Cab Battery Charging (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Does EHU charge the cab battery as well as leisure batteries on a 2003 Hymer B544 Ducato based ?
I had thought it did and I`ve been giving it a weekly charge of 3/4 hours thinking that will keep both in good order.
However today (3/4 hour charge yesterday on EHU) I came to take the van out for a run an cab battery was very low. I connected the EHU for an hour and it started ok, took it for a run then connected a battery charger direct to battery for a few hours and it registered 12.6v on the panel.
I`ll check it again in the week but maybe a weekly charge on EHU isn`t enough, or perhaps the cab battery is on it`s way out ?
TIA

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Sounds like you need to visit Jim's shop and buy a battery master. Best thing I bought.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Plug in the EHU and then read the vehicle battery voltage, that should answer the question for you.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes it should, what model Elektroblock do you have? As Martin says check the voltage across the battery when EHU is connected it should rise, while charging should be approx 14.3v, once charged a should sit at 13.8v.

BeyondTheVan

Free Member
Dec 4, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Luton Van Conversion
Exp
Since July 2015
If not, you simply need to link your engine batery to your leisure battery with a voltage sensitive relay. This is the one I have:

Broken Link Removed

The bonus of this is it works both ways so the engine can charge the leisure batteries AND the battery charger or solar for your leisure batteries can charge your engine battery. Obviosuly it separates the batteries when neither are on charge.

Rich.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Yes it should, what model Elektroblock do you have? As Martin says check the voltage across the battery when EHU is connected it should rise, while charging should be approx 14.3v, once charged a should sit at 13.8v.

Elektroblock 99 - I`m fairly sure in the past the panel has shown a higher voltage on EHU so I think the battery is probably on it`s way out. I`ll monitor it this week. I think after the run and a couple of hours on direct charge it registered 12.6 on the panel so less than the 13.8 you suggest it should sit at.
If it drops more I`ll get a new battery but what do I ask for, is it a standard Ducato battery ?
Thanks for the advice

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The EBL99 in a Hymer definitely charges the starter battery when on hook-up (and/or when a LR1218 solar regulator is connected properly).
The starter charge is only a maintenance trickle charge and if the battery voltage is low, it may take some time to restore to normal. Also, the habitation batteries get priority, so if they are low, the starter battery will have to wait its turn.
If, after leaving the van hooked-up for a few days, the starter battery is not showing a better charge state, I would check its condition and possibly inspect the state of the 50 amp fuse holder in the engine bay. If this has become corroded, it could compromise the ability of the charging current to reach the starter battery. That problem would also affect the alternator charge to the hab. batteries when the engine is running.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Right, I`ll put it on charge for a few days, I had only been switching it on for a few hours per week, maybe not enough. The hab batteries seem fine.
Where abouts is the 50 amp fuse, in-line near the battery or in the fuse box near the front of engine bay ?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Right, I`ll put it on charge for a few days, I had only been switching it on for a few hours per week, maybe not enough. The hab batteries seem fine.
Where abouts is the 50 amp fuse, in-line near the battery or in the fuse box near the front of engine bay ?
Leave them on charge and allow your charging system to regulate as required. Mine are on charge 247 / 365 when not in use.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I thought I`d read somewhere not to do that ?
Well, I have done that all my working life in the services and for the past 4 years in our MH and works for me. Batteries should always be kept charged period.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I thought I`d read somewhere not to do that ?
Hi Figaro, :)

Your EBL99 is an intelligent 3/4 stage charger, and will only provide the level of charge that the batteries require, so once they have reached their full charge state, the EBL then provides a small float maintenance charge. BTW, the charge to the starter battery is only 2A max.
If you have been setting an alarm system when leaving the vehicle secured, that will over time (often just a couple of weeks without solar) deplete the charge of the starter battery, and 3-4 hours on EHU at a 2A charge, won't be enough for a full charge to be achieved. Try leaving the MH on EHU for 12-24hrs

If on the driveway, I don't leave ours on EHU constantly, but I do plug in a good few hours before departure, to top up the batteries (especially in winter when solar is minimal) and to cool down the fridge/freezer.

HTH,

Jock. :)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The 50amp fuse should be next to the starter battery (along with a 20 or 30 amp one for the fridge supply.
Although many people do, Schaudt do not recommend leaving the mains plugged in all the time. It will be fine for many days, but I would unplug and give the charger a rest every so often.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back