Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
At the new year we went down to Redcar with MCC. The van had been in for hab check the week before, when we arrived at Redcar the gas would not come through on cooker, fridge or fire. I found during hab test everthing was switched off, got the fridge going then the cooker, the fire lit but after about ten min whent out with a "BANG!!!!!!!"we left the fire for a while thinking air in the pipes, after about 30 min tried again and it lit, after another hour there was another loud "BANG!!!!!!!! we left the fire off. In the morning Knock at the door one of the members had been out with the dog and found the cowling off our van chimney. This had caused the "BANG!!!!!!!!!"Left it till we got home checked for damage and fire is working normally. SO WARNING CHECK THE COWLING ON YOUR VAN CHIMNEY AFTER HAB CHECK. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!
upload_2016-1-10_13-55-9.jpeg

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL !
We had exactly the same thing in Zahora ..
Turned the fire on one morning as normal
Woman wandered off to shower and I was getting breakfast started
All of a sudden, BANG !!!
Did the normal thing.. Ducked ( Gawd knows why but when ever I hear something go bang I duck ! )
All went silent
Several seconds later ( as I was relaxing ) another BANG but much quieter and on the roof !

Turned out there had been a backfire, and the cowl had not only blown off but had gone a few hundred feet.. then came straight back down again !

But like you, all was well and apart from shaking a whole load of crap off the inside of the fire ( thereby giving it a good clean ! ) there was no other issues at all

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Trying to work out WHY, the cowl (or lack of it) would affect the combustion (or lack there-off)?

So IF the loss of cowl had allowed the Flame to expire, the flame failure would shut the gas off. Demanding a (Manual?) re-ignition?.

I suggest that the Gas flame control valve MAY be the issue? allowing some gas to pass the closed valve with glowing residue/ hot flue providing ignition and the ensuing explosion?. A serious service may be required.?

BTW. A habitation check does not Automatically include a full service of Fridge and Heater, they are Usually Extras`.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
tick59

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Trying to work out WHY, the cowl (or lack of it) would affect the combustion (or lack there-off)?

So IF the loss of cowl had allowed the Flame to expire, the flame failure would shut the gas off. Demanding a (Manual?) re-ignition?.

I suggest that the Gas flame control valve MAY be the issue? allowing some gas to pass the closed valve with glowing residue/ hot flue providing ignition and the ensuing explosion?. A serious service may be required.?

BTW. A habitation check does not Automatically include a full service of Fridge and Heater, they are Usually Extras`.

Hab check included fridge,heater,cooker and gas check. The wind that day was terrible and we think with the cowling off we had a "Backdraft"causing the BANG. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!​
Pete

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
If the gas/air mix is not right the fire will not light but gas can accumulate inside. I have had this happen many times over 20 years in Caravans with Carver SB1800 and Truma S3002 heaters. Another cause could be the burner is not working correctly. It has also happened when the fire would not light, but later the spark went and the gas inside exploded.

I was parked a Tan Hill when the cowl was blown off another van when he was trying to light it with strong winds blowing outside. The cowl missed all the other vans and cars parked around.

I have has the bang experience but so far the cowl has stayed in place. I have my fire serviced annually.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Pete

Canna speak for anyone else, but I did not have a loss of cowl until AFTER the bang and the thing was blown several hundred feet in the air !
It was a nice calm day, nowt untoward or odd in any way
I subsequently retreaved the cowl and refitted it without issue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have my fire serviced annually.

They Definitely serviced the Heater?. I do ask this, because many I speak to ASSUME it to be part of the habitation check. BUT at least two dealers who do "Hab" check / "Services" have told me they check it works. BUT a full heater and or fridge service is CHARGED and listed as Extra, and requires (some) dismantling of the unit, and in many cases the Fridge for example must be removed to service properly.?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back