French Autoroute Overnights (1 Viewer)

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I'm just getting back into having a motorhome.

Before, when travelling in France, if you pulled over into a Service Area there would usually be a large area where you could pull over in a van, caravan or tent and wildcamp for an hour or a night. There was no charge and you were never troubled.

Can anyone tell me if this isstill the case and is wild camping still generally permitted in rural France?

The Old Man

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The Aires are brilliant in France - some are free, some are not and they have different levels of services available. I have the books 'All the Aires' by Vicarious books. They're a bit mis-named though as they don't list ALL of the Aires but there are several online apps available to use too. I don't think you can stop overnight on the motorway Aires - you can stay for a short time though.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
The Aires are brilliant in France - some are free, some are not and they have different levels of services available. I have the books 'All the Aires' by Vicarious books. They're a bit mis-named though as they don't list ALL of the Aires but there are several online apps available to use too. I don't think you can stop overnight on the motorway Aires - you can stay for a short time though.
Agree with Oriel aires are great if you don't mind parking in a car park environment . Some are near or in villages and towns . We have used motorway aires to stop to eat or stretch our legs but would never sleep on one and would rather use a municipal campsite than a large holiday park . We do love traveling in France and it is very motorhome friendly.good luck with your travels.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We use Aires quite a bit and to describe them all as "car parks" does them a great disservice. Some are. Others are in wonderful locations and can be as good as Municipal Sites.

A good example being the one at Moulins. It used to be a Municipal site but is now an Aire with a barrier and slot payment on exit. Last year we stayed there, on the river bank, just opposite the town at the princely cost of 2.30 euros for our 23 hour stay, including EHU.

We also stay overnight in a village when travelling between our two centres. It takes only four M/Hs,has no EHU but it is a free Aire. It is surrounded by flower beds and lawns and a two minute walk gets us Croissants etc in the morning. It is within ten minutes driving of the Autoroute.(y)

We also would never stop overnight on an Autoroute Aire de Repose as they are, generally, too isolated for safety.

Wild camping is expressly illegal in certain areas of France. Usually the more popular tourist areas. Where this is the case you will see roadside signs confirming the fact. We have parked on town hall car parks, market places etc without problems throughout the country.

Upvote 0

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Almost all Motorway Aires are noisy and smelly from the diesel fumes of traffic continually arriving and departing all night and more likely to be an unsafe environment than designated Aires.

Use 'France Passion' sites for real rural stopovers, a SatNav is essential to find them, but they are free once you've joined their club.

This is a typical Aire to use -

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Last year we found a few places to stay at wine producers free without bothering with france passion just asked at the local tourist office

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You might need one of these for each passenger.

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Motorway aires are not safe to stop overnight but there are so many great places in France you can stay in/near villages for a small fee or for nothing you won't need these M way ones. We had a free overnight parking place at Bayeux- ten mins walk from the center with free hook up and water- have stayed at Beaune many times in the camping car aire as well as having France passion stops- as suggested get an "all the aires " book and have a couple of the aires lined up in case one is full . You are also able to stop on some supermarket car parks - again the Aires book has details. The first time we went to France we were at Le Touquet and it was fab- loads of vans parked near the beck all the French ignoring the rules re no tents/outside seats/awnings- camping with others always safer. Bon Vacances

Upvote 0

Deleted User
We have slept on motorway aires lots of times without problem. But like anywhere else we sleep, if we don't feel comfortable we move on and find another spot (of which there are loads)

With regards to the books, we have ditched them and almost exclusively use camper contact.

It has reviews, photographs, and a click of a link to google maps, brilliant resource.

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Same as Mickyc
Contrary to most funsters we have seen plenty of good and stayed on a couple of motorway aires and found them to be quiet, clean and virtually deserted possibly cos of all the scaremongering(y) but like wildcamping spots you should use your own discretion, if you don't like the look of it move on;)

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We've never tried to stay on one - mainly cos we avoid Autoroutes when possible anyway! If we want to get from A to B quickly we have a look for an Aire or two somewhere 'just off the motorway' as has been said and head towards it - often finding somewhere nearer on the way!

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We use Aires quite a bit and to describe them all as "car parks" does them a great disservice. Some are. Others are in wonderful locations and can be as good as Municipal Sites.

A good example being the one at Moulins. It used to be a Municipal site but is now an Aire with a barrier and slot payment on exit. Last year we stayed there, on the river bank, just opposite the town at the princely cost of 2.30 euros for our 23 hour stay, including EHU.

We also stay overnight in a village when travelling between our two centres. It takes only four M/Hs,has no EHU but it is a free Aire. It is surrounded by flower beds and lawns and a two minute walk gets us Croissants etc in the morning. It is within ten minutes driving of the Autoroute.(y)

We also would never stop overnight on an Autoroute Aire de Repose as they are, generally, too isolated for safety.

Wild camping is expressly illegal in certain areas of France. Usually the more popular tourist areas. Where this is the case you will see roadside signs confirming the fact. We have parked on town hall car parks, market places etc without problems throughout the country.
@maison I didn't mean to imply that all camping car aires are like carparks because we have stayed in lovely ones by canals rivers etc but some of the big ones we have used like Honfleur and la Crotoy are huge areas with lots of vans . We have used these too and felt very safe as they are official aires with waste dumps and water at a charge.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Nr Wick at the top of the Highlands of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Euramobil coachbuilt
Exp
since 2008
we too have used autoroute aires and found most of them great, like everyone has said you have to use your gut instinct and decide where you stop is right for you, if you are looking for a nice stop when you get off the ferry in northern France the aire on the autoroute A16 (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...71,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x381c2b1dea2b8f67) is beautiful and we have always had a quiet time there and it is beautiful with walks around the canals etc. Saying i have to agree more than often we now stop on aire du camping car using camper contact and the aires books and acsi and municipal sites. Although we have parked over night in villages especially in front of churches and we never get bothered , I think most villages and towns are ok as long as arent creating a problem and are being respectful.I have to admit i hate aires that are jam packed with vans like sardines, dont think they are much of a holiday lol and when travelling down the coast and wanting to go and visit places we tend to book into a site for the security aspect of leaving the van empty, and being afeared someone will break in and take my dog lol! Anyhow the most important thing is enjoy and remember you dont make mistakes it is always a learning curve! xxx

Upvote 0

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We use motorway aires on route to places ie Spain Portugal but if you don't feel comfortable / safe move on .

No matter where you park shit happens you hear about breakins on campsites and normal aires . We have only ever moved once and it was on a normal French aire in a town we moved because there was a large group of youths hanging around .

No matter where you park if it does not feel right / safe move on , if you do stay make sure all you have to do is turn the key and drive off.

Paul

Upvote 0

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I think that the reputation of motorway Aires being dangerous is similar to the gassing reports. We have been Motorhoming with large motorhomes rather than pop-ups for over twenty five years and have met people robbed in camp sites but never on a motorway aire. Living in the south of France we regularly drive back to the UK and usually sleep in motorway Aires in the north of France. But every opening in our van is alarmed and has extra locks which are always used even on sites but perhaps we have been lucky and never had an attempted break-in.
When touring leasurely we use Aires and village squares sometimes municiple sites and recently the odd camp site. If stopping in village squares though always check signs for when the market is on. A friend woke up once to find them surrounded by vegetable stalls and they were stuck there till the market cleared.
Safe travelling, spend some money on securing your van we have the rotating Fiamme locks on the doors which I can reach out of the drivers door to secure the last one, alarms on all openings, I am sure @eddievanbitz can help with that and never have a drink until all locks and alarms are activated and even do so when stopping for a snooze after lunch.
As others have said if it doesn't feel right move on.
Steve

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There have been several reports by our members of being broken into on Autoroute aires.. not trying to be a scaremonger.. but when there are safer alternatives why take that chance.. ?

this report is by Geo..
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/gassing-yes-spoke-to-the-man.51219/#post-608754
sorry, can't find the original thread

RV broken into 2am ish
Habitation door lock destroyed entry failed due to deadlock
Driver door lock destroyed and entry gained, cash only stolen
credit cards left in the wallet, wallet left on floor robbers disturbed and seen fleeing from our RV
We Both slept through it like babies, no gas ,no headaches, no alcohol to speak of, well two of the small french bottles
You sleep very much sounder than you think,
it took a few mins of our mobile ringing to wake us up for our friends to tell us we'd been done over

another
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/has-anyone-been-burgled.73558/#post-859294
We were burgled on the Aire at the Bai de Somme service station on the A16 in France back in 2005. Our van along with six or seven others was broken into during the night. Our passengers door lock was forced, and a mobile phone and a jacket were stolen from the front seating. We now have a VanBitz Strike Back alarm fitted and we set it every night regardless of where we are. We also make sure that there is nothing visible on the dashboard or the seating area

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Tell that to the thousands of lorry drivers that use them on a regular basis!

We have used them and never had a problem, most are clean and well kept with shops toilet and café.

Terry
I think, when Motorway Aires are described as possibly unsafe, people are referring to the Aires de Repose, not the major Service areas.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Anthea M
Agreed!

Some Aires are like Car Parks and we usually avoid them, looking for the more attractive ones, or ones in good or spectacular locations. Some of the latter we have come across purely by accident; driving through a town or village, following the sign and saying " Yes!"

One car park style Aire that we do use is Honfleur, as its location is so good for access to the beautiful old town.

Enjoy the variety.(y)

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have used them for overnight stops, which is of course what they are for since 1988 when we first bought our Motorhome and went abroad a few weeks later.

Some are basic some are luxurious, some are crowded some are deserted, it's the luck of the draw

The top picture is on the road to Calais last year, and the bottom one is in Catalan Aire near the Spanish border

image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There have been several reports by our members of being broken into on Autoroute aires

Yes but motorway aires are often the ONLY place most camp "Off site" and camping in public areas might well increase the risk of break-in. If people are going to park up, tired, leave themselves insecure, and with no alarm, then you can't really blame the aire just because that's where they choose to be robbed. Thousands of nights are slept on motorway aires every year without incident. As a long time user of this type of aire, I'm sure that they do not entirely deserve the reputation that forum-goers bestow upon them.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Nr Wick at the top of the Highlands of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Euramobil coachbuilt
Exp
since 2008
eddievanbitz the aire at the catalan village is notorious for robbers so please be careful when staying there, the police advise not to stay on any aires along that stretch of road at all, infact my hubby and son we victims of an attempted car jacking when coming down there and it has happened to lots of people we have spoken to in that area. x

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We've used the Aire at Catalan Village dozens of times, so have a large number of close friends and families. It is what they are designed for.

Hundreds of people use it in the Summer months, and I suspect that I am safer in my Motorhome with my alarm system armed than the people sleeping in a convertible car with the roof down we saw last year lol. Travel rugs over them and asleep lol

You could say that Scotland is a place to stay clear of as the last murders in a campervan I remember were two Germans in a VW and they were shot dead!

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We've used the Aire at Catalan Village dozens of times, so have a large number of close friends and families. It is what they are designed for.

Hundreds of people use it in the Summer months, and I suspect that I am safer in my Motorhome with my alarm system armed than the people sleeping in a convertible car with the roof down we saw last year lol. Travel rugs over them and asleep lol

You could say that Scotland is a place to stay clear of as the last murders in a campervan I remember were two Germans in a VW and they were shot dead!
Used the Catalan Village aire safely many times in the past Eddie . Always had the first alarm you installed for us in 200? armed. Even then the external warning lights attracted potential disco goers:LOL:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back