'Focused' on Shutter Priority today.... thank goodness for cropping! (1 Viewer)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I ended up buying a Lumix TZ60. Practising like mad before our holiday in India next week - still got a long way to go.

Should I be using the Shutter/Aperture priority or just using it on the 'P' setting until I get more competent?

Cormorant.JPG

Robin.JPG

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Nice first pics

See here for a good explanation http://www.digital-photo-secrets.co...better-aperture-priority-or-shutter-priority/ But essentially if the speed is important, such as stopping action [fast] or blurring waves, [slow] then choose shutter speed priority. If the depth of field is important to a particular shot, such as a landscape for plenty of depth, or a portrait with only a shallow plane of focus and a blurred background then choose aperture priority.

But that said, program modes are great on modern cameras and plenty of us use program mode than care to admit it. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would practice with everything plus altering the asa to crank up the speed when you need it in poor light. If you just run it on automatic you'll never learn what you can do. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Two pretty good shots there (y)

The trouble with any of the automatic or semi automatic modes is you'll never get properly used to it as long as you're letting the camera decide anything. Bite the bullet, stick it on fully manual straight away and never change it.

It might take you a few days longer to get the hang of it but once you do your results will be so much better. It won't take long before the four things - shutter, aperture, ISO and white balance become second nature and you can adjust them almost without thinking about it.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This was taken on manual with the aperture wide open in order to get the fastest speed as the Mutt doesn't sit still for more than a few picoseconds at a time. The result works I think because only the face and in particular the eyes are in focus. Pure luck I freely admit, I discarded dozens in the process of getting this one! But on fully automatic it would have been a slower speed and greater depth of field and possibly even with flash!

OI000040.jpg

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Nice first pics

See here for a good explanation http://www.digital-photo-secrets.co...better-aperture-priority-or-shutter-priority/ But essentially if the speed is important, such as stopping action [fast] or blurring waves, [slow] then choose shutter speed priority. If the depth of field is important to a particular shot, such as a landscape for plenty of depth, or a portrait with only a shallow plane of focus and a blurred background then choose aperture priority.

But that said, program modes are great on modern cameras and plenty of us use program mode than care to admit it. :)
Thanks Jim, will have a read of the link. I've read the books, but it's like a foreign language to me, nothing sinks in, so I thought it best to concentrate on one thing at a time! I think I will probably use it on the 'P' mode while we're in India, although I have been practising the shutter speed priority as I've been told there are some brilliant photos to be taken while we are travelling on the roads every day!

Hope you're all still enjoying Spain - love to Sian and Katy - look forward to seeing you all sometime soon! (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Stick it on auto, life's to short;):p
I know nothing about manual, but in my opinion unless you are a serious photographer there isn't enough time to faff about with settings if you just want a holiday snap of the moment, just my opinion from someone who just uses a windows phone for photos.(y):)

trevorf

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Modern Panasonic Lumix camera's have a setting labelled iA.
It means "intelligent auto" and does an excellent job in the vast majority of situations. Unless you are into the technical side of
photography its the best setting to use.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have had a TZ60 for a year now, generally very pleased with it. I have tried all types of different settings and have found it hard to beat the results the Intelligent Auto gives, must admit it surprised us.

A couple of tips, the mode selection wheel is very easy to knock need to check it every time you take the camera out of its case, we have ruined loads of photos due to this. By comparision our Lumix bridge camera never gets knocked to the wrong setting. Don't forget to wait for the GPS to log on, then if you view photo's in Google Picasa you get a small map at the side showing location.
Another point Deet ruins the anti-slip coating, ours has nearly all peeled off.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Another point Deet ruins the anti-slip coating, ours has nearly all peeled off.
Crikey Lenny - so glad you have told us that - I ordered a wholesale amount of 100% Deet to pack for the trip!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I've had one a couple of years and have been disappointed. Doesn't seem to matter what setting I have it on, they all come out too dark. I spend my life on Photoshop!! My partner bought a cheaper version than mine and gets better pics!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've had one a couple of years and have been disappointed. Doesn't seem to matter what setting I have it on, they all come out too dark. I spend my life on Photoshop!! My partner bought a cheaper version than mine and gets better pics!
On Auto ours nearly always gives very good results, did a comparison on holiday last year took the same shot with the TZ62 & our FZ18 Bridge camera even blown up on screen we could not tell the difference.
Most of the photos in my gallery taken in the last year were on the TZ60 (link in signature) they are all straight shots no Photoshoping.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You get a bit more flexibility with P mode if you're able to decide how/where the camera meters the light.

Having been raised on a Zenit E SLR I know what I need to know about shutter and aperture, but on my DSLR I take most shots in P mode. However I always opt for centred single point spot metering and auto focus so I have more control over the light metering and over where it's focused.

At the extreme end of shooting (for example a dragonfly in flight or a time exposure of the stars) I'll go over to manual. Likewise I'll shoot panoramas on manual so the exposure is consistent across all frames. With panoramas it's also important to switch off the auto white balance.

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
Got a photo tour of Edinburgh from offspring for my last birthday. The guy who runs it, James Christie, is a professional with decades of experience.

His first rule is only use manual, otherwise you are putting yourself in the hands of a dubious algorithm. Start with a shutter speed of 500 and an aperture of 5.6, with ISO on 200 and white balance on automatic.

Move the shutter speed and aperture up and down to see what happens. You will soon get a feel for what is the best option.

Then practice, practice, practice.

I am taking better photos now, though I am still pretty poor. I tend to take the shot twice. First on Program Auto and then on manual. It means I always get something adequate (program auto), but more and more I am getting something better with manual.

Dave

trevorf

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Having been raised on a Zenit E SLR I know what I need to know about shutter and aperture,

Ooo you must have been rich to have a Zenit E :) I started out with a Zenit B ! Basically the cheaper version without a built in light meter.
Very heavy but solid camera's built like a Russian tank! Excellent for learning about photography. Had mine from the age of 15 - 25 when I replaced it with an Olympus OM2n.

Trevor

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Ooo you must have been rich to have a Zenit E :) I started out with a Zenit B ! Basically the cheaper version without a built in light meter.
Very heavy but solid camera's built like a Russian tank! Excellent for learning about photography. Had mine from the age of 15 - 25 when I replaced it with an Olympus OM2n.

Trevor

It was my 18th birthday present in 1977, and I used it until a digital camera (the 0.5 Mpixel Kodak DC-120 'brick') came free with my first home PC in 1999, then I gradually moved over to digital. Twenty years of basic SLR photography stood me in good stead for all that followed.

The Helios lenses from the old Zenit cameras still sell well, especially the 44-7 range.

I've also been selling Olympus OM cameras on eBay in the run up to Christmas - best price so far was for an OM-4 body. An OM2n with 50mm lens went for £60+ the other day.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Trevor
Somewhere I still have a Minolta SRT101, brought in 1972 cost about 4 weeks wages.:)
Does that make me posh?:ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It was my 18th birthday present in 1977, and I used it until a digital camera (the 0.5 Mpixel Kodak DC-120 'brick') came free with my first home PC in 1999, then I gradually moved over to digital. Twenty years of basic SLR photography stood me in good stead for all that followed.

The Helios lenses from the old Zenit cameras still sell well, especially the 44-7 range.

I've also been selling Olympus OM cameras on eBay in the run up to Christmas - best price so far was for an OM-4 body. An OM2n with 50mm lens went for £60+ the other day.

Owned most every Canon since the A1. But in the last year I've had the OMD E-M1 what a great little beast it is.

trevorf

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Somewhere I still have a Minolta SRT101, brought in 1972 cost about 4 weeks wages.:)
Does that make me posh?:ROFLMAO:

Well posh!

In 1975 my Zenit B cost £15 second hand. I was earning £3.10 a week stocking supermarket shelves on a Saturday:D

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Owned most every Canon since the A1. But in the last year I've had the OMD E-M1 what a great little beast it is.
There's posh - I only have the M10! I recently bought the 9 - 18mm zoom for it, which equates to an 18 - 36mm zoom on a 35mm camera and I'm looking forward to using it when we go to Spain next, it should be good for landscapes and buildings - wide angle but not so excessively things get distorted.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There's posh - I only have the M10! I recently bought the 9 - 18mm zoom for it, which equates to an 18 - 36mm zoom on a 35mm camera and I'm looking forward to using it when we go to Spain next, it should be good for landscapes and buildings - wide angle but not so excessively things get distorted.

I have the 9-18 for sale as I'm about to buy the new 7-14 2.8. The 9-18 is a great lens though, I just want to go that bit wider. The 8mm fisheye is tempting too, but I have the manual Samyang fisheye which though little-used does turn in some great results.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have the 9-18 for sale as I'm about to buy the new 7-14 2.8. The 9-18 is a great lens though, I just want to go that bit wider. The 8mm fisheye is tempting too, but I have the manual Samyang fisheye which though little-used does turn in some great results.
You'll be able to get a lot of Funsters in the frame around the BBQ with that lens!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I had a 25mm point and shoot. One evening sitting by the pool in Goa and having a little dwinkie with a couple we'd met I said excuse me, and got up an left them, walked across the lawn behind us a snapped a pic of the setting sun, took a couple to make sure I'd got the shot right.

He had a fancy camera and told me the next night he'd taken it too that evening. So we come back and the photos are developed, then they invited us down for the weekend and off we trotted. The pics came out. My pics of the setting sum with the edge of the bole of a palm tree up the RHS, and the fronds coming across the top to frame the sun, were perfect. His weren't LOL.

I said to him well - you should have asked me exactly where to stand - I'd been considering that for a week before I took a photo and I knew exactly where what and how by that time! I'd stood there quite a lot, squinting into the viewfinder before I ever clicked. And I'd bought film appropriate to the temperature - I suspect he hadn't .......

He was pretty disgusted!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Trevor
This was my first 'serious' camera. Then I too had a Zenit E for years followed by a Pentax SLR.

Agfa-Isolette.jpg
Agfa-Isolette.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back