First purchase...help required! (1 Viewer)

W

Wyattnorm

Deleted User
My wife and I are fairly close to buying our first MH, not sure what to go for, maybe not that close then!

I can't decide whether to stretch our funds, (it will be a stretch) and go for a MH around £12000 or pick up an Autosleeper, Talbot type, for around £6000.

We would use it quite a lot as I'm 62 and want to see as much of this country as we can, as we only work part-time and have lots of spare time.

I have seen an advert for a Transit based Autosleeper, I think it is an 1988 model. Is this too old, any suggestions what I need to look for?

I do not want to put the responsibilty of our purchase on to others shoulders, but would really appreciate any info that may be offered up!

Kind regards

Norman.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Norman and welcome to the FUN site
With the age and budget in mind you would in my honest opinion you would do best sticking with a ford based vehicle, parts it seems are getting harder to source for the Talbot based vehicles and I'm talking chassis and engine here, as internal and trim parts will always be difficult to get hold of on older vehicles and the reason for that is two fold
1. Motor homes in general are very well kept vehicles, due in the main to the investment that they put into them, so non usually to found at breakers
2.The Talbot range were never a success in the white van man dept, so no supply at breakers there either, where as the transit was, and as a result there are thousands in the breakers yards and a lot of transit bits still remain the same on much newer vehicle and so spares will never be a problem
Buying any Motor Home is a question of personal choice and layout
checking for damp and rot is the main criteria, don't be afraid if its a coach built to push hard on the outside walls to check for movement, if it moves to much that could mean rotten timbers inside, walls should feel firm
inside smell is a good indication of damp and be wary of high powered air fresheners:whatthe: what it it trying to mask
Van conversions suffer a lot less from damp, but offer a lot less space
Others on here will be along with whats would be important to them as buyers I'm sure you will pick up a good few tips
Most important take your time in buying, and enjoy
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

Buy the best that you can afford and suits your requirements. as it will be a one off lifetime purchase.

I have'nt got much in that price range although I believe we may have a couple coming in soon as P/X's

If want to purchase locally (Cambridgeshire) I would recommend Wellsbridge Motorhomes as a supplier, they have quite a selection which would suit your budget and they are honest and straightforward.

Ask for Lance or Harry and tell them I sent you and you should be well looked after.
01-487-812901 www.wellsbridgemotorhomes.co.uk

Peter

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
what I need to look for?
Norman.

Mileage, service history.

Next door neighbour paid £8K for a Talbot, probably another £1K on mechanical repairs and he's done Scotland a couple of times without problems but it is starting to look tired, I'd be buying loads of rust killer if it were mine.

So your £12K sounds a better idea. Still will be getting on a bit but should be a more modern rust protected design.

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Norman and WELCOME

Geo gives a lot of sound advice there, think it covers all I could say.

Don't be in too much of a rush, if in any doubt about any part walk away there is always another van, once you have spent your cash it's gone if its not right, and you don't get it all back if you have to resell.

Best of luck hope you find what you want its out there somewere.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Wyattnorm

Deleted User
Brilliant replies...definitely off Talbots.

Peter...by coincidence, had already come across the Lance's website and enquired about a MH...hopefully will find the time go and have a look.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Kind regards.

Norman.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back