C1 licence over 70 years old...... again. (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Sorry, all. I know this has been done to death and I did do a search but couldn't find a clear consensus on the two questions I have. So, one more time!

1. How often does this licence have to be renewed after the age of 70?
2. How often does a medical have to be taken?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Yes?

EDIT
Good questions, it's never a problem to re-post them if you're not sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
acropolis22
Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Sorry, clicked tab and didn't realise it was same as hitting post thread......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: CWH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Yeh, every 3 years!!. I wont post my ongoing Rant about Bureaucratic and Governmental Institutional AGEISM .

Pete.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I gave mine up 2 years ago as here in Spain because I take medication for the heart I had to have a medical each year for C1 and cost was 180 euro's each visit, so by the time I would get ( fingers crossed ) to 70 I would have paid............... 2700 euros for a bit of plastic!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We were talking to a German couple who told me that there was no requirement to have a medical at/after 70 and the licence does not expire. Don't know if this is a fact but I had no cause to doubt them.

Another Danish couple had a German registered van. They said they belonged to a German club and the van was registered through the club, so they didn't have to register it in Denmark. They could use it anywhere in the EU on the insurance through the club.

Another German a few years ago told us that there was no such thing as full time insurance or trip limits, his insurance had no limitations on use anywhere in the EU.

Just shows how tightly we are regulated compared to other EU countries!

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
@John & Joan the problem here in Spain is motoring it's a money pit and the Spanish people have no choice. The roads are very good and well maintained from the money they rip off the Spanish folk.
Here in Spain they make the rules up as they go along......................

Deleted User
Yeh, every 3 years!!. I wont post my ongoing Rant about Bureaucratic and Governmental Institutional AGEISM .

Pete.

Why ageism? Driving a LGV requires a medical at 65 and every year from then on.....for good reason.
C1 only requires every 3 years, a 7.5 tonne vehicle in the hands of someone with potential health problems is a killing machine.

I do realise that younger people also have health problems, class C and above have medicals every 5 years from 45, health problems are more likely the older you are....simple statistics.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Why ageism? Driving a LGV requires a medical at 65 and every year from then on.....for good reason.
C1 only requires every 3 years, a 7.5 tonne vehicle in the hands of someone with potential health problems is a killing machine.

I do realise that younger people also have health problems, class C and above have medicals every 5 years from 45, health problems are more likely the older you are....simple statistics.

I think that some medical conditions require you to have regular medicals in order to keep your driving license no matter how old you are.

If a medical condition means you are more at risk of causing an accident than Jo Average then I don't see a problem with having medicals. I'd like to see regular assessments for every licence holder for hazard awareness at least - pass your test at 17 and you can drive until you are over 100 - crazy...... My Grandmother passed her test in the 1930s and held her license until she died at 90. She hadn't driven since the early 1960s (except the tractor and that wasn't driven on the road) but insisted she needed her license so she could drive if she had to. She would have been lethal!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

You are right about the 7500/8250 kg gtw being a killing machine but removing C1+E still leaves B+E 3500/11000kg gtw , not much logic imo.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We were talking to a German couple who told me that there was no requirement to have a medical at/after 70 and the licence does not expire. Don't know if this is a fact but I had no cause to doubt them.

Another Danish couple had a German registered van. They said they belonged to a German club and the van was registered through the club, so they didn't have to register it in Denmark. They could use it anywhere in the EU on the insurance through the club.

Another German a few years ago told us that there was no such thing as full time insurance or trip limits, his insurance had no limitations on use anywhere in the EU.

Just shows how tightly we are regulated compared to other EU countries!

The germans obviously have the old type of German licence which has no expiry & lasts until you die. The Norwegian old type lasts until age 100.
Neither of these are now issued when passing test as they have to conform to EU rules. German one is now 15 years expiry I believe-
If the Germans or Norwegians ,or a Brit with a paper one takes up residence in another EU state then they would have to exchange them immediately; AS opposed to having a plastic one with an expiry date , when they wouldn't until it is due to expire.

Yes , all the other countries in the EU have vehicle insurance policies that cover for anywhere in the EU . That includes the UK.
All my vehicle insurance policies have EU wide cover, no limitations Once you have insurance then you can use it full-time. Here in Spain the certificate comes with a "green card" section on the bottom & this tells anyone that the vehicle has the minimum EU 3rd party cover required in any other state- If I go abroad then all I do is ask for a complete "green card" which is an A4 sheet, filled in same as certificate & stamped by agent, that then ensures that I have the full comp. cover in any other EU state.This is free. When I renew each year I just go in & ask for it as it saves mucking about.

It is basically only the UK that demands an additional payment for a green card & imposes a time limit. This is because the UK restricts the cover to the UK only.

Dodgy Link Removed

You could of course look at sourcing your insurance from abroad ?
There is nothing to stop you having insurance from say Spain , as long as it meets the requirements of the EU regs; & is valid in the UK. I know of 2 Spanish companies that insure UK registered vehicles , one of whom supplies full info to thedvla, for the MID , on Tuesdays & Fridays of any UK vehicle that they have insured.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/insurance/validity/index_en.htm

If I ever moved back to the UK, or became a non resident ( allowing me to drive other EU country vehicles ) then I'd source my insurance here.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The roads are very good and well maintained from the money they rip off the Spanish folk.

I think you mean BRITISH contribution to the EU "fantasy" budget, that has NEVER been properly Audited.!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Been here before, and as far as I am concerned, it`s Just another "TAX" on getting old. Or alternatively, Like speed camera`s at the bottom of hills or on long straight stretches of Dual road. "TAXES".

Also it is NOT just Motoring. the over 70`s are a target for every type of "Rip off". As far as Government, Insurer's, Business and Bureaucracy in General, are concerned we have Targets painted on our backs.

SH8tT!!!. I DID bloody do the rant again. I promised myself after the last time I would not. Where`s the Bloody Beer. I need a drink!!. I think there might be a couple of litres of Spanish Red in the M-H!!.

Pete

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
All the fuss over an extra 360 kilos??????????? Why I need to sell it as it will not be feasible at 3500 no payload at all.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
You are right about the 7500/8250 kg gtw being a killing machine but removing C1+E still leaves B+E 3500/11000kg gtw , not much logic imo.

Check your licence. IF it is like mine I STILL can fill a Minibus, with Kids. Tow up to 12t, All Up. All without any change nor a medical. BUT not my own family, in My own Motor-Home, at that gross.

Pete

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Check your licence. IF it is like mine I STILL can fill a Minibus, with Kids. Tow up to 12t, All Up. All without any change nor a medical. BUT not my own family, in My own Motor-Home, at that gross.

Pete

Yes that is the case, makes no sense to revoke one and leave a heavier one.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
thats the law makers in this country, still dont know what the right hands doing:imoutahere:

Deleted User

Pete

It definitely makes no sense but on the other hand I do not know of any sub 3500 k vehicles with a gross train weight of 12000k.

Not saying they don't exist but I don't know of one.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It definitely makes no sense but on the other hand I do not know of any sub 3500 k vehicles with a gross train weight of 12000k.

Not saying they don't exist but I don't know of one.

You are quite right, in that you cannot actually TOW more that the MAM of you vehicle, so 3500, would actually be 7t. But I quoted it as an example of the current ridiculousness, and prejudicial ageism.

Pete.

Deleted User
You are quite right, in that you cannot actually TOW more that the MAM of you vehicle, so 3500, would actually be 7t. But I quoted it as an example of the current ridiculousness, and prejudicial ageism.

Pete.

Liked apart from the ageism bit, just common sense to me requiring check ups the older you get in order to drive heavy vehicles. I have not renewed my C+ E this year which I had held for 45 years, a bit of a wrench but there has to be a line somewhere.......90 year old's driving 44t trucks with no checks??

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Vw Alan would explain it better, but to get that 12 ton train weight you buy say a 7.5 ton canter truck get it down plated to 3.5 ton . This means it's pay load is next to nothing but keeps its original train weight. That is the rough idea , but like I say vw Alan is more up on it then me.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Liked apart from the ageism bit,

This is the society that thinks its OK to push the retirement age to 70+. BUT still wants to make money out of being AGEIST.??. IF I am fit to work. Then I am fit to drive!. Over 70 EVERYTHING cost`s more, Insurance, Travel, You name it! we are seen as licence to print Money, and have Targets on our backs!

My opinion. Not everyone's. and I ain`t changing!.

Pete

Deleted User
Vw Alan would explain it better, but to get that 12 ton train weight you buy say a 7.5 ton canter truck get it down plated to 3.5 ton . This means it's pay load is next to nothing but keeps its original train weight. That is the rough idea , but like I say vw Alan is more up on it then me.

Don't really like the idea but if the lawmakers are stupid enough to leave a loophole like this then someone will take advantage of it.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well - the Master Plan is to kill off elderly people before they retire, so they don't live on to require healthcare, carehomes or other 'Public'ly funded benefits.

Had you not realised that?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I think its proven on a daily basis that sub 3500kg vehicles can kill quite effectively, even two wheel ones.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I think its proven on a daily basis that sub 3500kg vehicles can kill quite effectively, even two wheel ones.

Whilst I agree wholeheartedly the bigger the vehicle the bigger the clamour in the press. Just remember the Glasgow bin lorry, and on the basis of that perhaps all drivers should have regular medical certification.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back