Jan 19, 2016
lancashire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1990
Hello everyone
Myself and the other half have been keen campers for well over 30 years and we still are. We use the double skillet pan on a regular basis that we have had since new and wouldn't do without it, however,as the original suppliers are no longer in business we have an opportunity to have these manufactured to the same spec if not better than the originals.

So, I'm doing a bit of market research in asking you good people whether there would be any interest.

Thank you for your input

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We are fans of the Double Skillet as well, having both sizes in use for some years. I've always been surprised that D&F didn't sell on the franchise.

We actually bought a spare larger one just before D&F stopped attending shows so we aren't in the market ourselves but, judging by many posts since, I'm sure there will be plenty of buyers out there.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We love our double skillet and like you wouldn't be without it. We only use the double skillet and a small non stick pan in fact. I think that there would be a demand for the product if it were produced again. I wouldn't replace ours though.
It would obviously be important to advertise the techniques that can be used with the double skillet and it's advantages .. like the little book that came with it.
Good luck. It's a great product.
:cheers:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Put us down for one as we have been after one for ages and surprised no one has taken it over.

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
We have one and use it all the time. Would be very pleased to know that it can be replaced if need be or we could get another so we have 2. Hubby is veggie so having 2 would be great.:)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Would be interested if not aluminium or if it was stainless steel either side of aluminium (tri-ply) - i.e. no aluminium in contact with food!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
We bought both years back .the large one with the egg poacher insert and the smaller version which I use when going solo .
Could do with replacement of the larger one as the ally has oxidised over time .

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Would be interested if not aluminium or if it was stainless steel either side of aluminium (tri-ply) - i.e. no aluminium in contact with food!
The double skillet is non stick so that would be the case?

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Great piece of kit but I gave mine to my daughter as bought a similar product in either Aldi or Lidl when in France a couple of years ago. The difference with the French one is the sides are sloped similar to a frying pan which makes it easier to get things out of the pan. Never seen them in the shops since but I expect it's something they get in occasionally just like UK Aldi & Lidl.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hello everyone
Myself and the other half have been keen campers for well over 30 years and we still are. We use the double skillet pan on a regular basis that we have had since new and wouldn't do without it, however,as the original suppliers are no longer in business we have an opportunity to have these manufactured to the same spec if not better than the originals.

So, I'm doing a bit of market research in asking you good people whether there would be any interest.

Thank you for your input
Probably worth trying to find out why the original company seems to have stopped trading. If it was still a viable business I would have expected they would have sold it.

It is quite possible most of those who want a double skillet already have one and given they no doubt last a long time they won't be buying a replacement any time soon. So that only leaves potential new customers and to them you are going to have to sell enough to recoup your costs of tooling etc and the significant costs of advertising to get yourself established.

Off the top of my head you will need at least £30K, probably a lot more and that only gets you a one product company. Which isn't to say it can't be made a success but you need to temper enthusiasm with cold realty, taking into account fewer people seem to cook for themselves these days and the actual size of the market. :)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

yes
Ours is wearing out and we'd like the smaller one in addition
Weren't they called Foulkes or Foukes?

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Probably worth trying to find out why the original company seems to have stopped trading. If it was still a viable business I would have expected they would have sold it.
I believe it was due to a bereavement but the surviving partner left the website running taking money and orders with no communication. It took me over a month to get a refund via paypal

Reactions: DBK

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
yes
Ours is wearing out and we'd like the smaller one in addition
Weren't they called Foulkes or Foukes?
No, I think it was Fouldes.

And yes I would be interested in another set. After the non-communication from Ms Fouldes, I had to get PayPal to order a refund and then bought a nearly new set on eBay.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Normally we would be interested too, as the non stick coating on our original double skillet (bought back in the late 80s/early 90s) became worn, however, last year, the eagle eyed Rita was passing a charity shop in P/boro, and there in the window was a brand new (still in it's packaging) original double skillet, which she quickly snapped up for less than a tenner, so that's us sorted for a good few years now. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Great stuff. The non stick surface could do with bringing up to modern standards but I think they would sell well. Ours are due for replacement.

skipper64

Free Member
Nov 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
We would be very interested in a new one.Great bit of kit,but ours is wearing out,so the sooner the better please!

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
I Would also be interested in one.if you gave a price range that you think you might be selling at, I am sure people would give you a more definite answer

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
and there in the window was a brand new (still in it's packaging) original double skillet, which she quickly snapped up for less than a tenner
My Welsh wifey boss has just corrected me, ie, she actually only paid £6.00 for it. :rofl:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

P.S. The very early Double Skillets were strong and well made, and got good reviews, however, the next generation of Double Skillets didn't seem to appeal to folks as much as the originals did. :(

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Is the
Ibili 405924 Omelette Pan
at Amazon
similar to the Double Skillet?
It's being offered at £21.51 with free delivery in the UK.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Is the
Ibili 405924 Omelette Pan
at Amazon
similar to the Double Skillet?
It's being offered at £21.51 with free delivery in the UK.
Similar, but not the same.
The Double Skillet came with removable handles, and a glass lid. One pan was of a slightly larger diameter than the other, and the two came together to form a seal. They could be inverted as one complete unit, and acted as an oven. If using liquids, the smaller pan had to be used first, so as not to spill any when both pans were inverted, ie, small pan pours into large pan.

HTH,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back