Ferry or tunnel?? (1 Viewer)

Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
in June we will be taking our first trip abroad in the Moho and travelling to France. I'm depending on you lovely people to keep us right as we are literally clueless! So firstly what do you recommend ferry or tunnel?? Not much difference in price, I've looked at booking through the caravan club?? Any advice would be much appreciated :merci:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We use the tunnel every time. Never even consider the ferry and I can't see that we ever will.

The main reason for us is that the dogs can stay with us for the duration of the journey.

The other benefits in my opinion:

As you say the difference is price is minimal. Even if it wasn't IMO the tunnel is worth a premium.
It's much quicker - 35 minutes as opposed to roughly 90 minutes for the quickest ferry
It's much more flexible. You book for a specific train time but if you turn up early are offered the next available train and are only charged if it would have been a more expensive crossing when you booked. You can turn up late as well I believe but we've never tried that out!

The cheapest way of booking the tunnel is using Tesco Clubcard vouchers. £10 worth of vouchers is worth £30 on the tunnel.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
We've done both with the motorhome and (previously) with car and caravan. The tunnel is great because you can sit in your van, read a book, have a (cold) drink or whatever you want and there is none of that jostling around at dis-embarkation time - all drivers are already there and you simply wait for the one in front to move off.

If you are travelling with a pet (dog etc) it also has the distinct advantage that you do not need to leave them alone in the car.

The ferry does mean that you can have a walk about on deck and actually watch France come into view but has little other advantage. Nowadays we leave the ferries for the longer trips (Portsmouth - Caen etc) as they then give the very real advantage of a good break before a decent days. drive - sometimes useful for us as we are in west Wales.

For us the choice boils down to where we are going - south or west of France and then it is the ferry, northern France, Germany etc then it's the tunnel.

Remember too (as is often said on here) you bought a motorhome to see different places and not the inside of a boat!

Upvote 0
May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
We use the tunnel every time. Never even consider the ferry and I can't see that we ever will.

The main reason for us is that the dogs can stay with us for the duration of the journey.

The other benefits in my opinion:

As you say the difference is price is minimal. Even if it wasn't IMO the tunnel is worth a premium.
It's much quicker - 35 minutes as opposed to roughly 90 minutes for the quickest ferry
It's much more flexible. You book for a specific train time but if you turn up early are offered the next available train and are only charged if it would have been a more expensive crossing when you booked. You can turn up late as well I believe but we've never tried that out!

The cheapest way of booking the tunnel is using Tesco Clubcard vouchers. £10 worth of vouchers is worth £30 on the tunnel.
Yes, forgot the Tesco vouchers - it sometimes means that very few pennies actually change hands!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tinty
Mar 29, 2015
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks all, seems the tunnel wins! I was thinking that the ferry meant we could get out and have a walk about but we are in the Moho anyway so can have a cuppa in there! Thanks again the were to stay questions will be next (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I have been going from Dover Dunkirk every time... Long drive this side gives me a break for 2hrs and blows the driving cobwebs off and feeling refreshed for a good drive in France and I've never seen a refugee on the way back....
As others have said if you have dogs and don't want to be parted from them as their like little children and probably crap in the van then tunnel probably best...:cool:

The choice is yours..... You could book one out and other back, then you'll know for the future ..(y)

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Thanks all, seems the tunnel wins! I was thinking that the ferry meant we could get out and have a walk about but we are in the Moho anyway so can have a cuppa in there! Thanks again the were to stay questions will be next (y)
If you go on the ferry you have to leave your vehicle on the car deck and go up to the passengers decks where you can stretch your legs, have a coffee/meal etc. If you have driven a long way to the port you may want a break.

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
The tunnel only goes down and up once whereas the ferry can do it all the way across the channel, fine if you get a nice smooth crossing or you are not prone to motion sickness

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Never done the tunnel as yet. No pets but Les suffers badly with claustrophobia, won't get on the tube in London or go into any lifts. I have suggested closing the blinds whilst in the Tunnel but she won't have it, so for us, for the time being, it's a walk around the deck in all weathers!!

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
As a matter of interest, hope it's not a stupid question, but are you able to get out of the van whilst using the tunnel? Is there a resurant car with toilets for those travelling in their cars?

Upvote 0

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Yes you can get out of your vehicle and walk the length of the train if you wish. No, there is no food but you can of course eat in your van. Yes there are toilets at either end of the train but you still have yours in your van.

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Yes you can get out of your vehicle and walk the length of the train if you wish. No, there is no food but you can of course eat in your van. Yes there are toilets at either end of the train but you still have yours in your van.

Understood, thanks.

Upvote 0

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
We always use the tunnel these days. The last time we used the ferry, DFDS, was in 2010 from Dover to Dunkirk return. We had brand new van and the loading master put us on the open deck both ways! We watched the sea spray washing over the van with horror. At that point we said, "never again"!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Is there a resurant car with toilets for those travelling in their cars?

You're only on the thing for 35 minutes. By the time you'd walked to a restaurant car and queued up it would be time to go back to your car (y)

Upvote 0

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Is it ok carrying gas in the tunnel?

It depends what the gas is!! Hope that you are not thinking of being one of those "gassers", robbing people sleeping at night!;)

You could start a thread about gassing perhaps! :rofl: :reel:

Seriously, butane/propane is fie if properly secured. (y)

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
You're only on the thing for 35 minutes. By the time you'd walked to a restaurant car and queued up it would be time to go back to your car (y)

The question was more for information rather than using the train facilities if we did use the tunnel whilst in the van.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We always use the tunnel these days. The last time we used the ferry, DFDS, was in 2010 from Dover to Dunkirk return. We had brand new van and the loading master put us on the open deck both ways! We watched the sea spray washing over the van with horror. At that point we said, "never again"!

Half way up the M1 will be just as bad in winter after the gritters have been....

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you want a cuppa you'll have to make it before you get on the train. We've bought thermal mugs for this particular reason! I also always make Cornish pasties to eat on the way out.

Denise

Upvote 0

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Half way up the M1 will be just as bad in winter after the gritters have been....

An Awful lot worse that that, believe me, and the concentration of salt is sea water is so much more than that found on any of our roads!

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Tunnel for us too .. don't even consider the ferry.
As others have said you get 35 mins of sitting in your van.. listening to music.. watching something on your TV (obviously dvd or files) whilst you have a drink.
Dogs with you and before you know it you're there . You can even send him out to take a quick selfie.
PSX_20150927_195811.jpg

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We use the tunnel - it's quick and very easy.

As for drinks... I always take a pump action flask full of boiling water so I can make hot drinks as and when we want. It stays hot for absolutely ages.

We've also found that we get a crossing immediately on arrival as, if there's room, you can travel on earlier crossings if you wish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As a matter of interest, hope it's not a stupid question, but are you able to get out of the van whilst using the tunnel?
Yes & the older kids run up & down shouting 'fire'. Wife wasn't happy.

but we are in the Moho anyway so can have a cuppa in there! (y)
No you can't, gas has to be turned off & checked.

Upvote 0
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
If you want a cuppa you'll have to make it before you get on the train. We've bought thermal mugs for this particular reason! I also always make Cornish pasties to eat on the way out.

Denise
We use a thermal jug whenever we travel. Fill it with hot water before starting and it stays hot for about 8 hours. Makes it quick and easy to make a fresh hot drink where ever we are without using the gas.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We use a thermal jug whenever we travel. Fill it with hot water before starting and it stays hot for about 8 hours. Makes it quick and easy to make a hot drink where ever we are without using the gas.

Yep, we do the same. Stainless steel flask so there is hot water (hot enough for coffee or herbal tea) when we want it :) I'm usually organised enough so there is a packed meal to eat whilst on the train. I also get claustrophobia and thought the tunnel would be awful and I would be (even more of) a basket case by the time we got off but it's fine.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back