Waste water carrier. (1 Viewer)

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
Hi, we have just taken our first trip as total beginners and had great fun.Took along a notebook to record any bits we would need in the future and picked the brains of some seasoned van owners.Only problem remaining unsolved is what to catch the waste water in when not emptying over a drain etc.The outlet pipe on our Cheyenne is only 170mm. from the ground and all the wheelable or carry ones I have looked at are too high to go under.Am I missing something obvious here? What do other owners use?
Cheers Paul.:Doh:

tucker_j

Free Member
May 26, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
6 Years
I know this isn't the politically correct answer so I'm sorry, but when we first hired a van the drain didn't work properly and so the only way to empty was to open the valve and drive away. The movement of the vehicle did the trick and we nicknamed the van 'Brian the Snail' because it was slow and left a trail :Blush:

Last year we hired another van which did drain properly and on most occasions we found sites had a suitable dump drain. On the rare occasion where there was not a suitable facility we asked the owner / warden where they would like it dumping and they usually pointed us towards a suitable hedge or ditch.

Without wishing to give us MH's a bad name, if I couldn't drain the tank on site I would look for a suitable public drain or ditch where I could very discretly empty it instead.

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
drain

try a bucket.
use it for other uses as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
try a bucket.
use it for other uses as well.

curious!!!!

quote]......The outlet pipe on our Cheyenne is only 170mm. from the ground. [unquote.

where can you buy a bucket that is only 6.5" high.::bigsmile:

this'll get all the environmentalists whinging again :RollEyes:

we empty in the nearest layby with a drain:Blush:
always have...always will:winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

most if not all CL sites are more than happy to dump in the hedge, this is best done with a length of suitable sized pipe run from your drain pipe to the hedgerow , just leave the dump valve open .. you could also use this pipe to fill a bucket..

Please don't use street drains, they are only for storm water which is drained back to a nearby stream or river so

a) its illegal, you can be fined.
b) if seen, it gets us all a bad name
c) you may pollute a river ..

Jim

OP
OP
W

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
Hi

most if not all CL sites are more than happy to dump in the hedge, this is best done with a length of suitable sized pipe run from your drain pipe to the hedgerow , just leave the dump valve open .. you could also use this pipe to fill a bucket..

Please don't use street drains, they are only for storm water which is drained back to a nearby stream or river so

Jim
I suppose with experience I wont let the waste water tank fill up when I am all levelled up on site! Thats the reason I wanted to empty it in situ.:Doh:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
When there's a hosepipe ban they tell us to water the garden with used bathwater.:winky:

What they don't see don't hurt them.:Blush:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

Jim

sorry Jim, that doesnt hold water, so to speak.::bigsmile:

had this argument a long time ago on here.

cant remember who the poster was but his argument was...... ALL surface water will eventually find its way into a stream/river/culvert no matter how far away.

whoever it was sounded like he was an environmental health or water company man as was very convincing.

if i can find the thread/post ill post it here but it goes back a long way.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
curious!!!!

quote]......The outlet pipe on our Cheyenne is only 170mm. from the ground. [unquote.

where can you buy a bucket that is only 6.5" high.::bigsmile:

this'll get all the environmentalists whinging again :RollEyes:

we empty in the nearest layby with a drain:Blush:
always have...always will:winky:

just dig a hole under were the bucket would go, sorted:thumb:

only kiddin

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We were on a site a few weeks ago and the lady in the office said "everybody wants to pitch around the perimeter of the site, up agains the hedge, I wonder why"

Errrrrgh, I didnt tell her why.

Jim
:Smile:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
When you think about all the cr** and oil and road kill body parts that are washed down road drains, then washing water seems quite innocent!

The thing with disposing of waste water under a hedge is that soil acts as a natural filter. By the time the water reaches a water course its virtually pure water apart from the sheep dung, worm slime and mole cr** its picked up on the way through. :winky:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I notice lots of people have a small bucket or used tile grout type bucket with holes drilled in the bottom, they fill the container with grass and place this under the waste outlet of their vans so that waste water trickles into it, gets filtered and the cleaned water seeps into the ground. At their departure they dump the used grass in a suitable way and bobs your uncle. Rocket science or what.I also notice others have a more soffisticated version of this IE they make up a system whereby they have plastic pipe used in drain laying with screw off entry point to put the grass in and a length of hose attached to connect direct to the waste outlet of their vans.The 4 inch pipe is drilled and this allows water to seep out.:Eeek::Eeek:

cobmonster

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
Wokingham, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Hi, we have just taken our first trip as total beginners and had great fun.Took along a notebook to record any bits we would need in the future and picked the brains of some seasoned van owners.Only problem remaining unsolved is what to catch the waste water in when not emptying over a drain etc.The outlet pipe on our Cheyenne is only 170mm. from the ground and all the wheelable or carry ones I have looked at are too high to go under.Am I missing something obvious here? What do other owners use?
Cheers Paul.:Doh:
I have the wastemaster container which is wheeled and can carry the toilet cassette also. The wastemaster has several caps at different levels to be adapted to the required hieght.:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I have the wastemaster container which is wheeled and can carry the toilet cassette also. The wastemaster has several caps at different levels to be adapted to the required hieght.:thumb:

This is exactley what I do. Its no problem whatsoever and avoids ground and water contamination as Jim eluded to and rebuked by hilldweller.

SAVE OUR FISH

Jim

:winky:

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
bucket

waste pipe 170mm high.
you do what i did on my sundance.
drill a hole with a hole saw 170mm high.
sounds simple to me.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This is exactley what I do. Its no problem whatsoever and avoids ground and water contamination as Jim eluded to and rebuked by hilldweller.
Jim
:winky:

Rebuked ?

REBUKED ??? By me - never, it was a question.

Tell me have you ever washed your car ? God forbid you have ever washed your MH, unless of course you did it in a huge plastic tray.

I really can't see a significant difference in pollution. Then think of the dear farmers, have you seen what they spread on the roads ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I really can't see a significant difference in pollution. Then think of the dear farmers, have you seen what they spread on the roads ?

never mind the roads......what about the fields.

ask anyone at the fishing meet last weekend what the air smelt of......
pig sh*t.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Top Tip

Seen at a couple of shows now and thought it was the dogs wotsits. A plastic tray small enough to fit under the outlet pipe was filled with grass as deep as possible. waste water is then filtered though it direct into the ground, at the end of the show/stay or what ever the box is emptied into a plastic bag and placed in the rubbish bin. Job done.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Waste water carrier

:thumb:Hi,I have a Cheyenne and have just bought a waste hog it
just fits undereath outlet, with a little persuasion .
best regards
Mike.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
never mind the roads......what about the fields.

ask anyone at the fishing meet last weekend what the air smelt of......
pig sh*t.

never mind the fields, what about my windscreen, itll take me age to get rid of it

Wall-E

Free Member
Jan 21, 2009
Funster No
Collecting waste water?.

Hi Wurn,
My waste tank outlet is also quite low, more so because the discharge pipe elbow is facing straight down. I find that most pitches are not level and in leveling up the motor home on pads, it raises the outlet up a couple of extra inches. I use one of the smaller round, rubber, rubble buckets ( Type with two loop handles) and empty it every day or as required. The advantage of this type of pliable bucket is, if you forget it,s there and drive off, it doesn't cause any damage underneath the M/H. The buckets are obtainable from B&Q or garden centres. I can't think whats difficult about emptying it!!.
Wall-E.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Tell me have you ever washed your car ? God forbid you have ever washed your MH said:
Exactly.:thumb: Let's not get too carried away with the P.C. thing or else we wouldn't start up our 'gas guzzlers' in the first place. If we are to be ECO Warriors best we bin all the 'Yank tanks before worrying about dumping a wee drop of Fairy liquid down a gully. Think about it.:RollEyes: You know it makes sense! :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back