LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Any recommendations of a good map of France (one the other half might get the right way up)

Regards
Andy

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Look no further than Michelin maps.. :thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Michelin maps are good, but difficult to distinguish at a glance between toll and free autoroutes.

AA atlas uses different colours for each, and only just over a fiver from Amazon delivered: [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Road-Atlas-France-2012/dp/0749571365/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1340370478&sr=8-4[/ame]

I have both Michelin and AA atlas - but find the AA easier to handle (Michelin a bit unweildy). Do however cross-reference to Michelin, if ever need to clarify fine details. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bluemooner

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Michelin maps are good, but difficult to distinguish at a glance between toll and free autoroutes.

AA atlas uses different colours for each, and only just over a fiver from Amazon delivered: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0749571365/?tag=mhf04-21

I have both Michelin and AA atlas - but find the AA easier to handle (Michelin a bit unweildy). Do however cross-reference to Michelin, if ever need to clarify fine details. :thumb:

Do any off the maps have top and bottom printed on them so she might at least get the map the correct way up :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

AA atlas uses different colours for each, and only just over a fiver from Amazon delivered: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0749571365/?tag=mhf04-21

I thought the OP was asking about a MAP .. (not an Atlas.). do the AA do a map of France ?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I thought the OP was asking about a MAP .. (not an Atlas.). do the AA do a map of France ?

The AA atlas is full of - err - maps... covering the whole country! :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, yes the 'whole-of-France' map is in the front of the AA atlas, and I use it extensively for advance route planning - easily see how to avoid, or minimise toll autoroutes.

Also have various individual Michelin maps, including whole-of-France 2012 edition. But IMHO not as useful as AA atlas for route planning, and bargain at little more than a fiver.

TomTom comes in handy too. :thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Michelin maps are available in all the motorway stops in France and very reasonably priced, we have the all Europe one on the kitchen wall at home with all our routes on and most of the France area ones in the mh.

Reactions: LAM

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
We use one of these:

We bought it in a French supermarket. It's laminated and so far our 2011 version has lasted well despite being folded the wrong way, sat on, drinks spilt on it etc.

I find it brilliant for identifying toll roads. If there is a down-side it is that the northern part of the country is on one side and the south is on the reverse.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had various maps and IMV you simply cannot beat the Big Easy Read France road atlas:

We have the spiral bound version which makes it easier to keep the map 'flat' when looking at it.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Just bought a Michelin Atlas Routier et Touristique, spiral bound, laminated and has a QR code on each page which links to a Web page that has all the atractions in that area. Being a truck atlas it also has low bridges marked, which has saved us from going down the wrong road several times in the past.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We've had various maps and IMV you simply cannot beat the Big Easy Read France road atlas:

Amazon product ASIN 0749575220
We have the spiral bound version which makes it easier to keep the map 'flat' when looking at it.
Great map book and so easy to read..big yes ,bur size does matter when navigating to out of the way places.

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Yes another vote for the AA Big Easy Read atlas, have just purchased to replace our Michelin 2008 edition. Comparing the 2 the AA one is much easier to read and the road types all seem a lot clearer and sharper to look at. Also bought the Collins France road map for overall planning purposes, the map is all on one side with place names on reverse. This also looks good but as I don't have Michelin equivalent cannot comment on which is best. Can now get on with planning the big French trip in April :):)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Yes another vote for the AA Big Easy Read atlas, have just purchased to replace our Michelin 2008 edition. Comparing the 2 the AA one is much easier to read and the road types all seem a lot clearer and sharper to look at. Also bought the Collins France road map for overall planning purposes, the map is all on one side with place names on reverse. This also looks good but as I don't have Michelin equivalent cannot comment on which is best. Can now get on with planning the big French trip in April :):)
Yes use these AA atlas aswell ! I am better at reading in France than the UK ?!

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
We like to use the Michelin Atlas Routier France 1/200 00, but not the spiral bound version as the pages tended to tear along the binding holes. Our preference is for the version marked "Se replie complètement" which means it can be folded back on itself. We have just moved on from our old 2012 copy in order to pick up on the new road project completions.

With regard to road numbering - France went through a period of moving responsibility for road maintenance from the National highways agency to the Département. In so doing the road number changed. e.g. the N147 from Limoges to Poitier becomes the D347 just north of that town. Though not in this case the number then often changes again when crossing over into the jurisdiction of another département

J

Edit : - I think this is the one I mean, but haven't yet seen it in the shops.

http://travel.michelin.co.uk/france-2016---a4-multiflex-atlas-scale-1200-000-1590-p.asp

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back