LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
i would like 2 replace my battery powered (12v)guzzling halogen lightbulbs,can anyone advise e.g cheapest methods, suppliers,is illumination sufficient for reading etc,etc,
many thanks in anticipation, gwyntaxi

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In our van we have four spot lights like Link Removed and two Crown lights like Link Removed plus a short fluorescent tube over the hob and a ceiling light in the washroom which had a G4 halogen bulb in it.

The fittings that most concerned us were the spot lights. They had tungsten bayonet capped bulbs which were both greedy for juice and got hot.

At Newark Show last March we bought one bulb similar to Link Removed (except it has 4 LEDs not 6) from Aten Lighting to try it out. We chose the White rather than Warm White colour (personal preference). It was fine so went back for three more to find that we had bought the last one. No problem, I paid for three more on the understanding that they would be sent to me at the end of the week. I expected that to be Friday or Saturday despatch for receipt on Monday but they actually arrived on the Friday - great service.

Spoke to Aten again at Peterborough Show and bought Link Removed for the washroom.

Using a couple of the spotlights is fine for both of us to read or watch TV. No need to use the Crown lights at all and we hardly ever use the fitting above the hob.

Graham

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
We have used these from Ultraleds for the spotlights and other units elsewhere:

Link Removed

They are exceptional good but not cheap; however despite this great value for money. Having other LEDS it is a case you get what you pay for.
hint: buy those featuring the little yellow clusters.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I bought mine from virtualvillage.co.uk. They are in China but delivery is very quick. If you want quite a few email them first and they will give a good discount. With your first order you get a voucher code for 20% of the next order. Postage is very reasonable starting at £2 for a couple of bulbs.

Andy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
e.g cheapest methods, suppliers,is illumination sufficient for reading etc,etc,
many thanks in anticipation, gwyntaxi

NOT the cheapest UltraLeds but I haven't had a single failure.

Whoever you buy from buy Warm White this matches normal bulbs, cold white is far too glaring for me.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have used these from Ultraleds for the spotlights and other units elsewhere:

Link Removed

They are exceptional good but not cheap; however despite this great value for money. Having other LEDS it is a case you get what you pay for.
hint: buy those featuring the little yellow clusters.

Interestingly you highlight cool white, I tried a couple of cool white and found them uncomfortable. So I fitted those in the "kitchen" and fitted warm white everywhere else.

We both agree UltraLeds are good. It is possible they come from the same manufacturer in China as the cheaper ones but they may have different levels of testing and UltraLeds pay for a higher tested range and the cheaper ones are the rejects.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im sure all on here will agree
The secret of Leds is, to buy them, fit them, and forget them:Doh:
Its not till you stop staring and comparing them with normal lights you realise they work just as well:thumb:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Im sure all on here will agree
The secret of Leds is, to buy them, fit them, and forget them:Doh:
Its not till you stop staring and comparing them with normal lights you realise they work just as well:thumb:

Agreed, we changed all our bulbs to LED's at Stratford and think they are great (warm white). The power saving is tremendous. :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Regarding warm white and cool white. It's very much a question of personal preference.

We preferred the cool white because they seem more like daylight - no yellowish cast on a book page as one gets with tungsten filament lamps.

Suppliers at shows have stands set up to demonstrate the difference.

Graham

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
Interestingly you highlight cool white, I tried a couple of cool white and found them uncomfortable. So I fitted those in the "kitchen" and fitted warm white everywhere else.

We both agree UltraLeds are good. It is possible they come from the same manufacturer in China as the cheaper ones but they may have different levels of testing and UltraLeds pay for a higher tested range and the cheaper ones are the rejects.

We prefer the "white" for our reading and kitchen working area lights but have the "warmer" for over the dining table. Very much a personal thing but thankfully I agree with the boss on this one.[ I think I am allow to say that!]
Some earlier ones we had were a harsh blueish white and we did not like thoses but these Ultraleds whites are much easier to live with.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back