Quote for Peugeot service.Unbelievable explanation. (1 Viewer)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Following on from wingmans thread on Peugeot servicing costs, I've taken our 2014 Peugeot Auto Sleeper coach built to the local Peugeot dealers for some warranty work as it's raining in behind the dash above the foot pedals.
Anyway I booked it in for it's first service on the 2nd March , and was gob smacked with the £418 quote, so I asked why it was so dear.

This is the reason that the young desk jockey gave me, because it's a motorhome it requires more oil.

My response it's an ordinary panel van with coach built body same amount of oil.

His response err, err, oh it's the same as an ambulance and there's more work needed on the service.
Anyway I gave up with this and booked it in to keep my warranty, I know that I can go to a vat registered garage and as long as they use Peugeot parts and oil warranty will still be covered, but I don't want any future problems if warranty work is required.

John.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Following on from wingmans thread on Peugeot servicing costs, I've taken our 2014 Peugeot Auto Sleeper coach built to the local Peugeot dealers for some warranty work as it's raining in behind the dash above the foot pedals.
Anyway I booked it in for it's first service on the 2nd March , and was gob smacked with the £418 quote, so I asked why it was so dear.

This is the reason that the young desk jockey gave me, because it's a motorhome it requires more oil.

My response it's an ordinary panel van with coach built body same amount of oil.

His response err, err, oh it's the same as an ambulance and there's more work needed on the service.
Anyway I gave up with this and booked it in to keep my warranty, I know that I can go to a vat registered garage and as long as they use Peugeot parts and oil warranty will still be covered, but I don't want any future problems if warranty work is required.

John.
That is just EXTORTIONATE ... please do NOT give them your business!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
That is truly extortionate. I paid around £300 for the last service, and that included something being repaired. Can't remember what it was now though.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
First think id do would be get in touch with their aftersales or service manager and tell him what you were told. Ask if they record the calls and ask him to explain why its so expensive.
Then ring the next nearest agent to get a price off them. I wouldn't give them my business, if the kid didn't have anything sensible to say he should have sed nowt!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

John.

My local Fiat dealer just said I needed a oil and filter change at the first service. I would look for another dealer.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
My local Fiat dealer just said I needed a oil and filter change at the first service. I would look for another dealer.

And please write to the owner/chairman or whoever is at the top and tell him what wad said to you and that you will not recommended his garage..also might be an idea to email /write to Peugeot themselves....i paid a great deal less than that for a major service and mot....Roy

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Then ring the next nearest agent to get a price off them. I wouldn't give them my business, if the kid didn't have anything sensible to say he should have sed nowt!

Just been on Peugeot Crewe website and they are quoting £493.66p dearer still.
I am going to shop around and get a quote from an independent garage only problem I can see if there are any ecu updates.
John.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I've had over 20 vehicles in the last 25 years and have NEVER let them touch my vehicles unless it was warranty work. I always supplied receipts for the services and was never refused warranty issues. My local reliable garage who CAN repair vehicles rather than replace parts has always looked after my Motor homes servicing. My last service was a full lube and filter changes along with total brake strip and alko greasing. Cost including vat was £225. Over £60 was the liquid gold.
Dealer loyalty means nothing so think hard before getting ripped off as a loyal customer.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:)

John.
You say your van is 2014, first service due at 28,000m or 2 years (2 years only applies to UK converted Motorhomes).
I will probably take mine in for a service when it is a bit over 2 years old (out of warranty) at my local independent about £110, they charge £20 +vat for fully synthetic oil for a 2.3 X250.

Fiat dealers around here charge about £250 for a low mileage service, not everything is dearer down south.:)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
:)
You say your van is 2014, first service due at 28,000m or 2 years (2 years only applies to UK converted Motorhomes).
I will probably take mine in for a service when it is a bit over 2 years old (out of warranty) at my local independent about £110, they charge £20 +vat for fully synthetic oil for a 2.3 X250.

Fiat dealers around here charge about £250 for a low mileage service, not everything is dearer down south.:)
Lenny are you sure?

My Fiat based German converted motorhome has a 2 year / 28,000 mile service period. And it only has a 2 year warranty, whereas the OP's UK converted Fiat has a 3 year warranty with the additional year provided by insurance I understand.

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Lenny are you sure?

My Fiat based German converted motorhome has a 2 year / 28,000 mile service period. And it only has a 2 year warranty, whereas the OP's UK converted Fiat has a 3 year warranty with the additional year provided by insurance I understand.

Not Fiat but Peugeot 2.2 130bhp.

John.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Have heard that Peugeot servicing is expensive but that does sound extremely excessive - we had to get our Ford recategorised on their system as the first quote for its first service was like yours so think they have a category that is "Motorhomes - customer must be loaded so charge top whack!" :eek: Had to point out that it should cost no more than a Transit van to service & less checks to do as hab area not their concern. As posted on other thread this years Interim Service will be £150, £45 for brake fluid replacement (every 2 years) but not had major service yet as mileage too low.

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Mines due for its first service next month. Can anyone recommend a decent garage in Blackburn?

Cheers Baz

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Thats excessive I paid £480 inc vat for Fiat x250 service,hab check and MOT this was Brownhills, they also fitted drive shaft seal under warranty.

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Mines due for its first service next month. Can anyone recommend a decent garage in Blackburn?

Cheers Baz
Sorry can't think of a single decent garage in Blackburn I would trust to service my motorhome, my previous motorhome
was serviced by Plox Motors at Tarleton, a family run business I would recommened.

Ray

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

Cheers Baz
Don't go to Stuart Longtons in Chorley, they said they had done an oil and filter/air filter on mine and they hadn't. It was FOC but it pissed me off.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny are you sure?

yes that's right 3 years on a UK conversion, 2 on our Hymers as the converter is outside the UK as the chassis was supplied to Germany.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I am paying approx £150 for an early oil change with FIAT oil and a filter at the local FIAT agents able to take a MH. I would have done it myself if I had a drive way, but have no choice but to get a garage to do it. My FIAT x290 manual has dire warnings about not using FIAT oil I also read this oil was developed especially to a high lubrication standard for the x290 to keep MPH high! Anyway I am staying with FIAT oil because if anything happens and they dip the oil it had better be FIAT oil.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I am paying approx £150 for an early oil change with FIAT oil and a filter at the local FIAT agents able to take a MH. I would have done it myself if I had a drive way, but have no choice but to get a garage to do it. My FIAT x290 manual has dire warnings about not using FIAT oil I also read this oil was developed especially to a high lubrication standard for the x290 to keep MPH high! Anyway I am staying with FIAT oil because if anything happens and they dip the oil it had better be FIAT oil.

There is no such thing as "Fiat oil". Fiat, Peugeot, Citroen make vehicles, they do not make oil, oil filters, air filters etc. These items are all bought in from outside suppliers. The new metal canister fuel filter as used on X290s is not yet available from factors so we bought some in direct from Fiat, horribly expensive thing but at least it doesn't leak like the plastic bodied UFI unit previously used. Anyway these super duper "Fiat" fuel filters are made in China!

D.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Some interesting Thoughts on here. Mine is the X250 (2007 reg). So I am assuming that by now all the "service" parts will be available from My local Factor/Retailer?. As I prefer to do as much of my own servicing as I can. We`ve only had it since June and had a full service before delivery. ( and a 6th gear "fix" under warranty!, cannot Fault Fuller`s so far, but a long way to go for just an oil change anyway!).

Pete

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The first major service on my 2013 X250 was a shade over £400 but this did include changing the brake fluid. A service to just change the oil and filter and kick the tyres is about £150, both these at a main dealer, where it is currently sitting having the air bag ECU replaced under warranty.

So in my view the price in the OP is about right. The work could be done cheaper elsewhere but while still under warranty I'm sticking with the main dealer. But the warranty runs out this June so after that I may look elsewhere. :)

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I've booked our van
in for it's first service with a vat registered independant garage that have a very good reputation and they have quoted me £120 using original parts.

I've also cancelled our 1st service with Peugeot today and was asked why, I told them that £440 was far to expensive, I also told them how much Ford and Mercedes were charging. I also told them the statements given to me that motorhomes take more oil and it was the same as servicing an ambulance were rubbish. They said that they were sorry to loose the business BUT they(Peugeot) do a service which they will do cheaper than the lowest I get quoted for, this beggars belief and shows that they are chancers and charge way over the odds.

John.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've booked our van
in for it's first service with a vat registered independant garage that have a very good reputation and they have quoted me £120 using original parts.

I've also cancelled our 1st service with Peugeot today and was asked why, I told them that £440 was far to expensive, I also told them how much Ford and Mercedes were charging. I also told them the statements given to me that motorhomes take more oil and it was the same as servicing an ambulance were rubbish. They said that they were sorry to loose the business BUT they(Peugeot) do a service which they will do cheaper than the lowest I get quoted for, this beggars belief and shows that they are chancers and charge way over the odds.

John.
Good luck, you are braver than me, that is very cheap for a full service or is it just oil and filter?

But will the independant do the sort of recall work which is only done when the vehicle comes in for a service and will Fiat pay them for it? Mine also got a software update. But does it matter if it still works? :) I'm not being negative, just working out if independents can do everything.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Surely recall work is exactly as it says and most agent garages should be able to do the work that is being paid for by the manufacturers... And doesn't need to be done at same time as service..does it.??? I find independent garages to be as good if not better than agencies and most certainly cheaper..have had all my cars serviced through independants for all work ,inc warranty repairs never had any problems ..maybe I have just been lucky..

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
SWMBO`s Lease car come with full service, so no problem there. But the service costs are outrageous at most main agents. AND mostly carried out by the junior technicians, One hopes they are properly supervised!!.

Some years ago, My wife`s B-F took her brand new Nissan for service. On the way home the "stop" warning came on, and before she could safely stop, it seized!!. the trail of oil on the road gave the game away the "JT" had failed to properly tighten the Drain!!.

New Engine!! Hire car for 3 weeks, Not amused!! even though the Hire was a Merc.!!.

I still prefer to do my own service work, where I can!!. But it is getting beyond a joke with new vehicles.

Pete

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I've booked our van

John.
Hi john , see I'm too late now, but this is a garage that I think is very fair, in Fenton.
Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back