Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
leeds
Funster No
MH
x230 low profile
Exp
new
Hello there everybody peeps! Got mechanical stress, bought 97 autocruise starblazer on a 2.4d boxer, reversed onto steep drive, nose uphill, approx 14 quids worth of fuel on top of emergency tank, so hardly empty and it won't start, flattened the battery actually tryin. Used to have this grief on me trannie but facing down hill. Question is, anyone know which end of tank the fuel uptake dipper is and will I have to bleed it? Thanks in ( hopefull) advance. Jon.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi, I'm sure you'll get more helpful replies than this, but here goes:
Was the low fuel warning light on when you switched the ignition on?
If it wasn't, then the problem doesn't sound like the fuel level being too low to flow through to the business end, in which case, something electrical possibly?
Any chance someone can pull your van up and off the drive, then you can either try to jump or push start it?
Sorry can't suggest anything else.
Gary

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Can't help you with your problem but don't try to push start it. Only try to start it with a battery or you might end up with more problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Can't help you with your problem but don't try to push start it. Only try to start it with a battery or you might end up with more problems.
I agree. It is quite difficult to bump-start a diesel engine.

I agree with Gary in that I don't think it is a fuel level problem. Your drive cannot be steeper than some roads you will drive on. I am not familiar with the Boxer but :-
Do you have an immobilizer fitted ?

Brian

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Try this link. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=47853

Nothing specific to Peugeot on searching Google but in addition to this link to Honest John there are similar problems flagged up on the VW forums suggesting air leaks on the fuel line but I'm not convinced that yours should suddenly have a problem with the fuel filter.
Hope this helps.
Brian

Upvote 0

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'd say it is a fuel problem, how long has it been sat on the drive? Once you get it going park it nose down so the fuel isn't being dragged away from the engine by gravity.

Upvote 0

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hello there everybody peeps! Got mechanical stress, bought 97 autocruise starblazer on a 2.4d boxer, reversed onto steep drive, nose uphill, approx 14 quids worth of fuel on top of emergency tank, so hardly empty and it won't start, flattened the battery actually tryin. Used to have this grief on me trannie but facing down hill. Question is, anyone know which end of tank the fuel uptake dipper is and will I have to bleed it? Thanks in ( hopefull) advance. Jon.

You reversed it onto a steep drive but the nose is UPHILL ? surely the nose is down hill ?

Or is your drive downhill towards the house ?

Even if the fuel is down one end of the tank the fuel filter and pump will still be full of fuel along with the fuel lines from the tank upwards ?

So if it wont start how can it be down to fuel starvation ?

I know some vehicles have a safety feature which cuts power if the vehicle goes past a certain pitch. For instance if a vehicle were to roll in a crash the fuel would be stopped for obvious safety reasons. But that is a wee bit extreme but maybe just maybe your drive is ultra steep and thats what is happening ?

Upvote 0

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I had a problem with our sprinter last year at Donington parked nose up (with low fuel but far from empty) for about 15 min would not start, tracked it down to that stupid little valve on top of the fuel filter that CDIs have ( it wasn't leaking but it was letting in air so the fuel was running back to the tank) we managed to bleed her up & got in to the paddock, I did away with the later type filter & fitted a 310d type bypassing the valve & having the fuel rail return straight back to the tank.
So make sure there are no air leaks

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Correct me if I'm wrong, but ,I have a hazy memory of a mechanic recovery fella telling me the Immoblizer is on the fuel pump, just before he gave me a tow start, which was successful. The vehicle suffered NO ongoing problems because of it.

I have an 02 Ducatto 1.9tdi

Upvote 0

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Any news on this?

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
I know some vehicles have a safety feature which cuts power if the vehicle goes past a certain pitch. For instance if a vehicle were to roll in a crash the fuel would be stopped for obvious safety reasons. But that is a wee bit extreme but maybe just maybe your drive is ultra steep and thats what is happening ?

That is where my money would be.

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
I had a problem with our sprinter last year at Donington parked nose up (with low fuel but far from empty) for about 15 min would not start, tracked it down to that stupid little valve on top of the fuel filter that CDIs have ( it wasn't leaking but it was letting in air so the fuel was running back to the tank) we managed to bleed her up & got in to the paddock, I did away with the later type filter & fitted a 310d type bypassing the valve & having the fuel rail return straight back to the tank.
So make sure there are no air leaks

But is it not meant to get air. No air getting in then the fuel stops. Bit like holding your finger over a straw in water, lift out and let go to release the water.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but ,I have a hazy memory of a mechanic recovery fella telling me the Immoblizer is on the fuel pump, just before he gave me a tow start, which was successful. The vehicle suffered NO ongoing problems because of it.

I have an 02 Ducatto 1.9tdi
I had a 55plate Boxer at work that was bump started. It blew a main fuse under the cab floor and for the next three years it was complete and utter nightmare. Went into limp mode for no reason at all, the driver hated it. No known reason, I've dragged many oil burners into life before but that bloody thing didn't like it at all.

Upvote 0

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
But is it not meant to get air. No air getting in then the fuel stops. Bit like holding your finger over a straw in water, lift out and let go to release the water.
No air should never get in the filter. Because that will then get into the fuel pump/fuel rail, thats why older pump systems had to be bled at different places to ensure no air was present.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I had a 55plate Boxer at work that was bump started. It blew a main fuse under the cab floor and for the next three years it was complete and utter nightmare. Went into limp mode for no reason at all, the driver hated it. No known reason, I've dragged many oil burners into life before but that bloody thing didn't like it at all.

I can only reiterate, no problems at all, in fact looking back on it, we have been tow started twice, once in Scotland and once in Wool.
Wether your 55 is different from my 02???? I don't know, I can only go on my own experience.

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
No air should never get in the filter. Because that will then get into the fuel pump/fuel rail, thats why older pump systems had to be bled at different places to ensure no air was present.

Oops. I read it as fuel filler (Cap):oops: Think the seal must be worn on my cap as i keep getting water in my filter.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the older ducato and boxer are known to have immobiliser issues. a good auto electrician can bypass the immobiliser
as i recall @eddievanbitz demonstrated how easy it was for a test in mmm

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back