Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Hi everyone,
Happy new year to all funsters, now for the serious (probably boring bit),I know it's been asked before but I would welcome any/all opinions on adding 2 stroke oil to deisel fuel,ratio 500ml. per tankfull on a 2005 mercedes sprinter I have been adding it from July 2015 to October 2015 with no apparent problems my vehicle has been parked up since October.15 and I now intend making a journey to Algarve In the next few weeks without using 2stroke,but am concerned about opinions Icame across in a recent thread . many thanks all.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hi everyone,
Happy new year to all funsters, now for the serious (probably boring bit),I know it's been asked before but I would welcome any/all opinions on adding 2 stroke oil to deisel fuel,ratio 500ml. per tankfull on a 2005 mercedes sprinter I have been adding it from July 2015 to October 2015 with no apparent problems my vehicle has been parked up since October.15 and I now intend making a journey to Algarve In the next few weeks without using 2stroke,but am concerned about opinions Icame across in a recent thread . many thanks all.
Worth a peruse..........

Broken Link Removed

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Hey, ho, forget 2 stroke oil in the diesel tank.
Many years ago it was suggested sticking a gallon of petrol into a full tank of diesel. Apparently this was supposed to help clean all the carbon build up out of the engine, injectors and exhaust valves
I must admit the only time I treid it was when I inabvertantly put a couple of gallons of petrol in my diesel transit, I then topped up with diesel and to be gonest was surprised it started first time and 'seemed' to run a little quieter, but I've not tried it since.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Lots written about it. Basically avoid it unless you have an older motor that is not common rail.

@Tootles - even after working in the business for years (albeit from a slightly different perspective but still heavily into fuel quality) I had not seen that study. Pretty definitive (y)
(y)(y)

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Everyone considering it should read that link in @Tootles post.

Here it is again. You should look at EN590 which is what you get in Tesco/ASDA/Shell/BP etc

Broken Link Removed

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
I new a chap that puts it in heating oil /kerosene to lube the pump on his vehicles.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I know a few people who run their vans on heating oil all the time and have done for years !
Apparently a mix of about 25% pump diesel and 75 % heating oil is what they use

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
hi Jaws im showing my ignorance here is heating oil and red diesel two separate things,ie can the ministry not detect heating oil?
the reason i ask is i have oil fired central heating:whistle:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Both heating oil and agricultural diesel have a chemical marker in which is impossible to remove and also is easy to test in the field with a simple "go/no go" test. The technology behind the marker is very interesting; my previous employers had major contracts with numerous governments to manage it. Use it at your peril........

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Very true but if you are not the person who bought the vehicle new somewhat difficult to prove who used the stuff in days gone by

Andddd....

I pulled in to a garage in Poland, queued up behind a few cars and another mh to use the one diesel pump on the forecourt
Filled up and it was only when I pulled out the nozzle I found it was red !!

Mind you, I asked for a receipt for the stuff and made a note of exactly where the garage was just in case !..

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
adding non approved additives like 2 stroke to diesel is a good way to waste money and with common rail diesels will damage the pump and injectors

the same way running red diesel through kitty litter to remove the dye is a bad idea as if not very well filtered will block up filters, and pumps etc. also that old trick does not remove he chemical marker. using red diesel is a mugs game, as the vehicle will likely be seized by the revenue and customs. or a huge fine

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
now I had a guy that worked for me who was putting red disal in one of my vans
but when he got back at the end of the two weeks away here was no visual trace
I know he was doing it but could not catch him.
I had samples taken from the tank I have a friend who used to work for the road testing unit gave him some samples nothing.
this guy was filing with read the first week and normal the second week
running the tank right down then half filling running it down again then filling up another Tim after that.
how I fund out was the fuel filter died red
So I decided to go to Glasgow for a sit visit and dipped the tank what did I find
cherry red sacked him on the spot drained the tank on site and just filed up with normal diesel and changed filter
The van was dipped a month after when I was in it at a check point in Perth no trace.
BILL

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I use chip fat, cooking oil, Mc'D shakes, engine oil and makes the same difference as two stroke.............. SOD all. This has been covered time after time here.o_O

OP
OP
gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Hi everyone,
Many thanks for the responses and advice,I think I will just stick to using premium grade fuel.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
now I had a guy that worked for me who was putting red disal in one of my vans
but when he got back at the end of the two weeks away here was no visual trace
I know he was doing it but could not catch him.
I had samples taken from the tank I have a friend who used to work for the road testing unit gave him some samples nothing.
this guy was filing with read the first week and normal the second week
running the tank right down then half filling running it down again then filling up another Tim after that.
how I fund out was the fuel filter died red
So I decided to go to Glasgow for a sit visit and dipped the tank what did I find
cherry red sacked him on the spot drained the tank on site and just filed up with normal diesel and changed filter
The van was dipped a month after when I was in it at a check point in Perth no trace.
BILL
Having been involved in the testing side I would say that you were somewhat lucky. Dipping only finds current use of red diesel. As you say, the dye is rather residual and also the HMRC don't normally check for the marker, which can be detected down to PPB

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back