Fitting a SOG unit (type B). Can I remove the existing vent? (1 Viewer)

Biggerthanbefore

Free Member
Jan 23, 2011
North Staffs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1993, on and off.
Hi folks

As in the title I have purchased a SOG unit for my Niesmann Bischoff Arto 69E.
My question is: I have a small vent already in the cassette compartment door which has a pipe attached which I presume is an air vent already which links to the cassette pressure vent. The toilet is a Thetford c200 with electric flush which I believe is fed from the main tank.

I wondered if I would be able to do away with the existing vent and block up the hole in the door and use the SOG cover to hide the filled hole.
The blade opening mechanisim within the toilet compartment (the bit you cut off in the SOG instructions) has the rubber seal but my cassette has the non matching pressure relief valve which has me confused somewhat.

Thoughts anyone please?

Thanks

Bodge

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Yep I agree sounds like Niesmann Bischoff own SOG..... never mind you can send it back or sell it on here(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Biggerthanbefore

Biggerthanbefore

Free Member
Jan 23, 2011
North Staffs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1993, on and off.
Hi Lenny
The fitted vent is only small and no fan. It has a stainless steel shroud on the outside of the toilet casstte compartment door probably big enough to shove your thumb up. I think it links via a pipe to the rubber seal above the pressure relief valve on the cassette to vent the cassette when pressure builds up.

Thanks

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What toilet is it? The Thetford 250 and 260 has a vent that vents through the floor - opens when you slide the cassette in. As standard it does nothing, but you can buy a fan kit that fits in the floor complete with charcoal filter. Fan comes on with first press of the flush button.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
What toilet is it? The Thetford 250 and 260 has a vent that vents through the floor - opens when you slide the cassette in. As standard it does nothing, but you can buy a fan kit that fits in the floor complete with charcoal filter. Fan comes on with first press of the flush button.

I also have the 250 thetford with the fan kit fitted but also fitted an additional fan downstream of the tank fan connected to a PIR,
every time you enter the loo the PIR switches on some low level LEDs and fan for about 5 mins,
it works great for those nocturnal visits without disturbing anybody,

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The OP does say it is a C200 which does not have any vents.

OP
OP
Biggerthanbefore

Biggerthanbefore

Free Member
Jan 23, 2011
North Staffs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1993, on and off.
Yes it is a c-200 cassette. The vent is original but I am going to have a look this week when I get over to my storage place.
thanks for the answers.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
My Burstner has a C200 with a black vent pipe fitted, I think I left it in situ when fitting the SOG.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The C200 has an automatic pressure release vent (PRV) in the cassette which you remove and replace with the SOG pipe connector. In my Hymer, there was a black rubber corrugated tube that connected the PRV to the outside: it was vented through the floor, rather than the door. The connection with the PRV was effected by a rectangular rubber grommet. If I recall correctly, I simply left the black pipe in situ and bunged up the open end beneath the floor with a squirt of Sikaflex (probably overkill). I do not remember having to remove the other end of the pipe. So, in your case, I would have thought you can incorporate the existing hole in the door with the new SOG hole for its vent and suction motor.

Paul and Jeannette

Free Member
Oct 10, 2011
lincoln, lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
20 years on and off
We had a SOG fitted to our used motorhome by the suppliers. We had read that you do not need chemicals which seemed a good idea. However on collection the technician said that you still have to use chemicals, which rather defeats having it.
can anyone give the right answer please.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We had a SOG fitted to our used motorhome by the suppliers. We had read that you do not need chemicals which seemed a good idea. However on collection the technician said that you still have to use chemicals, which rather defeats having it.
can anyone give the right answer please.
Been using SOG's for 8 years never used any chemicals, link to SOG German site more info than on the UK one.

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
We've had a SOG for years and never used chemicals, that's why we fitted it so we didn't have to carry chemicals around. We are very pleased with it, no smells at all and all breaks down easy to empty out!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We don't use chemicals in ours works well wouldn't be without one.

OP
OP
Biggerthanbefore

Biggerthanbefore

Free Member
Jan 23, 2011
North Staffs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1993, on and off.
Well, that's the Sog sorted. Here is a couple of photos of what I started with as described earlier in the thread.
20160124_105145.jpg

The view inside the cassette door shows the black vent pipe.
20160124_105202.jpg

the black vent pipe travels under the cassette docking area to an external vent.
2016-01-24 10.52.08.jpg

The external vent.
20160124_105154.jpg

The previous owner must have replaced the cassette as it has the incorrect vent to match up with the vent on the van (on pic one).
2016-01-24 13.50.14.jpg

Anyway, 2 hours later I managed to lose the existing vent and hide the hole behind the new SOG vent. All working as it should do.
2016-01-24 13.50.08.jpg

And the door sticker hides the cheeky hole left by the old vent. ;)
2016-01-24 13.50.20.jpg

Discarded parts!!!!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Good job, you won't regret fitting a SOG. I suggest you buy spare charcoal filters when you are abroad - they are cheaper in Holland and Germany than in Britain.

OP
OP
Biggerthanbefore

Biggerthanbefore

Free Member
Jan 23, 2011
North Staffs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1993, on and off.
Good job, you won't regret fitting a SOG. I suggest you buy spare charcoal filters when you are abroad - they are cheaper in Holland and Germany than in Britain.
Where do they sell them in Germany or Holland? Caravan/MH shops?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You can buy online or list of dealers on their site SOG-Dahmann, most accessory shops stock them, but they may not have all versions in stock as there is quite a range now.
Quite impressed with the underfloor one we have in our van even though the filter cartridges are twice the price.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Quite impressed with the underfloor one we have in our van even though the filter cartridges are twice the price.
Lenny, is that the one that came as standard fit on your Hymer like mine? The one that comes on when you press the flush button for the first time? If so I think that is not made by the people who make the SOG, but is an optional extra fitted by Thetford that does the same thing. Had it on my previous motorhome (again standard fit) as well, and yes I agree it works well.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Yes - I have bought them in motorhome dealers for around €9 but I note that the UK distributor (Outdoor Bits) now sells them at £8 - a bit cheaper than they used to be I think.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Lenny, is that the one that came as standard fit on your Hymer like mine? The one that comes on when you press the flush button for the first time? If so I think that is not made by the people who make the SOG, but is an optional extra fitted by Thetford that does the same thing. Had it on my previous motorhome (again standard fit) as well, and yes I agree it works well.
Are you referring to this one?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes, it is the SOG , the Thetford one is not quite the same that is the one that operates with the flush, The SOG operates with the blade (SOG have a patent on it).
Bought a new filter in Germany €24 they are £25 in the UK, kept the old one looking at refilling it.

GaryBDawson

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2014
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Cathago 142QB A Class
Exp
30years
Years ago I had a dog fitted to an Arto just as you have the ordinal pipe fitted by neisman did not do much, I never used chemicals. My current German van came with a factory fitted dog vented through the roof still no chemicals that is the idea.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Years ago I had a dog fitted to an Arto just as you have the ordinal pipe fitted by neisman did not do much, I never used chemicals. My current German van came with a factory fitted dog vented through the roof still no chemicals that is the idea.
You must be barking mad to fit one of those!:wink:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You can stay on the SOG (or should that be dog Gary) Stellplatz in Germany, it is just outside Coblenz on the Mosel.

Cycled past but not stayed.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back