Jul 20, 2008
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA 625
Exp
7 YEARS
Hi all,

Have a 2-year old bessie E520. Just noticed a small hairline crack has appeared on the edge of the near-side skirt just behind the hab-door. My Dealer has told me it's not covered by warranty (I'm not sure what is covered any more !!) Anyone got a suggestion on best way to fix this ? . Will a smear of car body filler do the trick ? .

Thanks for your thoughts.

Newtothis

12-Bolt

Free Member
Dec 7, 2008
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Not decided yet
Exp
Just researching at the moment
Crack

First thing that I would do is to drill the extremities (either end), in order to halt any propagation (lengthening). Then go for a fill.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Will a smear of car body filler do the trick ? .

Newtothis

Definitely no.

Can you get behind it ? Any clue why it has cracked ?

If you can get behind rough up a big area with really course abrasive then slap on a good thickness of fibre filled body filler.

A small hole as suggested by 12 bolt is a sound idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi all,

Have a 2-year old bessie E520. Just noticed a small hairline crack has appeared on the edge of the near-side skirt just behind the hab-door. My Dealer has told me it's not covered by warranty (I'm not sure what is covered any more !!)

Just shows the difference between manufacturers, We have a Laika and a crack started on the rear skirt at approx. 18 months old, dealer took a picture of the crack sent it to Laika who replaced the rear bumper stating it was a manufacturing stress crack.
No problem. I did not even have to raise my voice.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Hi all,

Have a 2-year old bessie E520. Just noticed a small hairline crack has appeared on the edge of the near-side skirt just behind the hab-door. My Dealer has told me it's not covered by warranty (I'm not sure what is covered any more !!) Anyone got a suggestion on best way to fix this ? . Will a smear of car body filler do the trick ? .

Newtothis

Is this the dealer 'as advised by Swift', or the dealer 'as I can't be a*s*d to devote my time to looking after you,( our customer, without whom we would be out of business)'?
Unless, of course, the dealer was B'hills - then we wouldn't be in the least bit surprised.

What does the nice man at Johns Cross think?

John

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Is this the dealer 'as advised by Swift', or the dealer 'as I can't be a*s*d to devote my time to looking after you,( our customer, without whom we would be out of business)'?
Unless, of course, the dealer was B'hills - then we wouldn't be in the least bit surprised.
What does the nice man at Johns Cross think?
John

Would have thought that even if it was not under warranty, a goodwill gesture would not go amiss providing the buyer has paid a fair price for the van and not screwed the dealer into the deck.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Plastex HERE does the job I used it to repair my rear Bessacarr skirt. E-bay was the cheapest I could find and make sure you order white. I also bought some white plastic angle stuff from B&Q cut into strips and reinforced it from the back.:thumb:

OP
OP
HUGGY
Jul 20, 2008
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA 625
Exp
7 YEARS
Would have thought that even if it was not under warranty, a goodwill gesture would not go amiss providing the buyer has paid a fair price for the van and not screwed the dealer into the deck.

Peter

Peter,
On the face of it you guys at Johns Cross seem to be one of the very few dealers who have read, understand and seem to practise the treating the customer fairly manual. Not had a lot of faults with my current van, but to get ANY of them fixed has been a real battle via my current dealer. Swift products come in for a lot of stick, maybe some of this is justified however in my case it's the lack of DEALER support which is dragging the Swift name down. This is my first van and yes I paid a fair price for it, all I ask for in return is a fair level of service from the dealer. All I do get is "why not trade in for a newer van". I am thinking of doing just that. Guess who will NOT being getting any more of my money !! . I would pay you a visit, but I'm in North Hampshire and your near Hastings. Bit too far if things go wrong. Are there Any GOOD dealers in Berks, Hants, Surrey who want to talk to a potential customer !! . Be warned I will ask for and expect to get a good level of service.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back