Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
North Coast 500 route features prominently on our summer planning calendar, just cannot decide I it should be summer 2016. Can existing facilities cope, are new ones ready for what will surely be an onslaught in the first summer season since opening?
Fuel availability?

Be interested to hear the opinions of members who may already have completed the entire route, not just parts of route which may have been completed to fit a different travel itinerary.

Any recommendations for stopovers, must see places etc., will be avidly read. Our route will also take in the Falkirk Wheel and Neptune's Steps near Ft William.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...te-66-named-six-coastal-road-trips-world.html

Bryan

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
It looks like a great route.
Interested in your responses.

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Hi, Sue, how been. Morocco bound?

Bryan and Anna (Co-Pilot)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Read the Scotland thread under rally planning some good information there.
Sorry can't put a link to it as I am on my tablet.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Has anyone done this? Definitely on the list now.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Never been one for following tourist 'routes' .. either at home or abroad.. it makes it (for me) too commercial .. much prefer finding my own way and avoiding tourist traps.. which these kind of routes are designed to funnel you into

to be honest.. you can hardly take a wrong 'route' in Scotland.. everywhere you drive there is plenty to see and finding by yourself you won't be surrounded by tourists ...

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Times have changed hugely in tourism and Scotland is no different to any other such area in the world.
Born and dragged up in Scotland's " second" city my pals and I had a short B&B break in Ft William in 1961, courtesy of a doting dad....... Not mine I hasten to add! On going out on Sunday evening the landlady politely asked,"Are yous awa' doon the Kirk boys? Naw, says I, were awa' doon the Gaumont."
On our return some hours later we were greeted by our bags and baggage on the doorstep!!
Tourism, and time have clearly changed those attitudes and think it is time you got on board @scotjimland and push for the success of such innovative schemes.

Bryan

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
I want to do that route later this year when I retire,but what is the best month to go to avoid the midges?

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
I want to do that route later this year when I retire,but what is the best month to go to avoid the midges?

No idea, but somebody will be along with best/worst dates. Just hang around a while.

Bryan

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I have ridden it numerous times on the motor bike. Driven it once in the motorhome. I can tell you definitely which is best. Will be doing it again this summer both on the bike, with some mates ( lads trip) and in the motorhome. It is great fun either way BUT which do YOU think is best?

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
I have ridden it numerous times on the motor bike. Driven it once in the motorhome. I can tell you definitely which is best. Will be doing it again this summer both on the bike, with some mates ( lads trip) and in the motorhome. It is great fun either way BUT which do YOU think is best?

Question I wanted answered, but in a different context.
Which way round? Given the starting point in Inverness ( great stopover) is clockwise or anticlockwise best and does it really matter?

Bryan

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We have ridden it both ways and I do not think it matters which way you go. However and this may sound strange. It is very different going the other way. Like a completely different ride. Hope this helps, even a little bit.

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
We have ridden it both ways and I do not think it matters which way you go. However and this may sound strange. It is very different going the other way. Like a completely different ride. Hope this helps, even a little bit.

:rofl::rofl::reel:

Was fishing for ideas, but don't think SWMBO would stand for clockwise 2016 and the other 2017...... Will give it a go. Might like it so much we can turn straight round......... And do the reverse run. Ta!

Bryan

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Yes it did occur to me that any route around there would be lovely but it's nice to travel a route with camping mapped out for us and suggestions what to do and see etc. Also we'll probably be doing it out of high season so it'll be less commercial.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The N500 has been dreamt up by the Scottish tourist board and well done to them , as long as people doing the route spend some money with the locals im sure that all will be happy , its the ones that load up at their local supermarkets and dont spend whilst doing the tour that will give the others a bad name.

Goshawk

Free Member
Mar 2, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
good info thinking of going up April maybe for a few weeks then on to Ireland for a few weeks, heres hoping wanted to do so for a while , we have friends in Ireland so be good to see them , cross over to Larne from Cairnryan, and return via Rosslare to Fishguard, best laid plans eh

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
There are one or two nice spots down the east coast, one of my greatest ever disappointments was going to North East Scotland for the fist time, I expected rugged cliffs and mountains, it is like one big farm, coastline so so, whereas the west cost is surprise after surprise. Both need to be done, but I would go anti clockwise to do east first, or not bother with east, the bit near Inverness is pretty good, Dornoch to Brora and round there is nice, but you could have gone up past Loch Shin / Altnaharra and really had some scenery, basically miss off the top right hand corner, cut across through Lairg Altnaharra come back out near Tongue :)

That said we have been there, you maybe should try for yourselves, (y) but don't miss the middle bit out, unless May - September then stick to the coast or don't go :D

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
There are one or two nice spots down the east coast, one of my greatest ever disappointments was going to North East Scotland for the fist time, I expected rugged cliffs and mountains, it is like one big farm, coastline so so, whereas the west cost is surprise after surprise. Both need to be done, but I would go anti clockwise to do east first, or not bother with east, the bit near Inverness is pretty good, Dornoch to Brora and round there is nice, but you could have gone up past Loch Shin / Altnaharra and really had some scenery, basically miss off the top right hand corner, cut across through Lairg Altnaharra come back out near Tongue :)

That said we have been there, you maybe should try for yourselves, (y) but don't miss the middle bit out, unless May - September then stick to the coast or don't go :D
agree except - go NE & get the day-trip (or longer) to Orkney

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
that is the only reason we will be going back, but not just a day trip, then on to the Shetlands for us, contemplating it instead of Norway for this year
Shetland is definitely on my to-do list, has been since I were a nipper - and that's a very long time to hold a thought :)

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We have done this route in its entirety and also returned to many parts of the coast on the West. In our opinion the West coast out ways the East coast in every respect. Love the road up to the Summer Isles above Ullapool - from then on we would just prefer to turn around and come down the West coast again. It looks entirely different heading North to going South. If we don't go to Scotland every year we get withdrawal symptoms! Would be happy to answer any specific questions

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We are going around the NC500 between the 7th and 18th of May. If we amend our schedule a bit to give us a day in John O Groats, to do the Orkney tour (runs 09:00 to 18:15 from the 1st May), what are the odds that it would be cancelled due to bad weather

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We are going around the NC500 between the 7th and 18th of May. If we amend our schedule a bit to give us a day in John O Groats, to do the Orkney tour (runs 09:00 to 18:15 from the 1st May), what are the odds that it would be cancelled due to bad weather
We went in May. It's always a 'bit' rough on the Pentland Firth due to 4 tides etc.
This is the tour we did - expensive for a day out? but in our view well worth it. I'd do it again - except I'd rather go over for a couple of weeks next time! It's a brilliant 'taster' tour.
http://www.jogferry.co.uk/getdoc/cc44c9ff-c84b-444c-972f-bbbb9a2ff7ec/Maxi.aspx
Hope you don't get cancelled (y)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Dragging this thread back to the fore for some advice.

Would those that have done the NC500 consider 3 weeks enough time to do it justice?

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Dragging this thread back to the fore for some advice.

Would those that have done the NC500 consider 3 weeks enough time to do it justice?
Sandra, 3 months wouldn't do it justice but you will be able to see a lot in 3 weeks. You just have to decide where you want to stop off.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back