Windows 7 is the bizzzzz.RC Available now (1 Viewer)

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just got a nice shiney new laptop and thought I would blitz it and load Windows 7 RC (Available now from Microsoft)

After the beta version this Latest version is pleasantly surprising and solid.

Seems quicker too although it may well be the laptop too,:Cool:

It's there to try.Just look on the Microsoft site.Just make a good backup of your data first if installing it on an existing PC.

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
May pay to check before rushing in. I read that to eventually do an official upgrade, you had to reinstall XP or Vista and upgrade from there. Upgrading from RC is not possible.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
May pay to check before rushing in. I read that to eventually do an official upgrade, you had to reinstall XP or Vista and upgrade from there. Upgrading from RC is not possible.

As far as I'm aware, W7 isn't an upgrade to either XP or Vista , but a complete new OS.

much as Leopard was for Macs.

Can you clarify Steve ?

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have the beta version running on an old desktop and XP on my laptop which is much faster and bigger that the desktop.

I have don't have the desktop loaded with many programs as I use it as a file server via a router but it is certainly a lot faster on boot-up compered to the faster laptop.

Doug...

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
But dont you just know that no matter how good 7 is it wont be a patch on OS X :ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I will wait for the public to buy it and beta test it, and then I'll probably stick with XP for as long as I can anyway:thumb:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I will wait for the public to buy it and beta test it, and then I'll probably stick with XP for as long as I can anyway:thumb:

I wont bother either untill the final is released,done my time beta testing others ; however does look promising. Reports so far say runs faster ;but then again any OS when first loaded runs quick.

regards

acdcdave

Deceased RIP
Oct 23, 2008
Funster No
Jim's right but don't forget 64 bit os's

Guys

Like Jim I'm sticking with XP at least until the first W7 service pack eventually comes out. On my main machine I'm also sticking to XP Pro 64 bit OS and x2, x3+ processors. I'm currently using 6 Gb of RAM which makes it fly. But this does NOT work, with standard 32 bit vanilla XP, Vista etc. which limit you to 4Gb and less on some laptops. And boy do they need it!!

Standard cheap DDR2 memory is now 2 Gb so I can go up to 8 Gb total in the 4 slots I have on my motherboard. When 4Gb memory is available at a sensible cost, say £30, I could go to 16 Gb. The limit for XP Pro 64 bit is 128 Gb of main memory and terabytes of virtual memory, theoretical limits are far higher still.

Drivers and other software is much less of an issue now than it was two years ago when I built my first 64 bit machines. With modern 'fat' software the 4 Gb limit must go soon and 64 bit is the only way to go, so I will be using 64 bit W7. There are some rumours that the new Apple machine may indeed have a 64 bit OS.

For an experienced desktop user, it seems to me that the gains for 64 bit now outweigh the downside. How do you find it?

Cheers, ACDCDAVE.

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
I have been using Windows 7 for about 5 months at home (get it through work on a beta program), and is far better than Vista. :thumb:

Already it is much faster and seems more stable than Vista, Vista seems to go off into a world of its own sometimes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
As far as I'm aware, W7 isn't an upgrade to either XP or Vista , but a complete new OS.

much as Leopard was for Macs.

Can you clarify Steve ?

Jim

Hi Jim,

AFAIK Windows 7 is not an upgrade although there are some similarities to Vista.

I think the main problem , as was the case with Vista, is the slow manufacturer release of drivers, although I have seen very little problems with the Release candidate up to now.

We have a few people at work that have loaded it on older laptop hardware with seemingly little problems.

The situation I am in, I will have to support users as they adopt the "new" Operating system and need to be fully aware of the fundamental differences.

Still VERY impressed with it.Very stable and reliable.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I just bought a brand new desktop from Dell Business Sales, they offer a "downgrade" to Win XP sp3. I downgraded just like 70% of their business customers do::bigsmile:

XP works, it works fast and is probably THE most stable operating system out there. Don't be an early adopter of Windows 7 it will be bug ridden, you will become an unpaid beta tester:Smile: Like the song says "wise men say, only fools rush in .... "

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
XP works, it works fast and is probably THE most stable operating system out there.

When I first bought Leopard OS 10.5 for the Mac I was disappointed .. so much so I took it off and went back to Tiger 10.4 .. it took Mac about a year and a couple of major service packs to get it right.. now it runs fine.. but I have to ask myself .. is it better or is just more toys and less reliability.

On the windows machine I have the option from Sony to downgrade to XP .. but never took them up on the option for fear of having problems with the drivers, Vista is pretty good now.. but would prefer XP , if only I had the bottle to try the downgrade..

jim

andycotterell

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Europe-wide
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Windows 7 is actually "fixed" Vista. It's what they should have produced in the first place.
Morally, Microsoft should offer all Vista users a free upgrade (and there's a lot of campaigning going on for this) but it doesn't seem likely. I'm still on XP, having tried Vista and found it to be appalling, but I'll move to WIndows & if they price it right since it seems stable enough.

grandpabeard

Free Member
Jul 28, 2009
Solihull West Midland
Funster No
MH
demountable
Exp
since May 2009
I have vista my next computer will have is Linux. I have come to the conclusion that the difference between Microsoft and Hell is .....Hell as no Windows

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
I have Vista on my laptop and have just installed Windows 7 RC and it is working brilliantly, it has accepted all my old hardware and software and all I can say is that it is a cross between XP and Vista, best of both worlds.

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I just bought a brand new desktop from Dell Business Sales, they offer a "downgrade" to Win XP sp3. I downgraded just like 70% of their business customers do::bigsmile:

XP works, it works fast and is probably THE most stable operating system out there. Don't be an early adopter of Windows 7 it will be bug ridden, you will become an unpaid beta tester:Smile: Like the song says "wise men say, only fools rush in .... "

OS for OS Windows 7 is definately faster than xp on the same hardware.

I have a 250 gb hdd full of apps and it still works.

For my work I NEED to be an early adopter and am pleasantly surprised so far.

As a beta tester of all Microsoft OS's since win95 and win 3.0 I am definitely more comfortable running this version.:thumb:

XP is solid after how many service packs and updates?

I seem to remember that wasn't always the case when it was released so many years ago.

A knowlegeable "fool" is less likely to have problems and more able to rectify them and report back to the developers.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
XP is solid after how many service packs and updates?

I seem to remember that wasn't always the case when it was released so many years ago.

A knowlegeable "fool" is less likely to have problems and more able to rectify them and report back to the developers.

That's why me and millions of others in business stayed with windows 2000, whilst the fools rushed in and bought ME and XP before service pack 1 :Smile: I have most of the Adobe Suite, open all the time, at the same time, typically, Indesign, photoshop, illustrator, Bridge, Dreamweaver etc, along with word, outlook and excel etc, its faster than I need it to be and its so stable I can go a fortnight or three weeks between reboots. I just don't need the hassle of upgrading, for zero benefit. People upgrade like lemmings when the gear they have is probably more than they need.

Give me a couple of killer reasons to upgrade now and I'll consider it, the upgrade will cost me money so the reasons need to be good:Smile:

IMO When Windows 7 is on service pack 3 it might be safe to upgrade. :Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Has windows 7 been doing well? I am sure it will be better, if they have another distaster like Vista it could have cost them dear.

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
That's why me and millions of others in business stayed with windows 2000, whilst the fools rushed in and bought ME and XP before service pack 1 :Smile: I have most of the Adobe Suite, open all the time, at the same time, typically, Indesign, photoshop, illustrator, Bridge, Dreamweaver etc, along with word, outlook and excel etc, its faster than I need it to be and its so stable I can go a fortnight or three weeks between reboots. I just don't need the hassle of upgrading, for zero benefit. People upgrade like lemmings when the gear they have is probably more than they need.

Give me a couple of killer reasons to upgrade now and I'll consider it, the upgrade will cost me money so the reasons need to be good:Smile:

IMO When Windows 7 is on service pack 3 it might be safe to upgrade. :Smile:

Luckily I am now out of the Network Admin role Where my prime responsibility was to maintain maximum up time for all the multiple sites I and the constraints that imposed and I am now able to evaluate New Operating systems.

I am still very happy with the way Windows 7 seems to be running.I think it must be built on all the experience Microsoft have finally got after making a few...Mistakes in the past.

Let's not forget that the operating system is but one part of running a program.

If the other software and drivers have bugs in it then they are going to fail.

No-one seems to remember the software releases of other companies??

The bottom line has got to be...why upgrade if something does all you require it to?

Just thought I'd post my initial observations on, what is after all, a Release candidate of the Final offering.

The more feedback they get the better it can become.

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have just read that if you play a Microsoft disc backwards
You can hear Demonic chanting:Eeek:

Even worse!!!!!!

If you play it forwards it installs windows:RollEyes:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a

Yep, me too ::bigsmile: Every time MS offers me an upgrade to my XP it seems that something changes for the worse.

Last time it said upgrade for your XP is now available, I clicked on yes, and what do you know, I now find I can't go back to my default site (Google) when ever I have more than one site selected grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have to click the little Google logo in the top left of the screen, I really wish these software people would test things properly grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

smiff

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Reading, Berks
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
None yet
Been running the RC in a VM for a while now and it's very good, and stable. That's the highest accolade I can give it, which considering I'm a Linux user is high praise indeed :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Been running the RC in a VM for a while now and it's very good, and stable. That's the highest accolade I can give it, which considering I'm a Linux user is high praise indeed :ROFLMAO:

Nice one...

That's my gut reaction too.:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back