Dublin area site recommendations (1 Viewer)

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Hello, as it is wet in Eire at the mo, have any funsters used any sites around Dublin to start with that are open last week in Jan?
Need one for a couple o nights, then any tips of others in say 100 miles appreciated.
Just having an 8 day break but dont want to spend all day driving.
Cheers in advance.

Lookaround

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
http://www.motorhomecraic.com/forum/topic.php?t=4111&page=5
If you have a look at this thread on an Irish Forum there is a list of all sites that are open year round in Ireland which might be helpful. If you are wild camping come to Kinsale. Great little town in West Cork - great bars and restaurants. You can park easily on The Long Quay right in town. I've no shame plugging my home town!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

finyar

Free Member
Sep 30, 2014
Wexford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747
Exp
Since 2004
Hi there,
The only campsite in Dublin is the Camac valley as mentioned already.
If you are travelling down the south east there is a campsite in Wexford town called Ferrybank and it's also open all year round.
After that you will struggle without going down to West Cork or Kerry.

Regards
Raymond

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
http://www.motorhomecraic.com/forum/topic.php?t=4111&page=5
If you have a look at this thread on an Irish Forum there is a list of all sites that are open year round in Ireland which might be helpful. If you are wild camping come to Kinsale. Great little town in West Cork - great bars and restaurants. You can park easily on The Long Quay right in town. I've no shame plugging my home town!!

That sounds good, how long a drive is it from Dublin?
We arrive Dublin at 6 in morning, I think we will feel a little tired.
But my idea was to stay somewhere close to Dublin the first night, is there water or waste disposal? Look around , looks like we will be down to you at the end of Jan

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Camac website does not seem to be working, so off to Wexford first

Lookaround

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
Kinsale is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Dublin and about the same from Wexford. If you plan on Kinsale try to arrive at the weekend.

Lookaround

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
As you said the website for Camac Valley seems down at the moment but I'm sure it will be back soon and it would be a better option at that time of the morning than driving for a few hours

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
It's a few years back now but camac was the first site we went to after leaving the ferry. We were well pleased and it was just far enough .....we arrived early evening and just wanted to get to settled as it was first time away in the van.

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I will probably be tired arriving at 6 in the morning, but did think I would be a bit early to book into the site at Camac, could always park up and kip for a wee while at Dublin Port maybe, can that be done?
Is there room somewhere to park for say 4/5 hrs?

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
I will probably be tired arriving at 6 in the morning, but did think I would be a bit early to book into the site at Camac, could always park up and kip for a wee while at Dublin Port maybe, can that be done?
Is there room somewhere to park for say 4/5 hrs?
Hi Autobars...Welcome to Ireland!.....There would be no problem parking within Dublin port.
Kinsale is a lovely town down in Cork as was already mentioned, but, If you dont want to travel that far you should try Wicklow, just 40 mins south of Dublin. It's the Garden County of Ireland and has lots of lovely attractions, Glendalough and its vistor centre being well worth a days visit. Just north of Dublin you have Newgrange, It predates Stonehenge and the Pyramids of Eygpt....worth a days visit also.....whatever you do...stay warm and have fun!

Slainte!

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Irishrover, Looks like a couple o hours kip at Dublin if needed, down to Wexford, then further to Kinsale, then work way back up.
We have 8 nights.
I was beginning to to think that a spur of the moment decision was a mistake I was going to get a right ear holing from the missus, but getting better. She does not even know where we are going, when she sees a sign for Wales that in her mind will b our destination. She is just asking too many questions tho.
Such as..... Why are we setting off from home after work, you NEVER do that? Why will we be getting home in the dark, you NEVER do that?
Love it:)

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
I'm sure she'll love it!.....Just got back from Wexford ourselves today, we were down in Curraghchloe Beach ( They filmed " Saving Private Ryan " there, it was the opening Omaha Beach landing scene....Anyway, you'll enjoy your trip down the East Coast, Kinsale is a great place to be, even in a grey , wet January...have fun!

Lookaround

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
If you're going to head further west - you might like Wavecrest camping site in South Kerry. This is probably my favourite site. I'd be careful of the weather though as it's in a spectacular location right on the water so if the weather was bad you wouldn't see much and might be blown away! If the weather is clear it's well worth a visit. There is a nice pub about a mile away in the village of Caherdaniel, called the Blind Piper.

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I am looking at going as far from Dublin as Kinsale, over the eight nights, don't really want to spend much of a day and every day driving as I really need a rest, break, for reasons I won't go into
Stuart

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Curraghchloe Beach

Is that wild camping, or a site.

Stuart
Hi Stuart, It's a Beach with a large Carpark literally 100 yards off the beach ( They filmed " Saving Private Ryan " there, We wild camped there last night, just 5 mins drive from Wexford Town Centre. Here's a couple of pics from yesterday....not great as camera seems to be on its last legs....Meant to add, there wouldn't be many campsites open this time of year unfortunately, but wild camping is very safe here...
IMAG0025.JPG
IMAG0031.JPG
IMAG0027.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
That looks like we will be stopping there for at least one night.
Thank you

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Camac booked for our first day/night, as we arrive before 6am. Will hopefully park up at port for a few hrs kip as I think will be needed.
Will be going with two 13kg propane cylinders as looks like it may be cool.

Really looking forward to our first trip to Eire, even the missus has got it out of me where we are going after sly remarks, questions, we better not be going there comments, etc.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We spent all day Sunday in Dublin by taking the train from Portmarnock. There is a automatic ticket machine and I don't remember it being expensive.
We also stayed the night at the top end of the overflow car park -- FOC

upload_2016-1-15_21-56-43.png

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Really looking forward to our first trip to Eire, even the missus has got it out of me where we are going after sly remarks, questions, we better not be going there comments, etc.

There are some wonderful wild camping spots all over.
DSC00402.jpg

Just watch out for the very narrow roads! - we did make it through!

DSC00384.jpg

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Is it spelt different on a map as I don't seem to be able to find it.
Similar sounding place near Wexford.
Looked on Google Earth and found a couple o car parks.
Stuart

Parking at Dublin port early hrs in morn near impossible, has a few hours kip, in a parking bay near terminal, not good as I took two places, said pay and display but no rates on view so had a crap kip as was worried about clamping etc.
A truck stop was jam packed, height barriers at long stay car park.

I'm sure she'll love it!.....Just got back from Wexford ourselves today, we were down in Curraghchloe Beach ( They filmed " Saving Private Ryan " there, it was the opening Omaha Beach landing scene....Anyway, you'll enjoy your trip down the East Coast, Kinsale is a great place to be, even in a grey , wet January...have fun!
p

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Is it spelt different on a map as I don't seem to be able to find it.
Similar sounding place near Wexford.
Looked on Google Earth and found a couple o car parks.
Stuart

Parking at Dublin port early hrs in morn near impossible, has a few hours kip, in a parking bay near terminal, not good as I took two places, said pay and display but no rates on view so had a crap kip as was worried about clamping etc.
A truck stop was jam packed, height barriers at long stay car park.

p

Curracloe......its a car park yes, but right on the beach...many MH's use it for overnight stops...very safe

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
:( In Wexford tonight again, was due to stop two nights but now tonight as well as the wind is terrible. Like being on a Brittany Ferry in the bay of biscay on a wild crossing, and that is sat in MH

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
:( In Wexford tonight again, was due to stop two nights but now tonight as well as the wind is terrible. Like being on a Brittany Ferry in the bay of biscay on a wild crossing, and that is sat in MH
Im just an hour away from you in Wicklow and its not that bad??? In fact, was out and about in the MH today, rain yes but wind wasn't an issue. Are you headed to Kinsale?

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs
park on the quay at howth marina,foc, as long as you want. come out of dublin port turn rite and follow yer nose.

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Smudged, going to have a look, wife got really scared Tuesday night, the MH was well rocking and rolling, and it WAS the wind!

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Smudger, where is the best place at the quay, looked on gaggle but can only see some roads, no car park.
Would be ideal for friday

finyar

Free Member
Sep 30, 2014
Wexford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747
Exp
Since 2004
Best place in Howth is the middle pier. At the end of it, there is a semi circle which fits about 12 vans, if not there park anywhere opposite the RNLI ststion which is on the same pier.

I stay there regularily and there is never a problem

Raymond

OP
OP
Autowbars

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Raymond, will depend on wing, the missus got herself all worked up about this week, has been a bit hairy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back