Solar Panel Controller Instructions (2 Viewers)

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I have just fitted n 80 W solar panel with a controller as shown in the picture below.

The controller has four LEDs, three on the left hand side and a single LED on the right hand side.

The three left hand side LEDs act as follows (I believe): the left hand LED shows green when the solar panel is connected, the middle LED deals with the battery condition and the right hand LED deal with any load directly taken from the controller. In my set-up there are no loads connected directly to the controller, all loads are taken from the batteries (2 x 100 Ahour)

The single LED on the right hand side of the controller appears to be an off LED as it is near a switch.

Unfortunately I have lost the instructions so I do not know exactly what the LEDs are telling me. :Sad:

At present the left hand LED (of the three) is solid green, the middle LED is flashing green (batteries are fully charged!) and the third LED is off (no load!)

The LED on the right hand side is solid red.

Can anyone please confirm the meaning of the LEDs and, if possible. let me know where I can get a copy of the instructions? ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yep same as mine BUT i cant find the instructions either:Doh:

mine is showing exactly the same as yours except the right hand led is turned off via the switch underneath it.

i think the r/h of the 3 leds is only for if you have a direct load on the controller...ie..lights

the center flashs at different speeds depending on the amount of charge needed....solid is fully charged slow flash is normal charge and rapid is overcharge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
I have just fitted n 80 W solar panel with a controller as shown in the picture below.

The controller has four LEDs, three on the left hand side and a single LED on the right hand side.

The three left hand side LEDs act as follows (I believe): the left hand LED shows green when the solar panel is connected, the middle LED deals with the battery condition and the right hand LED deal with any load directly taken from the controller. In my set-up there are no loads connected directly to the controller, all loads are taken from the batteries (2 x 100 Ahour)

The single LED on the right hand side of the controller appears to be an off LED as it is near a switch.

Unfortunately I have lost the instructions so I do not know exactly what the LEDs are telling me. :Sad:

At present the left hand LED (of the three) is solid green, the middle LED is flashing green (batteries are fully charged!) and the third LED is off (no load!)

The LED on the right hand side is solid red.

Can anyone please confirm the meaning of the LEDs and, if possible. let me know where I can get a copy of the instructions? ::bigsmile:
google the name of your solar setup and you'll be able to download the manual in pdf:thumb:

OP
OP
O

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
google the name of your solar setup and you'll be able to download the manual in pdf:thumb:

I found the Chinese company and they said that there was a manual in pdf but the link did not work. I was able to get a data sheet but the description of the operation of the LEDs was very sparse.

OP
OP
O

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
yep same as mine BUT i cant find the instructions either:Doh:

mine is showing exactly the same as yours except the right hand led is turned off via the switch underneath it.

i think the r/h of the 3 leds is only for if you have a direct load on the controller...ie..lights

the center flashs at different speeds depending on the amount of charge needed....solid is fully charged slow flash is normal charge and rapid is overcharge.

How did you get out to the MH and back using your small invalid scooter? You must have a very wide access to the MH.

Just joking. Thanks again for your usual helpful assistance.

OP
OP
O

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
i'll have a look in the vans documents folder in the van....

I am just wondering if I got very clever and put mine away in the van.

Just my luck it's started raining so it will have wait

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
right oldun,
still cant find the book but i have worked it out.....

L/H green LED (solar panel charging state)

lit = charging ok
not lit = no charge.....(now its dark its gone out:thumb:)

Center LED (battery charge state)

flashing = full charge in battery

steady green = normal battery voltage

steady yellow = low battery voltage

steady red = flat battery

R/H LED (direct load only and not 100% sure of functions but from what i can see....)

steady red = correct load

flashing red = borderline load/overload

fast flashing red = overload

push button switch and other red led = direct connection on/off switch (doesnt appear to do anything when i put a voltmeter across the teminals....maybe needs a resistive load ie a bulb)

as, like me , you dont use the direct connect function i wouldnt bother taking any notice of it but it could be useful if the controller is in a dark cupboard and a bulb is attached......use the switch to turn the bulb on/off.
because i only used a voltmeter i dont know if it works at night or only when the panel is charging.

anyway...there you have it,:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
is Link Removed the one

regards

different controller but the same fuctions.....:thumb:

that explains the r/h led in detail......i wasnt too sure.

and another dimension to the l/h led...flashing green when in overvoltage....checked mine yesterday and the panel side of the controller was showing 21v with a steady green led....so at what volts is overvoltage?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The button on the far right switches the load on and off. These regulators were designed for automatic lighting so there are a number of programs to determine how long the lights would be on and how long off, from memory mode 6 is permanently on or off depending on the switch. the third light from the left will light red when load is switched on. there are a number of different current ratings available.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The button on the far right switches the load on and off. These regulators were designed for automatic lighting so there are a number of programs to determine how long the lights would be on and how long off, from memory mode 6 is permanently on or off depending on the switch. the third light from the left will light red when load is switched on. there are a number of different current ratings available.

ok Roger....get the dust off the grey matter....

how to access mode 6 or any other mode for that matter...

figured out why i cant find the instuctions.......I NEVER HAD ANY!!!!
not included in box:cry:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I'll have to try to find the instructions, must have them someplace, probably in the motorhome, will see when I go up there tomorrow, but from memory press the furthest right button (under the clear window)for longer than 30sec I think it then allows you to cycle through nimbers 1 -9, you need number 6 which is either on or of. I have my inverter connected to this to run the TV, also the digi box so all gets switched off with the TV, one switch

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'll have to try to find the instructions, must have them someplace, probably in the motorhome, will see when I go up there tomorrow, but from memory press the furthest right button (under the clear window)for longer than 30sec I think it then allows you to cycle through nimbers 1 -9, you need number 6 which is either on or of. I have my inverter connected to this to run the TV, also the digi box so all gets switched off with the TV, one switch

cheers roger,

i must have had an instruction book as i remember reading about the different numbers in the window under the r/h switch but i never did check it out. i'll have a look now.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
O

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks to you all, as usual for the helpful comments, it seems that I know now what the lights mean (well the relevant 2 on the LHS).

What is it about instruction leaflets, no matter how much you intend to keep them safe they always get lost. Perhaps they are female.

OP
OP
O

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Hi there

Just found my instruction leaflet underneath a pile of tool that I have been replacing in their homes, tools I used when installing the solar panel.

They are attached below.

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
That's the same info posted earlier this ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
O

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
That's the same info posted earlier this ::bigsmile:

I agree but the information you refer to is for a different model to the one I have so it id not certain that the same info will apply to different models. :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

no mention of this in the instructions roger but i do remember seeing it somewhere:Doh:

thanks for that oldun:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
sorry guys not too good the last few days, hope to get to the van tomorrow, am sure I have the full instructions there, or failing that at least some idea of the website where they can be found.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry guys not too good the last few days, hope to get to the van tomorrow, am sure I have the full instructions there, or failing that at least some idea of the website where they can be found.

hope you feel better soon roger.....no rush, its working ok as is.:thumb:

OP
OP
O

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Do all versions have these hidden "numbers" or are they only with special versions of the controllers?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
they all have them, these controllers were designed for controlling emergency lighting so for instance
1= light on for 1 hour after lighting up time and on again at 1 hour before dawn.
2= light on for 2hours......................etc
the controller knows when it gets dark because the charger stops working. however amongst the various programs is number 6 I think in which pressing the program button then just acts as an on/off switch at any time of the day or night. the manufacturer has a good website in English (they are Chinese made) and the full documentation is there if you care to look. Sorry but until I am well enough to get to the beast have no idea of the web address.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back