LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
I recently passed an Aire near the slopes. There were a number of MHs parked up and seemingly enjoying a days skiing but how do they stop the water suppliers from freezing up? I am paranoid about draining down in the winter so what is the secret?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If it's a fully winterised van they have insulated tanks and pipes that are also kept warm by the Truma hot air... as is my Hymer .. which also has a double floor with both grey and fresh tanks between

heating is also kept on 24hrs a day

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The French know what they are doing too!
Never had a frozen pipe when in the Alps.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi Del
First things first
You ensure you have enough gas for your stay
You run your gas heating 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Ensuring the pipe work behind the cupboards and under beds gets enough heat
During the day when we are out we leave the cupboard doors open to ensure heat circulates
The heating is turned down just slightly over night when we are in bed but remember this is usually the coldest so DO NOT TURN IT DOWN too low and during the day when we are not in and usually the sun is shining we turn it down low.

We peg our dump valve closed to stop it dumping.
We leave our waste valve open and allow water to run into a bucket.
We did run out of gas overnight once and consequently had a freeze.
I have re routed our heating pipe to blow hot air over the pump. No good if the gas runs out but doers ensure the pump is warm
I have also fitted a frost alert lidl were selling them again last week £2.99
the sensor hangs near our pipe work and pump if the temp drops near to freezing an alarm bleeper in the habitation area bleeps a warning. Really good over night.

A bit of practise and things settle into a routine
Kev

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But is it any cheaper than flying there we did it for £420 each flights transfres half board free wine with evening meal again this year can't help thinking fuel tunnel tolls aire etc plus the hassle not worth it. Each to their own I suppose.

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have seen your avatar.. Autotrail, underslung tank and lots of exposed pipes.. Not winterised...

Ps.. Have an Autotrail myself so in same boat..

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
But is it any cheaper than flying there we did it for £420 each flights transfres half board free wine with evening meal again this year can't help thinking fuel tunnel tolls aire etc plus the hassle not worth it. Each to their own I suppose.

David
We have a motorhome. That's what we use for our holidays and we love it.
Fuel tunnel tolls are part of the holiday ... it's no hassle.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

David

It depends where you go.
Last year, all the lower cheaper resorts had no snow. We went to Val Thorens twice to ensure we had snow.
Accommodation only, for 4 during half term, about £3000!

One week of parking in the MH, 120 Euros!

And what happens when you arrive at your £400 package deal and find the snow is crap? There is no chance of simply packing up and trying elsewhere.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The package was at Les Menuires this years Arc 2000 last so not low cheap resorts!!!!. The difference is there are only 2 of us and we go in low season as not tied to school holidays. When our kids were young used to book an apartment with a French agency and do queasyjet/hire a car or drive down but don't think we ever paid more than £1200 even at new year/christmas

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have a motorhome. That's what we use for our holidays and we love it.
Fuel tunnel tolls are part of the holiday ... it's no hassle.
Didn't mean the tolls etc as hassle rather trying to dry out kit/store skis/empty bucket for grey water/keep m/h warm etc. Out first days ski this year was rain in the resort and I would have thought it difficult to keep warm and dry out our kit so quick in the m/h.I enjoy using our m/h and its great fun but for me it would have to be cheaper to make it worthwhile especially as we are still at work and an extra couple of days at either end for travelling would cost us a lot as we employ people to work for us and when we aren't around its a straight loss!!. When we eascape the world of work it wouls be a different story I can see the attraction of a weeks ski on the way to or from a winter sun holiday for a few weeks!. Also this year was with a party of 12 fully catered ther just wouldn't be the social aspect.

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
There are two definitions of 'Winterised', the German version and the British version, and they mean different things.

Double floor with everything inside the heated floor including all the valves and tanks is the easy answer. Been in -20 night and -7 daytime high and not frozen, but as said by others heating on 24/7.

Sadly no British manufacturer makes a proper winterised van. We use our van at least twice every year for skiing. Next trip Italy for two weeks from 12 Feb can't wait.

As for drying things again just hang them up in the garage which has two radiators off the Alde heating system, dry within about two hours. You choose the van for the use you have and it's not about money as many older German vans have all the needed features.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Hi Wino
If its down to cost for 1 person for a week
Flying on a good package wins hands down
2 people for a week the package still wins
once you get more than two people the van begins to gain ground
We go for 6 to 8 weeks with 2 of us
and our kids join us for a week mid season

Also it's a bit of a lifestyle choice and a challenge and
and
and
and
lol

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Wino i fully understand your situation and what you do works for you
HOWEVER

When your circumstances change and you do have more time and do use the van
Just think how many bottles of WINE you can bring back as well

NOW you understand lol
Kev

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We dry stuff in the shower which is heated and ventilated.

We leave ours in the heated ventilated wardrobe. It's lovely warm and dry come the morning.
Clever chaps, those Chausson designers!

As for general comfort, it's always t-shirt conditions inside the van due to a lovely efficient Webasto Dualtop heater and good insulation.
We don't suffer with condensation because we leave a couple of windows off the latch at night so we don't get too hot!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Might give it a go one day but still finishing the wine from our southern rhone trip this summer (2000 miles in a week I'm not afraid of the distance or tolls!!!) and our clever chausson designer seems to have found room for the wine.

David

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
David