for the holiday and then take it back when we returned in September for the works to be carried out.
We have not seen the van since!
As recently as Friday Dad tried to call and they "blipped" him off!
That's really pants...(sorry, understatement of the year)
Has he paid for it? (&sorry for being nosey)
No idea if he has any recourse........just so sorry that someone's having to go through this hassle:(

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
That's really pants...(sorry, understatement of the year)
Has he paid for it? (&sorry for being nosey)
No idea if he has any recourse........just so sorry that someone's having to go through this hassle:(
They had his old RV as part exchange C£45,000 then he paid another C£50,000 there is a small balance outstanding which he has held onto pending the works being completed, but not a significant amount :(
Really just a pain in the arse and at 73 years old Dad really doesn't need the hassle.
When we went to fetch the van, I was all for going straight to the Malvern show which was on at the time, and telling everyone, showing an interest in the Moto-trek stand, our story, but I was persuaded by the dealership not to, when they agreed to put right the works immediately "starting today if not Monday"!
Here we are 4 months later and no further forward.
At the end of the day the dealership don't want bad publicity but frankly they have had their chance as have the manufacturer

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I would look very carefully at the liquidity of a company that plays up like this, they must be running hand to mouth.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I would look very carefully at the liquidity of a company that plays up like this, they must be running hand to mouth.
The problem is the dealership blame the manufacturer and the manufacturer blame the dealership!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Nick Whale have quoted us £215 for our PVC bought new from them last march. We have to get the vehicle check done with fiat. It says its a condition of maintaining the warranty. After all the problems we've had we are going to do it but I do wonder if these things could be enforced in law.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
432 Quid for a habitation check ? F ........F...........F....................Flaming hell you are joking ?

Vanbitz one here or Dave Newell are very well respected so why not ask them directly ? I would travel rather than be robbed to the tune of 432 nicker for a relatively simple job ... Use one of the aforementioned two respected people and you will get the job done properly ...

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Any terms and conditions that demand that x is used to do any Hab work to remain within warranty is sailing VERY VERY close the legal wind.
The practice was outlawed some 10 years ago and unless any such clause is pointed out to the customer and verbally reinforced would suggest they stick their demands where the sun failed to reach !

As others have said, the quote is just ludicrous and definitely brings a new meaning to the word greed !

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Nick Whale have quoted us £215 for our PVC bought new from them last march. We have to get the vehicle check done with fiat. It says its a condition of maintaining the warranty. After all the problems we've had we are going to do it but I do wonder if these things could be enforced in law.

I would imagine if something went wrong as a result of not checking say an appliance that should have been checked then it would be unreasonable to expect warranty to be honoured . But if something goes wrong that is unrelated to the checks then it would be only fair to expect it to be fixed .

We bought our PVC from Whales... I thought they said the habitation check when due would cost us 150 quid all in... Though to be honest having seen what I have seen I would rather go elsewhere ...

Are the checks necessary ? Well IMO the gas appliances and electrics surely must be checked as we kip in these things ... Damp checks and all ? Well lets be honest most of us can do that and pretty much the rest off items on the list ..

But how about if a keen buyer asks to see the habitation check/service history ?

We spend a lot of money on these vehicles and we live in them so I will be getting our one done but as per my comments above it will be at one of the recognised traders who support this forum ...

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
44 votes (SO far) for "What!!!!! Spilt tea/coffee/ beer over keyboard"

And 1 for "That gold tap needs a good polish - well worth the money"

Cmon admit it which diddy posted the 1 vote ? :D:D:D:D

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think Nick Whale prices may well have gone up as a result of their partnership with ih, all the other dealers have lost their franchises. When we were having all our problems with our new van last year I did tell Ian Hartley that their new business model wasn't working, looks like I was right! There were a few of us who were unlucky, they were churning out too many and their pdi's were woefully inadequate, the quality was poor. They did sort stuff out but it was a struggle, there are a couple of other funsters who had similar bad experiences @Wicketter was one.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
But how about if a keen buyer asks to see the habitation check/service history ?

We spend a lot of money on these vehicles and we live in them so I will be getting our one done but as per my comments above it will be at one of the recognised traders who support this forum ...

I can understand having a history on the chassis to make sure (as sure as you can be) that service items have been changed, but a history of hab checks I would consider not that important ( DIY ). one done and documented just before I bought it would be of more interest to me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back