New Vehicle - Help also required please (1 Viewer)

chaswb100

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Brentwood,Essex
Funster No
MH
5er
Exp
2 Years
As we are now looking for a new tow vehicle I read the previous thread with great interest ,confusion and then - HELP!!!

We should be in a position to go "Full Time" in our Kountrylite 26RK in about 3 months time(1 year early),and as we will need to take more stuff than our Navara's trainweight will alow we have to have a ???.

Our Kountrylite has a GPVW of 3455K, but this is reduced when the weight of 2 adults & a large dog is taken off the train weight of the Navara.

I think we need a small american pickup but which one and what spec? We wish to keep as small as possible while still getting the required train weight.

Help would be much appreciated

chaswb100

ps - Anybody want a Navara Advantura manual with hitch,airbags & brake controller before it goes on ebay?

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off
Link RemovedThis beast I came across on Shetland would give you a better payload.
Link Removed
But this was my answer to finding a better truck than my L200 to pull my 26' Sunvalley it has a train weight of 5750, 20+mpg spares are easy to get & seats 6 in comfort plus room for M/cycle between back of cab & 5th wheel.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ,,i use a mitsubishi canter 6.3 ton chassis cab. train of 9.8 ton voluntary down plated to 8.25.see my profile for pic. i did use the vwlt 50 for years .(bit slow).check all weights with care ,i find alot of american pickups are 3.5ton so no better than what you have. keep all your brake control gear lyou will need it on the next one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Hi Chas

A small american pick up........hmm a bit of an oxymoron ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Any 150/1500 series would be sufficient, obviously if it has the towing pack fitted as standard then all the better. As to manufacturer then it is a matter of personal choice. The alternative to an american pick up is something like a Nissan Titan or Toyota Tundra.
And yes you can get them in this country, before anyone asks. Just check carefully the length of the pick up bed as in Crew Cab(4 door "non suicide") spec the beds can be a bit short.

HTH

Rob

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
does a 150 have a big enough train wt.?

Hi Alan, as a generalisation,yes they do, not all as some variations of 150/1500's are little more than saloon cars masquerading as pick ups, but the common or garden variety do have sufficient train weight.
The big issue with 150/1500's relates to the width of the 5'er. Over 7'6" and you need a GVWR of 3500Kgs to be legal, and they just do not meet that.

Worth considering I think.

Rob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, am still not conversant with the american pick up wts etc . you are definately correct on widths i,m not even up to date on the sizes of american trailers. i do know most of the rules and it seems to me more n more people keep having no regard to legislation. i dont think most of the dealers in uk give a hoot. i did speak to some years ago n decided best try to keep well covered by uk regs. by the way have just bought a bit longer trailer ripe for convertion pick it up wednesday. again built by lynton trailers in manchester. if anyone wants abig 5er google their site they do a lovely big one. bbbbbbbiiiiiiiigggg.cheers alan.

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Hi Alan.

Train weights for the American Pick Ups really do need to be checked carefully for each model and variant. The difference between them can be quite substantial.
The variations in specification and therefore weights is simply vast, (2dr, 4dr, crew cab, work cab, super cab, short bed, long bed, dually, diesel, gasoline, flex fuel, manual, auto, 4 x 2, 4 x 4, various trim levels.........the mind boggles :shout::shout::shout:)

The good news is that there are plenty of web sites in the US where you can check the specs of an exact model. Knowledge is power as they say.

That Lynton is BIG ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Rob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi rob .do you think it,ll be ok to go on cls. or caravan club sites as it is a proprietry make not home build. can it be pulled by a nissan navara or shall i have to get a yank pickup. lol... it is uk spec. not too good for off roading. like the little genny on unit ,ideal for campsite use. have fun just off to barbers !!!alan

OP
OP
chaswb100

chaswb100

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Brentwood,Essex
Funster No
MH
5er
Exp
2 Years
Hi Chas

A small american pick up........hmm a bit of an oxymoron ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Any 150/1500 series would be sufficient, obviously if it has the towing pack fitted as standard then all the better. As to manufacturer then it is a matter of personal choice. The alternative to an american pick up is something like a Nissan Titan or Toyota Tundra.
And yes you can get them in this country, before anyone asks. Just check carefully the length of the pick up bed as in Crew Cab(4 door "non suicide") spec the beds can be a bit short.

HTH

Rob

Hi Rob

Thanks for the above.

As the Kountrylite's GPVW is 3455K & UK Spec(7'6" Wide)I only need a pickup of up to 3500K?.I had not heard of Nissan Titan or Toyota Tundra but with a little research I think they are too big.Are they the same size as a 150/1500 Series or larger?Also what is the Towing Pack that its best to have?

Thanks - Chas

OP
OP
chaswb100

chaswb100

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Brentwood,Essex
Funster No
MH
5er
Exp
2 Years
Hi Alan, as a generalisation,yes they do, not all as some variations of 150/1500's are little more than saloon cars masquerading as pick ups, but the common or garden variety do have sufficient train weight.
The big issue with 150/1500's relates to the width of the 5'er. Over 7'6" and you need a GVWR of 3500Kgs to be legal, and they just do not meet that.

Worth considering I think.

Rob

Just to clarify,to tow 8' Wide dosn't the tow vehicle vehicle have to be over 3500k - ie 3501K upwards ? Doesn't affect me but I'm trying to get my head around as much towing info as possible.

Thanks - Chas

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Hi Rob

Thanks for the above.

As the Kountrylite's GPVW is 3455K & UK Spec(7'6" Wide)I only need a pickup of up to 3500K?.I had not heard of Nissan Titan or Toyota Tundra but with a little research I think they are too big.Are they the same size as a 150/1500 Series or larger?Also what is the Towing Pack that its best to have?

Thanks - Chas

Hi Chas,
Given the weights and dimensions of your Kountrylite any of the 150/1500 series pick ups will be capable of dealing with the Kountrylite. The Titan and the Tundra are approximately the same size as a 150/1500 series pick up, give or take an inch or so. They look more European in appearance then the American pick ups although I appreciate that beauty is in the eye of the beholder (and what would I know I have a bright yellow Ford F250 ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:).

The towing pack is a series of uprated components that are factory fitted, some will prove to be quite useful, some not so much so.
The components may include such things as Integrated Brake Controller, 3.73 Axle (replacing the 4.10), Overdrive lock out on Auto Gearbox, Gearbox oil cooler, Uprated springs and dampers on the rear wheels, Power extending mirrors.
It all depends on which manufacturers' model you choose. If you use something like Edmunds.....see link.......you can get all the relevent data for a particular model and year.

Link Removed

Hope that helps.

Rob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, yes if the trailer is over 2.3mtr you need a tow unit over 3.500kg gross weight. only by looking at the train wts will you get your answer . is it a problem for you to go over 3.500kg. cheaper road tax if you do.

OP
OP
chaswb100

chaswb100

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Brentwood,Essex
Funster No
MH
5er
Exp
2 Years
hi, yes if the trailer is over 2.3mtr you need a tow unit over 3.500kg gross weight. only by looking at the train wts will you get your answer . is it a problem for you to go over 3.500kg. cheaper road tax if you do.

No problem,just had not considered it before.Cheaper tax sounds good.

Once again,just for info,where or who do you go to for the MOT that all? trailers over 3500K are suppose to have? Speaking to all the importers before buying the Kountrylite
no one has ever mentioned this.

Thanks - Chas

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mot for over 3.5oo kg trailers is a ministry test. importers dont say anything as they either dont know or care.

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
No problem,just had not considered it before.Cheaper tax sounds good.

Once again,just for info,where or who do you go to for the MOT that all? trailers over 3500K are suppose to have? Speaking to all the importers before buying the Kountrylite
no one has ever mentioned this.

Thanks - Chas

Hi Chas,

MOT Test, I am always prepared to be proven wrong, referring to the following

The Transport Manager's and Operator ... - Google Books

It would appear that all Trailers are exempt from testing. see paragraph entitled exemptions which states " and all trailers are exempt from the test".

My understanding from extensive reading is that the Dft test is for Commercial vehicles and not Private ones. I am lead to believe that there is likely to be an EU wide test introduced but it is unlikely to be retrospective as there is no register of trailers or caravans.

It appears that 5'ers are classed as Caravans and as such do not need testing, not my words, those of Dft when I rang them.

HTH

Rob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi rob. if you look at the exemptions i have it as living vans not exceeding 3.500kg design weight .only picked up some v112g forms this week they say the same. i use the transport managers handbook all the time .fits in a big pocket .lol.cheers if the caravan is under 3,5000 ok if its over it needs mot.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back