Any advice welcome (1 Viewer)

B

BAZANDGAZ

Deleted User
Hi, we are trying to decide which motorhome to buy - has any body come accross the SWIFT ESCAPE RANGE. On the service they seem quite resonably priced and I know they have just won Motorhome of the year.

Is it worth paying a bit more money and getting a better Motorhome - any advice would be greatley appreciated.

Thanks

Baz

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Hi and welcome to the fun::bigsmile:

to ansaw your question, we would say don't buy a Swift, buy German, there have been and no doubt will continue to be lots of threads about swifts going wrong and swift being a jolly nice company who put them right

But if you buy German, Hymer, Eura Mobil, Hobby etc they are unlikely to go wrong, so you wont need a jolly nice company to put them right.

That said Swift will be more chintzy

bald eagle

Free Member
Jan 30, 2009
here,there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 1998
Hi bazandgaz and:welcome:
I would buy second hand every time, reason being most of the teething
troubles would have been sorted out.
Any way good luck in finding the right motorhome for you.:thumb:

regards
bald eagle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would buy a German van for their build quality, I particularly like the older Hymers on the Merc chassis.

Your first consideration should be the base vehicle.. problems with new Fiats would put me off.. older Fiats seem to have fewer problems and thousands of elderly ones are still going strong.. Ford, Renault and Mercedes are IMO better but not without issues, the Sprinter in particular has had a lot of bad press..

There are good British vans but they are mostly van conversions which don't suffer from the notoriously poor coachwork of C class.
If your looking at A or C class then the German vans are IMO the best.

As already mentioned, not only will a second hand van have all the teething troubles sorted out but you will save a bundle.. If you go this route and decide on a German marque then it's worthwhile considering importing from Germany.. The German owners look after thier vans fastidiously.. and there are a lot of good older vans that are in tip top condition..

Look here for some ideas and prices, (there is an English button) .. Link Removed

good luck and take your time..

Jim

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi, we are trying to decide which motorhome to buy - has any body come accross the SWIFT ESCAPE RANGE. On the service they seem quite resonably priced and I know they have just won Motorhome of the year.
Is it worth paying a bit more money and getting a better Motorhome - any advice would be greatley appreciated.
Thanks
Baz

Hi Baz,

The Escape range as a brand new budget van is proving popular, only criticsm is lack of outside lockers.

For a couple of £1000 more you can get a brand new Sundance depending on number of berths required.

You will always get more van for the money if you buy pre-owned.

Peter

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
agreed!

Hi bazandgaz and:welcome:
I would buy second hand every time, reason being most of the teething
troubles would have been sorted out.
Any way good luck in finding the right motorhome for you.:thumb:

regards
bald eagle

Yes indeed, although my parents have just bought a brand new Swift Voyager and they love it but yes they did have to go back and have the fridge pulled out and put back in again so I would like to buy it off them, next year, when all niggles have been sorted out and a lot cheaper than buying it new .... don't think they will go for it though :ROFLMAO:

We have a 6 year old Elddis and we love it and it was very reasonable too ::bigsmile:

Buying German ... my gran would turn in her grave! Don't mention the war! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Baz WELCOME to the fun.:thumb:

If you are going new then I would not buy a Fiat based van, either Ford, Merc or Renault would be my choice. Look around at second hand as problems should have been sorted.

Hope you find what you want.

Best of luck

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
We have just bought a Swift Ace Airstream 680FB 9 months old 5k miles extra's included 2 leisure batteries : solar panel : bike rack : cat 1 alarm : tow bar : microwave : reversing camera : awning : status tv system : 12 months RFL : a steal at under £ 33k.
We are over the moon with the build quality layout and performance , previous owner had engine chipped by Fiat and he returned 27 mpg towing a car , we have just done 800 miles in France showing 33 mpg on our 1st trip with a 2.3 130 6 speed without judder I am more than happy :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back