Are you all aware LEZ consultation coming out soon (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi everyone

Our vehicle like many older motorhomes would have been subject to LEZ from October 2010.

In February the Mayor London suspended LEZ but only for vehicles affected from October 2010.

There is a consultation coming out in September so please look out for it on this link and please take part. Such legislation can always be changed as newer vehicles get older and even if yours isnt affect now, there is always a possibility that it could be in the future.

Mayor announces proposed suspension of LEZ for vehicles affected from October 2010 | Transport for London

Many thanks for taking time to read this

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Thanks for posting that, our vehicle was due in the October 2010 measure, but not sure if were are safe from it yet, as we are 4,200kg

We will have to wait and see.

Regards Pat

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Thanks for posting that, our vehicle was due in the October 2010 measure, but not sure if were are safe from it yet, as we are 4,200kg

We will have to wait and see.

Regards Pat

The official advice being given is NOT to go ahead with changes until decisions have been made after the consultation process is ended.

Hope thats helpful

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Thanks for that,

I went to the LEZ site and put my index number in and it says compliant until 2012.

Pat

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
phew!

I just checked the site and is says vans from 2.5 tons, from 2012, just looked at our docs and it says 2.425..... so I hope I can say Phew!!! But I do think we should ALL send the mayor an email, explaining why MHs MUST be excluded !!! I will be doing this:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
good news for all you Londoners.......
makes no difference to me as i will need a lobotomy before i drive in London again:Eeek:

i wont even drive in leeds city center.

I HATE CITY DRIVING!!!!!:Angry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
good news for all you Londoners.......
makes no difference to me as i will need a lobotomy before i drive in London again:Eeek:

i wont even drive in leeds city center.

I HATE CITY DRIVING!!!!!:Angry:

I don't disagree - though I doubt whether even London is as bad as Leeds with that one way system :Smile:

Trouble is the LEZ covers all the GLA area so you have to go through it to get to many camp sites (including the two CC ones).

As said previously, lobbying Boris constructively could help. Things to point out things might be low mileage of motorhomes and that many were purchased well before the LEZ was thought of, so the retrospective effect of the legislation is unfair.

In cae anyone wants to base a letter on it, here is the text of an e-mail I sent last June. Didn't do any good at the time but a similar approach might work this time.
Dear Mr Johnson,

I assume that, over time, you will be examining many of the measures put in place by your predecessor to assess whether or not they stand up against your policies. When you consider the LEZ perhaps you would be good enough to take this message into account.

First of all, I am not a London resident (I live in Middlesbrough) but have an interest in the LEZ as my wife and I are the owners of a motorhome and are members of a regiment of the English Civil War Society which uses a lorry to transport bulky and heavy equipment essential to re-enactment displays. The motorhome is actually compliant with the requirements of the LEZ but the lorry is not. From my (perhaps one could say biased) view it would be ideal if all vehicles which are used only for leisure purposes were to be exempt from the LEZ requirements. Because of their usage they travel far lower distances each year than similar vehicles used for commercial purposes and, therefore, produce far less emissions. However, I can understand the counter arguments which support the current position regarding applying the LEZ requirements.

Where I do think there is an injustice, though, is that there is no exemption for people who live within the zone and purchased (what are now) non-compliant leisure vehicles well before the LEZ was mooted. I can see the validity of an argument which says that anyone purchasing such a vehicle after the LEZ started should be charged but it seems to me unjust that people who bought their vehicles beforehand should be faced with a measure which, in practical terms, is retrospective. These are people who committed no wrong when they purchased their vehicles but are now faced with high charges if they merely wish to drive from and to their homes on holiday.

I urge that, even if you feel unable to make all "leisure use only" vehicles exempt, you find the compassion to exempt the relatively low number of people affected by the retrospective measure.

Regards,
Graham Hadfield

Graham

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Clearer

Sorry but must clarify, I read that even if the phase 3 of LEZ comes in on 2012, it will only effect vans from 2.5 tons. Ours is 2.425 tons; I also entered our Index number into the site and it said 2010 (when it was meant to come in) 'compliant' - I take this to mean, that it will not be subject to phase 3, should it ever be brought in, 2012 or anytime after that (unless critieria is changed) .

Also, if the van was registered in or after 2006 (can't remember the month though) , it will be compliant for phase 3 - after 2012

Typical of gov Website, not very clear re 2012 as they could not be bothered to update, the index checker dates !! :Eeek:

It also made it very clear that the public will be consulted and that the Mayor seeks to avoid the need to bring it in at all but this means that we all need to email him, even if it does not effect us, as we should support our fellow Funsters!! We need to bombard him !!! Email only takes a few mins guys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I will let you all know as soon as I see the consultation has been published.

But even if you NEVER come to London

The LEZ especially if extended in future could affect anyone travelling North to South and vice versa

Remember London may be the FIRST to have an LEZ but the way the legislation is written there could be Low emission zone in cities near you in the future.

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
I will let you all know as soon as I see the consultation has been published.

But even if you NEVER come to London

The LEZ especially if extended in future could affect anyone travelling North to South and vice versa

Remember London may be the FIRST to have an LEZ but the way the legislation is written there could be Low emission zone in cities near you in the future.

Agree with the above totally :thumb:

No point being a NIMBY cos, it WILL be in your back yard soon, if you sit back and do nothing & if you think you can avoid the M25 forever (cos you can bet your life it will encompass it), then good luck!:Eeek:

I'm alright Jack attitude, will shoot you in the foot sooner or later :Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry but must clarify, I read that even if the phase 3 of LEZ comes in on 2012, it will only effect vans from 2.5 tons. Ours is 2.425 tons; I also entered our Index number into the site and it said 2010 (when it was meant to come in) 'compliant' - I take this to mean, that it will not be subject to phase 3, should it ever be brought in, 2012 or anytime after that (unless critieria is changed) .
The table Here shows when different categories of vehicles become subject to the LEZ requirements and what the standards are. Your MH (like ours) is in the Large Van category.

As things stand it is currently not subject to the LEZ but will become so on 4 October 2010. On that date it must meet the Euro III standard (which your specific compliance check has confirmed it does). So long as it continues to meet that standard it will always be compliant (as long as the standards are not subsequently tightened up).

Also, if the van was registered in or after 2006 (can't remember the month though) , it will be compliant for phase 3 - after 2012.

Typical of gov Website, not very clear re 2012 as they could not be bothered to update, the index checker dates !! :Eeek:
The 3 January 2012 date only applies to Heavier lorries, Lighter lorries and Buses & coaches as shown in the other rows of the table. That is why the results of your specific compliance check only showed the 2008 & 2010 dates - 2012 is irrelevant to your category of vehicle.

It also made it very clear that the public will be consulted and that the Mayor seeks to avoid the need to bring it in at all but this means that we all need to email him, even if it does not effect us, as we should support our fellow Funsters!! We need to bombard him !!! Email only takes a few mins guys.

Absolutely :Smile:

Graham

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Although I would not normally want to take the motorhome into London. The zone begins only about 9 miles from here. Right near Cranham Caravans. The thing is say the M25 is blocked and I want to take a detour to get south I may want to cut across that way.

Also it is just the beginning and we dont know where it will end. I think so far they have probably got rid of the worse polluters in their scheme, and it will be a good time to reassess the situation, not only for us motorhomers but for the many companies that own vans and have to travel to London and are struggling in the economic situation.

Also my husband works just inside the M25 not quite in the zone yet, but occasionally he would take the motorhome with him, and I would go up on the train to meet him, so that we can get away quicker, if the travelling is west or north up the M1. It saves us about 2 hours of time in the rush hour.

Sorry for rambling on but my brain takes a while to get going in the morning.

Pat

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
ok so lobby

Although I would not normally want to take the motorhome into London. The zone begins only about 9 miles from here. Right near Cranham Caravans. The thing is say the M25 is blocked and I want to take a detour to get south I may want to cut across that way.

Also it is just the beginning and we dont know where it will end. I think so far they have probably got rid of the worse polluters in their scheme, and it will be a good time to reassess the situation, not only for us motorhomers but for the many companies that own vans and have to travel to London and are struggling in the economic situation.

Also my husband works just inside the M25 not quite in the zone yet, but occasionally he would take the motorhome with him, and I would go up on the train to meet him, so that we can get away quicker, if the travelling is west or north up the M1. It saves us about 2 hours of time in the rush hour.

Sorry for rambling on but my brain takes a while to get going in the morning.

Pat

Ok so get emailing and writing to the Mayjor and you MP :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back