It's True What They Say About Elbow Grease... (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
It really does remove all black marks and dirt from the outside of the motorhome

411562_1_xnm.jpg

£1 a bottle in The Factory Shop

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Plain water would do the same... And would not remove any wax or sealants .. Just be a wee but careful what you wipe the side of you expensive motorhomes with, Not all products are suitable especially if they were formulated for use in kitchens and bathrooms.. (y)

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
It still amazes me that folk will spend tens of thousands of pounds on a van and then attack the surface with cheap and very nasty products. In case some have missed my tip on removing black streaks,
First clean the van thoroughly then apply an automotive liquid wax to the black streak, this will remove the streak and protect the surface finish and it won't damage the surface.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
It still amazes me that folk will spend tens of thousands of pounds on a van and then attack the surface with cheap and very nasty products. In case some have missed my tip on removing black streaks,
First clean the van thoroughly then apply an automotive liquid wax to the black streak, this will remove the streak and protect the surface finish and it won't damage the surface.

Completely agree ...

The thing with cheap cleaning products is that they will be concocted with cheap materials. There are many of these including some pretty nasty products that if the user knew what was in them they would not even get the stuff on their hands let alone wipe it over the side of one of the most expensive purchases we make.

The makers say no solvents on the package. But then many wheel cleaners are Acid free... They use caustics instead which are even more vile !

Echoing what Mike has written above a well prepared surface IE a nicely waxed van will shed the black streaks with no effort at all. I meant what I said when I said just a soft cloth with water will be more than sufficient to remove black streaks.

There is a well recommended APC (All Purpose Cleaner) which can be used on certain surfaces if there is stubborn or very hard to move marks on certain surfaces and we the detailers among us will tell folk what dilution rate with the greatest of pleasure. Safe dilution safeguards what we are cleaning .. The problem with cheap proprietary cleaners is they are designed to be used straight out of the bottle and we do not know what is in that bottle.

If it is necessary to use an APC on motor home it would need to be at a high dilution rate IE Start at 15 or even 20 to 1... Bathroom cleaners can be very very aggressive and in some cases equal to neat APC...

Trust me that is way to strong !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back