Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I am going to buy a generator !! I have looked at Honda and I have looked at Kipor..the Kipor looks favourite on price alone....Suggestions please and where to Buy...Ta muchly !!:thanks2:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi Steve

Hope everything is ok with Kay:thumb:

I went for the Kippor 2000, it does the job never had any trouble and bought it of e-bay a couple of years ago.:thumb:

And don't forget a good chain and padlock to stop it growing legs and walking off

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I suggest you buy a Honda, but if you do not want to spend that much money then your best bet is to contact Link Removed Keen prices and a good aftersales service.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scunny-Arfie

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Scunthorpe
Funster No
Hi Steve, i last week plunged for the Kipor IG 2000 after spending days surfing for the best gen + best price, i paid £335 + £9.95 p+p. I've only used it the once last weekend + it was great. Should you decide this is the model you want + the price is right feel free to PM me + i can give you the dealer also an article i found online about how Kipor had stolen the Honda patent + Honda are trying to stop all sales of Kipor in the UK.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Steve, i last week plunged for the Kipor IG 2000 after spending days surfing for the best gen + best price, i paid £335 + £9.95 p+p. I've only used it the once last weekend + it was great. Should you decide this is the model you want + the price is right feel free to PM me + i can give you the dealer also an article i found online about how Kipor had stolen the Honda patent + Honda are trying to stop all sales of Kipor in the UK.

I was sure that the Honda v Kipor was resolved ages ago. Is it still going on?

I do not know what bits Kipor copied, but it certainly wasn't the noise reduction. ::bigsmile: All generators are noisy under load, but the wail of a hard working Kipor has me running for my ipod, headphones and some heavy metal:Smile:

Scunny-Arfie

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Scunthorpe
Funster No
the Kipor i've bought seems very quiet + i'm very pleased with the 56db but i'm no expert on them but it could do with being a little noisier as i can still hear the Mrs when she goes on + on. :Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Steve.
splash out and buy a honda, No contest IMO. I looked for ages and eventually went for the honda. when in the van I can not hear it running. Iy is whisper quiet. It even prevents the anti generator brigade from tutting. Kippors are ok, but a poor mans honda :ROFLMAO::Tongue1:hardhat

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I've had my kipor for 4 years and very pleased.

Jim is biased as he has shares in Honda:secret:

Haggers is minted and now embarrassed at all the money he has spent:Tongue1:

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use a kipor diesel genny .not quiet infact its very niosey.only use it for working welder etc but nice genny got it from theirish lads for 250. sometimes think the big petrol would have been nice. forget the so called quiet ones they still iritate when on allday how some do.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
my advice, if it is worth anything, and I don't want to dampen the thought of you buying a generator.......once you have purchased one, leave it at home, as what I have seen other motor homers don't seem to like the person running a genie....I was just speaking to brit on Friday he has one kept in his shower (because he does not like using it now, he has been over here for 8 weeks) when he tried to use it in France the French people was pulling there hair out and shaking there fists not a good start on a aire/campsite....
just a thought ..........Mel living in France

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
my advice, if it is worth anything, and I don't want to dampen the thought of you buying a generator.......once you have purchased one, leave it at home, as what I have seen other motor homers don't seem to like the person running a genie....I was just speaking to brit on Friday he has one kept in his shower (because he does not like using it now, he has been over here for 8 weeks) when he tried to use it in France the French people was pulling there hair out and shaking there fists not a good start on a aire/campsite....
just a thought ..........Mel living in France

I wondered how long it would be before the dont use a genny argument started. Although you of course make valid points Mel there is no excuse not to have a genny, its all about how you use it. Whne we have stayed on aires in France in the middle of winter, everybody practically runs a generator regardless of what country they come from. Rare that someone runs one past 11pm and rare for it to be started in the morning. Its a sort of genny code.

We use ours at shows and rallies and all ways pay respect to others around us even placing 30 meters away and running a cable. Ours as said is whisper quiet, its a honda after all and to date we have had no complaints or fist shaking.:thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We were a little torn between the kipor and the honda.

We bought a honda and if you are going to use it well i.e. not just a few times a year I think the honda is worth the extra money.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I wondered how long it would be before the dont use a genny argument started. Although you of course make valid points Mel there is no excuse not to have a genny, its all about how you use it. Whne we have stayed on aires in France in the middle of winter, everybody practically runs a generator regardless of what country they come from. Rare that someone runs one past 11pm and rare for it to be started in the morning. Its a sort of genny code.

We use ours at shows and rallies and all ways pay respect to others around us even placing 30 meters away and running a cable. Ours as said is whisper quiet, its a honda after all and to date we have had no complaints or fist shaking.:thumb:

I am not against genies .......I have two myself one is a 1kw and one is a 2.2 kw....would I use them!!!!!!!! no, I use the 110w solar and battery...and I know you are going to say they are ok while the sun is shining...but up till now I have been ok just been away for 4 weeks only three sites with EHU..but it is better that being on a site no should I say a fair ground in the evening .......the fellow motorhomer i mentioned he said he had to put his genie well well away from his van then he called at the shops for a large carboard box to cover the genie, with hole cut out for the for exhaust fumes just to pasify the neighbours...he said it is not worth the trouble to run the genie for a couple of hours in the evening....not me

if you are wild camping OK if you are on your own on a site Ok.........

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Many thanks for all the input. I have decided on a Honda and the cheapest quote is £597.16 from tidyco.co.uk Unless you know better of course...:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
A mighty fine choice, and a good price. get it ordered.:thumb:

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Many thanks for all the input. I have decided on a Honda and the cheapest quote is £597.16 from tidyco.co.uk Unless you know better of course...:thumb:

Did you buy it? I'm guessing at that price it's the EU10i, I'm seriously thinking about a 20i and the cheapest I've found is Edge Technology - £899 :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Did you buy it? I'm guessing at that price it's the EU10i, I'm seriously thinking about a 20i and the cheapest I've found is Edge Technology - £899 :thumb:
Hi,In my humble opinion,when you start talking of spending £900 on a genny,you would be better off putting the cash towards a good solar system.We have a built in 5kva genny that we never use only for the microwave and toaster,and we have a 1kva portable which has not been started for years.Put the cash towards a solar and you will never regret it.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Hi,In my humble opinion,when you start talking of spending £900 on a genny,you would be better off putting the cash towards a good solar system.We have a built in 5kva genny that we never use only for the microwave and toaster,and we have a 1kva portable which has not been started for years.Put the cash towards a solar and you will never regret it.

Fair point.

The thing is, I know about gennies, you start em up and plug in the EHU lead (after switching off the fridge RCD) and away you go... I have no idea how solar works :Sad: Is it easy to connect?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi,If you can service a genny,you can fit a solar system.Once its fitted,forget it vertualy forever.No servicing,apart from the cleaning the panels from time to time.Dont have to buy and carry petrol around.As I said earlier,if you are thinking along the lines of Honda gennys and the price of them,put the cash to a good solar system,it will pay for itself in the long term and NO complaints from other campers.We never nead hookups even on the road for months.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:winky:
I was sure that the Honda v Kipor was resolved ages ago. Is it still going on?

I do not know what bits Kipor copied, but it certainly wasn't the noise reduction. ::bigsmile: All generators are noisy under load, but the wail of a hard working Kipor has me running for my ipod, headphones and some heavy metal:Smile:

i beileve it was the inverter/control panel circuitry Jim.:thumb:

after listening to some gennies at the meets my Kipor IG2600 is definately on 'silent running' mode, but yes, it is noisier than a Honda.
they are quite enough if lightly loaded but start the air-con/boiler etc and the volume does go up a little bit:winky:

ayjaytee

Free Member
Jan 12, 2009
Leics
Funster No
MH
LP 2berth
Exp
kIPOR GENERATOR

Can you safely plug it into the hook up socket?
Alan

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
My mate has a 1k Honda and I have a 1k Kipper.

We did a side by side sound test and the Honda won by about 25 metres.

The cheap option? A kipper and a long lead. Can't stand the smell of kippers anyway!:ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Our electricity went down at about 9 this morning. No idea when it will be back on. No problem though, the 2kw Honda is humming away in the yard and everyone who needs electric has it. Presently its powering my lap top, the router, a telephone and my fridge freezer, and it will do it all day on a couple of pints of petrol. :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We use a microwave over quite a lot.. tried a 12v one and it was not exactly great compaired to a mains one..
Sooooo, that meant we needed a genny.
I am in complete agreement with all those who have said if you can afford a Honda, then go for one.. Sadly I could not afford a 2kVA Honda so bought a Kipor at Newark ( £230.00 ).
It has been through maybe 10 tanks full of squirt so far and all without a blip.. I was told to keep an eye on the oil level but again, so far nary a drop used..
It has been used at all the bike rallies I go to as well as various weekend events and outings.

Yes, the Honda is def the way to go if you can go that way, but if a Kipor is all you afford, then in my experience it is not too bad a substitute for the real thing :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back