Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Could any of the experienced Forum members assist me with classes for the peage in France? My MH is less than 3500 GVW and under 3 metres high. As far as I can work out, that makes it an "Intermediate" class - the same as car and caravan.

If I were to tow a trailer (I am thinking of a small trailer with scooter), does that leave me in the same class?

Regards

Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Could any of the experienced Forum members assist me with classes for the peage in France? My MH is less than 3500 GVW and under 3 metres high. As far as I can work out, that makes it an "Intermediate" class - the same as car and caravan.

If I were to tow a trailer (I am thinking of a small trailer with scooter), does that leave me in the same class?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

good question, the peage classes don't make it clear.. if your lucky you may get class 2, but be prepared for class 3.. It can often depend on the peage operator ..

RV + trailer or toad is class 4, but I usually paid class 3, I argued once, the ensuing discussion led to a Gendarme being summoned, needless to say I coughed up quickly ..
Jim

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
will this help you, tie this with Jims reply and I think you will have all you need
From Mel in France

Link Removed

all the tarifs are below

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Peage classes in France ?

Nah, you don't need it mate, dead easy. You take a ticket, hand it in next stop and they show you what to pay in writing. Dead easy.

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Peage classes in France ?

Nah, you don't need it mate, dead easy. You take a ticket, hand it in next stop and they show you what to pay in writing. Dead easy.

Brian
I am not sure whether you meant this as a joke, I just wanted to know whether towing a small trailer on a Class 2 (Intermediate) turns it into a Class 3
Steve

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Steve I have been through a lot off toll booths in France, Some attendants charge the ticket price others reduce the tarrif, I tow a smart car & trailer no help I know to your question but I dont know the different groups and costs. enjoy your trip .:thumb::thumb::thumb:peter

M&L

Free Member
Jan 26, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
We usually pay Class 2 and we weigh 4 ton but no trailer, I doubt if any toll taker can even see that you have a trailer on the back.

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
It did strike me that with a look of innocence and careful positioning, a bike trailer may just indeed be out of sight of the collector!

Last edited:
K

kenhearn1943

Deleted User
Peage in france

Hi! they seem to count the wheels we have at the rear of our Hymer, (4) then charge as a small lorry. Ken :Doh:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Thinks Bubble, 3.05m high .......

Practice the following phrase using 'incroyable' tone:

NO!!!! - taille moins de 3m - deuxieme classe, sûrement, M'sieur.
Then if M. doubts my words - possibly rather more forcefully/offended and after pushing sunglasses up onto head - or possibly down nose, looking over em and shaking my head slowly then direct and level gaze
Sérieusement. Je suis grand-mère monsieur - pourquoi est-ce que je mentirais à vous ?

What do you think - will I get away with it????
Or has he got a list saying Fiat Ducato with Overcab 3.05m - Classe Trois?
Or Watch out for English wimmin claiming to be your Granny; they look so sweet but invariably lie like hell to save a few francs!

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
hi
Make sure you say one axle to the operator as some dont bother looking and charge for the larger vehicle.
We were on a long toll in France last year when we got to the booth my wife had forgot that we were on a toll road and when asked for a ticket started to panic and gave over a supermarket receipt which the man gave back to her she then produced an old bus ticket which started lots of verbals from the Frenchie , by this time there was quite a queue building up and he ended up waving us thru free of charge .
Have a great time
Wanderer

teensvan

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Fulltime in Motorhome
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

Most times you get charged Rate 2 or 3. If you have a tag axle like us you get charged rate 4 all the time. We now never use toll roads. Never in a hurry.

steve & ann. ------ teensvan

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I think I could speak French in the manner suggested by Sedge, with a slight scouse accent! Yes, you need to be able to respond to the Gallic shrug. As regards the suggestion about avoiding toll roads, yes, I have thought of that, but still working, albeit part time, restricts the truly relaxing approach to cover north to south. Perhaps the weather when we arrive may mean we don't need to do the dash.
Steve

Sable

Free Member
Jan 8, 2009
Funster No
Under 3m you should be classe 2 even with a trailer. My motorhome is just under 3m but last year after my Camos dome was fitted I checked my receipts and found that I had been charged classe 3 twice and classe 4 once - overcharge of 34€ altogether. These incorrect charges were all taken at unmanned booths with two operators being involved. You are allowed extras the roof except aircon. I wrote to both of them and received an immediate reimbursement from ASF but APPR would not budge (although they did send a luminous vest!) and said I should have queried it at the time. This year I was charged classe 3 at every unmanned booth so I pressed the button and spoke to them. If you are not a French speaker just be polite and say "Bonjour madame (monsiuer) je suis classe deux, pas trois" and they will understand immediately and alter the price BEFORE you enter your credit card - too late after you have paid.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Does a disabled blue badge help?

Sorry if this has been covered before:Smile:

Sable

Free Member
Jan 8, 2009
Funster No
Does a disabled blue badge help?

Sorry if this has been covered before:Smile:

I have just investigated the asf.fr autoroute site and if you are a classe 2 vehicle i.e. only two axles and less than 3m high then you travel as classe 1 with a blue badge. You have to use the telephone though at unmanned kiosks to inform them before paying.

Also Steve if you qualify for classe 2 then your trailer, if under 3m, is still permissable as classe 2.

Anyone over 3m high or over 3.5 tonnes with 2 axles is classe 3.

Anyone with more than 2 axles, no matter weight or height, will be classe 4.

As far as I know all operators use the same criteria.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have just returned from France and the tolls were class 2 as it is over 2 mts high

P

pharvey1

Deleted User
Peage Classes

Depends on the day and the attendant, always been class 2 (should be 4 I think), but they rarely check the rear wheels. Did have someone ask to see the Load plate once, but he could not be bothered to get out of the booth to check !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back