Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

Anyone experienced water ingress on what appears to be a "Typical" "Seitz" Type window?

Just been out to the M-H to find water on the surface below the window, closer examination would indicate that it is coming between the seal and the actual window? probably around the top. The latching was fully closed, so it`s not "self inflicted"!.

The seal appears to be intact and soft, so I wondered if anyone has experienced this and what solved the issue.

BTW. who might supply seals, if that IS the issue. The `van is a Rapido 2007 Reg;

Pete

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have had what seems similar issue on my 2008 Rapido in heavy rain. I was sure the window was properly fitted and sealed on the outside where it meets the van body and also sure the the rubber seal was not damaged and nicely pliable. I discovered that the windows was only wet at the bottom front corner so the water was not entering higher up and tracking down, although I appreciate you think it's possibly coming in at the top and that's what I first thought.

I used a hose to test and discovered that this only happened when the motorhome was parked on uneven ground, nose down, as it were. The water was running down the outside of the window into the drainage channel at the bottom of the frame so fast that instead of draining through the small cut outs in the frame, it was running over the frame and also upwards into the channel where the rubber seal is fitted and somehow going onside through there. This does not happen on even ground when parked level because the water can exit through both drainage channels at once instead of just the one.

I have since ensured I park level or now slightly nose up and haven't had this happen again. I have considered enlarging the drainage holes in the frame or perhaps making some extra ones and also removing the seal and refitting in after gunning in some non setting mastic, but due to parking more carefully haven't needed to do either.

Incidentally, I have no problem with water ingress when driving at speed in heavy rain, no water is forced in, and when parked on my drive, fairly level in the recent torrential rain with driving winds there has been problem.

Before you buy new seals I suggest you try a hose test with levelling ramps at the rear and then at the front to see if you can identify where the water is coming in. The other options might be to completely remove the window and refit it with new mastic but you might try the above first. Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
A friend has a 2009 Rapido that had a similiar problem.

The sealing along the top edge of the frame is not very thick and had failed.

When they originally fitted the window it has at least a half inch clearance.

They do not even out the gaps equally around the window.. So you will have approx 3/4" overlap at the lower edge but only a 1/4 at the top.

We had to take the window out and reseal it. (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we had the habitation service 2 years ago random damp spots were found around the van. It turned out that the seals in places between the roof/walls had started to fail a bit through flexing. The main problem is that the capping strips are no longer available and removing them would have ruined them. The MCEA engineer who does our habitation service scraped the old sealant out, replaced it using a powered gun and then, after that had cured, oversealed the lot. We had a similar problem on one or two windows, just a the top, so oversealed them as well rather than remove/replace the windows. The damp check showed no problems last January and that will hopefully be the same on Wednesday when it has its next service.

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I`ve been back out to the M-H after the latest "Shower". and removed the Cassette. It appears that the water is wicking between the Frame and Bodywork at the top edge. As a temporary measure I have run a bead of clear sealant along the top and sides outside leaving the bottom clear to allow any residual water to escape. When (IF??) the weather bucks up I will remove the frame completely and bed it back in on some Non setting mastic which is used in the local Caravan industry ;););););). While it is off I am now going to see if I can make the cassette work properly!!. And then I can get back to fitting my new Barbecue Connection in place of the French one!!.

Pete

N

Nobody

Deleted User
Hi

Anyone experienced water ingress on what appears to be a "Typical" "Seitz" Type window?

Just been out to the M-H to find water on the surface below the window, closer examination would indicate that it is coming between the seal and the actual window? probably around the top. The latching was fully closed, so it`s not "self inflicted"!.

The seal appears to be intact and soft, so I wondered if anyone has experienced this and what solved the issue.

BTW. who might supply seals, if that IS the issue. The `van is a Rapido 2007 Reg;

Pete
. Hi Pete, I had a small leak myself on the back window seal it was coming in at the top though the seal & running down collecting at the bottom it looked like the seal wasn't sitting right against the window so I pushed the seal in with the window shut with a screwdriver & that solved the problem it's been ok since then.

OP
OP
PeteH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Been out and checked after overnight rain, dry so far, so we may have a result. Cassette (blind) back in and working properly. Just wait now for some decent weather to do a Proper job!

Thanks to all who posted

Pete

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
There are two types of MH, those that leak, and those that are going to leak.
I stuck mine under it's cover last week and very glad I did, as we have had more heavy rain than I remember for a long time. If it was at all likely to have leaked the it would have done that week. It lashed and lashed and more still. At least the cover was a new one and shouldnt leak but the problems are the dam across the top where the two bits of roof join it lies there 1/4 inch deep across the whole width.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back