Importing question please ...V55/5 or V55/4? (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Hi

I am would appreciate help from anyone who has self imported a new van from the continent....
been reading lots of threads and still not sure which of the above forms I should complete for the DVLA! I would really like to get it right first time if poss.

We are collecting our new (from stock) Hymer from Campirama in Belgium in a few weeks and will have a CoC and a certificate of newness. My gut tells me the right form is V55/4 along with a V267 (declaring a new vehicle), but then I am reading several people saying that this will be returned by DVLA as incorrect, and I should complete a V55/5 as the vehicle will have been firstly registered in Belgium even though it is a new one (albeit one Campiram already had in the showroom).

Any help appreciated....

Also, if anyone could let me have the words they used that were acceptable to the VCA from the MOT garage for inserting an overlay speedo, adapting the existing lights for RHD I would be very grateful.

Cant wait to get the van now...
cheers

cheers

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You just need to order import pack from DVLA it contains everything you require

It's not new if pre registered. The plate will be issued from that time. Ask them for build date.
Why I say that is they dont have to register showroom vans. Unless a year old. Hope you are getting it vat free as you will have to pay the vat here if it has not covered 6000 miles. Let's be clear it is not new...

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi

Also, if anyone could let me have the words they used that were acceptable to the VCA from the MOT garage for inserting an overlay speedo, adapting the existing lights for RHD I would be very grateful.
upload_2016-1-9_10-2-36.png

Make sure you pay the VAT ASAP it takes 4-5 days for HMRC & DVLA computers to sync., and include your Nova ref with your DVLA application.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Hi

I am would appreciate help from anyone who has self imported a new van from the continent....
been reading lots of threads and still not sure which of the above forms I should complete for the DVLA! I would really like to get it right first time if poss.

We are collecting our new (from stock) Hymer from Campirama in Belgium in a few weeks and will have a CoC and a certificate of newness. My gut tells me the right form is V55/4 along with a V267 (declaring a new vehicle), but then I am reading several people saying that this will be returned by DVLA as incorrect, and I should complete a V55/5 as the vehicle will have been firstly registered in Belgium even though it is a new one (albeit one Campiram already had in the showroom).

Any help appreciated....

Cant wait to get the van now...
cheers

cheers

If you contact these people with the make and model of the base vehicle they will supply an overlay that looks exactly like the original. You just remove the instrument cluster, take off the Perspex screen pull off the speed needle, swop the discs over and reverse the process, much easier than you might think, or ou could get your garage to do it for you.

As far as the headlights are concerned, if it is an A Class there will be a lever which you move over to change from Lhd to rhd. It can be done from inside the bonnet but I find it easier to remove the headlight unit, again easy but why not ask the dealer to do it for you prior to picking it up.
Lockswoodsinternational.co.uk

Mike

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We used V55/4 when we imported new from Germany, last summer. We had no problems at all with DVLA.

OP
OP
Roseandpeter
Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks all for your advice..

I have already sent for and received the importing pack from DVLA, but my question was posed as I did not feel confident in which one of the two forms I need to complete, as on reading all the forums there seems to be conflicting experiences from people who have self imported....Judgemental has plenty of experience and says that although not a previously owned vehicle it should be registered as a used vehicle on V55/5 (as presumably it will have been registered by the dealer in Belgium) so I will go with that advice- thank you. Vehicle paid for excluding VAT, which simplifies things.

Thanks very much Lennyhb for the words for VCA - much appreciated. Lockwoods have been very helpful - not so much Camparima who I have asked a couple of times to send me a photo of the dash to ensure I get the correct dial. They are proving very difficult to get any sort of response from by email or phone. Can't even get them to send me their bank details so I can pay them the balance for the vehicle! Hope their aftersales service is better...

Reactions: f6c

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Wait until you get the van, I asked them to send a photo of the dash , they took one of a van in the showroom, it had a different dash to mine. Lockwood will post dial by special delivery so you get it next day .
If you want Emmanual's mobile number PM me.

OP
OP
Roseandpeter
Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Lenny, I have his business card from when we were there a couple of months ago with his number on it.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
i expect to be going through the same thing shortly ,just been told that delivery is looking more like february than the original January.
Im having the dealer carry out fitting some extras,so the rough plan is to go out to Belgium by car to inspect the MH and firm up on a couple of extras and at the same time drop of bedding and some crockery etc then return by public transport to pick up the Motorhome.

Its an A class so by the sounds of it,the conversion is not too difficult , none the less its a bit stressy:)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Im sorry if this sounds harsh but if it's registered it is previously owned and not new...it's not rocket science whatever BS dealer tells you. It could well be nearly 2 years old. Ask for build date....

Is it an A class or T class. If a T (coachbuilt) you will have to buy new headlights as well. I hope you got a good deal on this van....

The details on wording are all in the VCA docs in import pack....Hence what I suggested

its not a photo of dash you need but of actual speedo with ignition on which show all warning lights

have fun:)

Eddie

Last edited:
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I don't know where you are in Shropshire, but we had Dave Newell provide the 'Garage evidence that the vehicle meets UK national requirements.' He is very good to deal with, understands motorhomes and, importantly, knows what is required by the process, which may not be the case with your local garage.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I don't know where you are in Shropshire, but we had Dave Newell provide the 'Garage evidence that the vehicle meets UK national requirements.' He is very good to deal with, understands motorhomes and, importantly, knows what is required by the process, which may not be the case with your local garage.

The wording is in VCA docs any mot station can do it...shop around locally

OP
OP
Roseandpeter
Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Hi again

It is an A Class and i think we did get a good deal. Certainly saved alot on the UK price....

Might try Dave Newell for our alarm. Has anyone used him to fit their alarm? Thought about Vanbitz but they are some distance from us.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
This 6-month rule for VAT has me a little confused. As I understand it, if vehicle is new either you pay VAT when you import into UK, or you reimburse the dealer at purchase. Just so long as the dealer is repaid. If the vehic
le is 6 months old and/or has more than 5 or 6k, no VAT is due in the UK on import.

What would happen if you bought a new vehicle without VAT, registered it to a French address, kept it out of UK for 6 months, then imported to the UK. Would you have to pay VAT in France, or if not would the dealer lose out.
Do you see what I'm wondering? Also, if the van is only 6 months old, and no VAT is due, does this mean it is priced less VAT at the dealer, or can you claim it back in the UK?

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
You have to pay the VAT, a dealer will not let the MH go unless the vat gets paid , you would need to be a vat registered business to be able to take the mh from the dealer without paying the vat .

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
This 6-month rule for VAT has me a little confused. As I understand it, if vehicle is new either you pay VAT when you import into UK, or you reimburse the dealer at purchase. Just so long as the dealer is repaid. If the vehic
le is 6 months old and/or has more than 5 or 6k, no VAT is due in the UK on import.

What would happen if you bought a new vehicle without VAT, registered it to a French address, kept it out of UK for 6 months, then imported to the UK. Would you have to pay VAT in France, or if not would the dealer lose out.
Do you see what I'm wondering? Also, if the van is only 6 months old, and no VAT is due, does this mean it is priced less VAT at the dealer, or can you claim it back in the UK?

You would then pay vat in France as this is the country of first registration if not you would pay it to the dealer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back