Scalobor (sandfly) Collar Reaction (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
My dog seems to have become alergic the the sandfly collar. She wore one last year with no problems, but this year seems to be constantly scratching at her neck when wearing it. I have had to remove it as she was making her skin raw, left it a couple of weeks and tried to reintroduce it by just leaving it on during the day and taking it off at night. She started scratching at her neck again after a few days.

She has had the sandfly course of injections as well but the vet advised me to still use the collar, she assured me that they were two very different chemicals and it would be safe to wear.

Has anyone else had their dog react to the collars? I am mostly concerned about when we get to Portugal as the sandfly problem is supposed to be worse there.

Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
Hi, went to our vet at the weekend to ask about a sandfly collar.She recommended after some research, Bayer Advantix spot onsolution instead, hope this helps

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
I think you will find that the Advantix Bayer claim to repels Ticks sandflies mosquito and stable flies and not eliminate them them like ticks fleas and biting lice.so if that's sufficient I'm not sure be nice to know

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Armytwowheels Shouldn't need to worry to much about sand flies this time of year they don't tend to be around until end of April time we always use Advantix just in case.

Dogs can be bitten up to 100 times an hour during the sand fly season which begins in May and ends in October. August is the worst month. The flies are mainly active between dusk and dawn. Early morning, 2 to 4am, is the worst period. They are not high flyers so your dog is better off in an upper room or flat at night. Fitting a preventative collar will protect your pet from approximately 95% of sand flies bites for the whole season. Dogs left out in the garden as security guards are particularly

Last edited:
OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
@Armytwowheels Shouldn't need to worry to much about sand flies this time of year they don't tend to be around until end of April time we always use Advantix just in case.

Dogs can be bitten up to 100 times an hour during the sand fly season which begins in May and ends in October. August is the worst month. The flies are mainly active between dusk and dawn. Early morning, 2 to 4am, is the worst period. They are not high flyers so your dog is better off in an upper room or flat at night. Fitting a preventative collar will protect your pet from approximately 95% of sand flies bites for the whole season. Dogs left out in the garden as security guards are particularly

Thanks for your remarks but:

The reason I am concerned is that we are currently in Morocco, having been in Spain since late November and will be going to Portugal in April for a couple of months. Cannot put dog in an upper room as we are in a motorhome. Cannot fit a preventative collar as the reason for posting is that the dog has had an adverse reaction to it.

I will however get some Advantix once we get back to Europe, I doubt there will be any in Maroc. I also believe Maroc does not have problem with sandfly's, or that's what I have been told anyway.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Maybe you could go to a vet, once you get back to Portugal?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I haven't had a dog react to one but I have heard of dogs that have reacted adversely to the collars. So it isn't just yours.
Fair bit on the internet about people who have had problems

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have them for our dogs but ONLY put them on when they go out of the MH, they don't have them on at any other time so their 'exposure' to the chemicals in them is much reduced, also do remember than whenever you handle the collar (avoid it if you can), you should always give you hands a good wash.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back