RV Tyres Driving or Steering!! Why (1 Viewer)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Shopping around for a spare Rim (Ford) Accuride 1C34-1015-AA
Also a tyre to put on it
the question is do I fit a driving tyre or a steering tyre and why the choice apart from the obvious what's the difference :Doh:maybe Brian The Tyre on our sister site has the answer so I will post this there as well
Geo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
and to complicate things even more.......do you carry two spares:Eeek:

one steering and one driving.

maybe some thing to do with sidewall flexing perfomance on the steering type!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i,m sure geo knows the answer. construction n tread pattern. as a spare i think its best to have a steering tyre. can be used front or rear if you have a rear fitment only cant use it on front. you could go for an all position tyre. michelin used to list 4 pattern codes z=all position f=front axle d=drive axle t=trailer axle they also used to give away tehnical data books .that confuses most people even more. if you ever get chance to look at a tec book its full of information but where to start explaining i cant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Shopping around for a spare Rim (Ford) Accuride 1C34-1015-AA
Also a tyre to put on it
the question is do I fit a driving tyre or a steering tyre and why the choice apart from the obvious what's the difference :Doh:maybe Brian The Tyre on our sister site has the answer so I will post this there as well
Geo
After very helpfull consultations with Brian on our sister RV site,
Thanks again for your research Brian
The chosen steer pattern KHUMO tyres arrived this pm great looking tyres and well upto the job, struggling with finding a Rim with the right numbers and offset Any one out there who can help
Jim if you can check your Ford spare and compare the numbers on that if you would:thumb:
Geo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
After very helpfull consultations with Brian on our sister RV site,
Thanks again for your research Brian
The chosen steer pattern KHUMO tyres arrived this pm great looking tyres and well upto the job, struggling with finding a Rim with the right numbers and offset Any one out there who can help
Jim if you can check your Ford spare and compare the numbers on that if you would:thumb:
Geo

Hi Geo

Don't know if this helps ... there are some spec sheets.

I found mine on the Link Removedthen Linda imported it from the States

Jim

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks Jim
I already searched their site and none of the numbers results in a match, the only one close is is one digit up from my 29736 as that seems to be their part number system but that particular number is missing
I have e-mailed them for help but no reply as yet, it seems there are 4 different offsets for the Ford I have found one at an RV dealers but the numbers don't match
I used one off my Coachmen last year and that had a shallower dish so my steel trim wouldn't fit and with a 245 tyre on a shallower dished rim might bring the rear wheels too close together, It looks like i will be running with a spare tyre but no rim for the time being,that being better than nothing, but I would prefer to have the right Rim if I'm going to the trouble of sourcing one:Sad:
here are all the numbers found so far
Accuride 1C34-1015-AA
111102 2L
I cant see a J Number to get the width, I guess its at least a J 7.5 or bigger
Geo
Note re check of whats available suggest its only a J6.75

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Geo, just checked, odd they don't list your part number .. as you say, one digit up :Doh:

lets hope they get back to you .. or carry tyre levers .. having a spare tyre is a lot better than none at all ..

jim

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi geo .if you end up with a shallower dish the other way round it is put it on front then front on rear . its a job but keeps you mobile.

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
hi geo .if you end up with a shallower dish the other way round it is put it on front then front on rear . its a job but keeps you mobile.

Yes that would work Allen, just need another 10 ton jack:Doh:

Hi Geo, just checked, odd they don't list your part number .. as you say, one digit up :Doh:

lets hope they get back to you .. or carry tyre levers .. having a spare tyre is a lot better than none at all ..

jim
I know you set yourself up with a mobile tyre changing kit Jim
Have you had to try it out in anger yet:Sad:
Geo

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
geo. come on change the front first then the rear only one jack to be used.

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
:winky: Or just press me hydraulic legs down and change em both:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use my trailer legs as bead breaker .always carry levers mushrooms patches . chewing gum sticks,tubes ,never know when you,l need them . i also have 2 spares for truck n 2 for trailer. still been caught out in the wilds. tried oko but makes it difficult to repair if oko fails.

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Morocs a lot simpler as youve seen, they just wrap a few sacks and a bit of wire round the rim and off they go:ROFLMAO:but not just any old sacks i noticed they used "Continental" sacks:Doh:

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Update
After deep and meaningful discussions with Accuride USA it appears the numbers on the wheels are only there to confuse you, even the J measurement that I was heavily relying on means next to nothing to wheel manufacturers, they use an imperial offset measurement
However thanks to Millar Wane from Accuride I seem to have identified the Rim required, and its not available outside the US or Canada, Brill!!!:Eeek:
The cost of buying and shipping is very prohibitive circa £3-£400:cry: and that to me represents an awful lot of call outs to a tyre swapping man,
So to plan B
At the Americana i came across Freedom RV who had an A board up advertising surplus RV wheels and tyres:thumb: Been it touch with Andy and he has got a Ford rim of almost exact requirement except its rated at 1000 lbs greater than what I need
Brand new shipped up to me, try before you buy ie send it back if it wont do at a 1/4 of the cost so well pleased with that
For anyone else looking he does have other surplus wheels and tyres for other chassis
Thanks for all your help and input
Geo

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
my mittzy never came with a spare. they asked 190quid for one. i used a merc wheel slight different dish and had it machined to fit over the hub n new holes drilled ,lucky it as flat holes not chamffered. another option for you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back