Transferring VHS tape to computer (1 Viewer)

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I have a couple of VHS tapes from when the kids were small that I want to transfer to the computer and then to DVD. The kits seem to vary in price a lot, has anyone used any of these video capture kits & can recommend one .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Why not transfer direct to DVD? That's what I did.

I just hooked up the VHS recorder/player to the DVD recorder (with its output connected to a TV) using a patch lead, started the DVD recording and set the tape playing. Once the tape was finished I stopped the DVD recorder and finalised the disc.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I have a couple of VHS tapes from when the kids were small that I want to transfer to the computer and then to DVD. The kits seem to vary in price a lot, has anyone used any of these video capture kits & can recommend one .
I purchased a DVI (digital camcorder cannon) from eBay £100 which has a analogue to digital converter built in so input from vhs to camcorder firewall 1394 (I think) connection then out to computer and the conversion is excellent
One 3 hour VHS tape takes about 36Gig on your hard drive so better to buy an external one if converting a lot of tapes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Why not transfer direct to DVD? That's what I did.

I just hooked up the VHS recorder/player to the DVD recorder (with its output connected to a TV) using a patch lead, started the DVD recording and set the tape playing. Once the tape was finished I stopped the DVD recorder and finalised the disc.
Haven't got a DVD recorder, just a player, I didn't want to spend much as its only a couple of tapes and probably wont be used again.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Haven't got a DVD recorder, just a player, I didn't want to spend much as its only a couple of tapes and probably wont be used again.
Have u not got a DVD recorder on your PC as most generally are
Can't put a prices on memories and once your VHS breaks you will struggle to get another
On a different note whilst traveling to Venice in the van last year we stopped in Germany and seen VHS tapes for sale in a major store, couldn't believe it so maybe get a player there if needed

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You can buy a low cost USB analogue to digital video converter that accepts composite input (ie the three cables with red, white and yellow plugs), then use open source video capture software to get the recordings from your VCR to your hard drive. Some converters have free software with them.

After that you just need to decide what format you want to save it with on the disc. Again, there are free converters available if you need them.

If your VCR only has SCART output you can get a SCART to composite gizmo that will link to the USB device.

As it's only a couple of tapes you might consider it less faff to just send them to a third party conversion service but you should try to get a backup copy of the tapes before you send them anywhere. I used such a service when we found a Betamax tape of my Dad leading a PE lesson some years ago before he was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. My kids and their cousins had no memory of their Grandad as a physically lively person because his illness was a long one. I was able to make a copy of the tape using someone's old Betamax recorder, then I sent the original off for conversion to disc. This meant I could give a copy of the disc to the children as a memento of Grandad before he got ill. Priceless.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you have a local 'Freecycle' site try putting an appeal on for a video/dvd recorder - you can then just record direct from VHS to the DVD.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
:thanks3: May get one of these, Broken Link Removed for the sake of £6 worth a try.
Better be quick there's only one left!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hmmm, VHS to computer (n)
I don't think I've ever seen a slot big enough on a computer for that.:whistle: ;)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'm building up a pile of obsolete recording devices in my attic, including reel to reel tape recorders, video recorders, video cameras, and even early digital cameras. I got a Sony Mavica digital camera the other day that recorded onto a 3.5" floppy disc. I've also been experimenting with ways of scanning old negatives and glass photographic plates on a standard flatbed scanner.

If I ever get to the point where I can no longer heave boxes around at collectors' fairs I'm thinking media conversion might be a handy sideline.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My 8 year old grandaughter didn't know what a CD was !!!!
That's how fast it's all changing...

When I add that to the fact she didn't know who Kylie Minogue was it was a very sad day. :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back