Do we get a motorhome?? (1 Viewer)

eclaire

Free Member
Jul 24, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Hello, this is my first post as we are currently caravan owners. We have a really nice, top spec caravan with radiator heating, fixed bed etc but its too big for me to be happy towing., This means that when we go away OH has to tow it to the site and back. We usually go away Friday- Monday so he has to take 2 days holiday. We are now looking into swapping it for a motorhome so that I could drive it down and set up and he could join me on Friday evening after work with me packing it up and bringing it back on Monday.

I think I would be Ok to drive it as I drive a big 4x4 anyway and have driven horseboxes etc.

We are looking at a Winnebago Brave from around 1992-1995 ish having seen some for 10K aprox. I know we would loose the radiator central heating but as long as we kept the fixed bed and proper shower that should be ok

Any opionions or advice to help us decide if we should make the change would be much appreciated!!
Thanks
claire:-}

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Do it ASAP, you'll wish you did it years ago:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Any opionions or advice to help us decide if we should make the change would be much appreciated!!
Thanks

Hi Clare

provided you have factored in the extra cost of an RV then losing the radiators will be small price to pay .. :Smile:

They can be expensive beasts if things go wrong, so buy wisely and have it inspected by a competent mechanic .. tyres, brake pads, exhaust, suspension, steering, etc can be expensive to renew ..

Check everything works, and take no excuses from the vendor, including, genny, central heating, water heating and pump, charger and batteries, etc etc etc and, most importantly ... a new MOT

Consider the cost of

Insurance, (get some quotes) .
Road tax
MOT
Storage ?
Servicing

Also think about where you may use it, some sites aren't suitable and others don't permit RVs

good luck

JIm

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Hi we have had both Caravans and Motorhomes over the years and currently have a Motorhome, it all comes down to choice in the end, in my opinion one is not BETTER than the other, it depends on life style etc. I sometimes miss having a car when in remote places and would never consider towing a car as I think that is Caravanning in reverse, no slur on anyone who does tow a car thats their choice.We use bikes a lot and that is fine and with the now cherished bus pas getting around is so much easier. You might try hireing a Motorhome for a while to see if it suits you as you are going to loose a lot of money changeing either way if it doesn't suit you.:thumb::thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Hello, this is my first post as we are currently caravan owners. We have a really nice, top spec caravan with radiator heating, fixed bed etc but its too big for me to be happy towing., This means that when we go away OH has to tow it to the site and back. We usually go away Friday- Monday so he has to take 2 days holiday. We are now looking into swapping it for a motorhome so that I could drive it down and set up and he could join me on Friday evening after work with me packing it up and bringing it back on Monday.

I think I would be Ok to drive it as I drive a big 4x4 anyway and have driven horseboxes etc.

We are looking at a Winnebago Brave from around 1992-1995 ish having seen some for 10K aprox. I know we would loose the radiator central heating but as long as we kept the fixed bed and proper shower that should be ok

Thanks

We were in a simular situation this spring, allthough our van was old (1993) over the last 5 years we had hardly used it, I allways had some excuse, but truth be told I had got feed up the "all the performance" of van towing, in my case I had to do everytrhing as my wife has a partial disability and must not shove or carry etc, even though we had the van fitted with a mover it was all too much hassle, so for five years it was on the plane with the rest of the crowd. This Jauary we decided we want camping again and a motohome was the way to go, after a couple of near mistakes with ther "wrong for us" layouts we bought a scout about 12 weeks ago, we used it five time allready this year with lots more planned inc going over to france. The just roll on site and plug in setup is great for us, but remember if sometimes you have no car to run around in, its totaly differant to vanning and if your buying a large unit it harder to find "day time" parking when off site..but if you allways have your car thats not a problem

Our unit is 7.3mts and my wife loves driving it, which is a pain because so do I:cry:

I cant advise you, you must think it through, but for us it was the correct decision

hth

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Clair and WELCOME::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Know what I would do having done both, I would go for a motorhome every time.
We went to a motorhome when the company car I used for towing was changed to something not suitable on changing jobs. I now wish that we had done it sooner.
I think the best answer is to hire one first and see how you get on with it, after all it is a big expence to change and if you don't like it you could lose on both deals.:Doh:
You will recieve a lot of advice from the people on this site, hope it helps you make an informed decision.:thumb:

Dave

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Do we get a motorhome

Hi Claire and welcome to the "fun"

May I suggest you establish if your driving licience permits you to drive a vehicle up tp 7.5 tonnes, would'nt want you to buy a winne and find your licience restricts you to 3.5 tonnes.:Sad:

Ask yourself if you need such a large rig, if you are only doing short breaks, or is this the start of "full timing" ....etc.:Cool:

Good luck with your project:thumb:

Nomadic

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Have you considered a smaller euro van, one that can double for sight seeing at the same time. 8-10 MPG of the winnie wants taking into consideration with the cost of fuel these days.

OP
OP
E

eclaire

Free Member
Jul 24, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Thanks for that everyone, will look into the insurance etc. We pay for storage anyway so that wouldnt change. We like plenty of space so TBH I wouldnt want to go away in a smaller motorhome. Its usually only the two of us and two large dogs but they do take up a lot of floor space....lol. Plus we want the fixed bed/shower.
Winnebagos seem to be the only ones that fit the bill....so far
cheers

OP
OP
E

eclaire

Free Member
Jul 24, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
hmm - getting an idea of insurance isnt proving very easy...lol
I keep coming up with sites that say full uk spec only (ie no lh drive) or want a registration number which we of course dont have as we are only in the 'looking' stage!
I am 40, OH is 50, both full uk clean licences, anyone able to give us an idea of insurance costs?

The other thing is fuel - what do these big winnebagos do to the gallon? My cruiser towing the caravan does about 16-20 depending on the roads so I am hoping not shockingly less than that.....

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
as I already said Claire 8-10mpg, that is eight to ten miles per gallon

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

eclaire

Free Member
Jul 24, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
oops sorry - should read more carefully - so much information going in at the moment I am loosing things...lol

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
hmm - getting an idea of insurance isnt proving very easy...lol
I keep coming up with sites that say full uk spec only (ie no lh drive) or want a registration number which we of course dont have as we are only in the 'looking' stage!
I am 40, OH is 50, both full uk clean licences, anyone able to give us an idea of insurance costs?

The other thing is fuel - what do these big winnebagos do to the gallon? My cruiser towing the caravan does about 16-20 depending on the roads so I am hoping not shockingly less than that.....

if you see a van that tickles your fancy
enter the reg no as if you owned it for insurance costs

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back