Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Di Hi Campers,

I don't want to put a Dome Satellite dish on top of our bus, but do now want to have a portable dish capable of receiving UK Tv programs when we revisit Spain and Portugal next month. Is there anybody out there who can recommend a portable dish and system which doesn't costalota please.?

Mike
SunsetsUnlimited. :coolest:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
what I did when I first started out with satellite..

use a domestic dish, mount on a tripod with 12v digital receiver.. shop wisely and you can have a set up for under £100 ..

dish can also be clamped to a rear ladder or a fence post..

or buy the Maxview portable set up with tripod for about £200 Broken Link Removed

mounted on a post on a Spanish site

B0005661.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sunsets Unlimited.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the view, I had a look at the maxview that,s more me, its all in the one bag.!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nobody can sell you one specifically and guaranteed to receive UK channels in Spain and Portugal because you will be outside the Astra 2 footprint.

You might pick up something if you're lucky. If you do then great, if you don't you can't complain.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
You are very unlikely to get many channels that you want in Spain and Portugal no matter what you take. You can get Astra 2 but you will not get BBC or ITV programmes, If you have a sky card you will get some of the Sky programmes and you can get what is available on Astra 1 with a freeway box

OP
OP
Sunsets Unlimited.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Nick,, does that make your view optimistic or pessimistic.?? But thanks for the advise.!

Mike
SunsetsUnlimited. (y) :coolest:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nick,, does that make your view optimistic or pessimistic.?? But thanks for the advise.!

Mike
SunsetsUnlimited. (y) :coolest:

Umm. Realistic perhaps?

You will hear lots of people say that they have picked up a signal in the places you plan to go but you won't find any dealer or retailer that will tell you that you definitely will.

OP
OP
Sunsets Unlimited.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
You are very unlikely to get many channels that you want in Spain and Portugal no matter what you take. You can get Astra 2 but you will not get BBC or ITV programmes, If you have a sky card you will get some of the Sky programmes and you can get what is available on Astra 1 with a freeway box

Just nice on the odd occasion to see anything in Good Old,,,, English. :notworthy2: :clap2:

Thanks

Mike
SunsetsUnlimited :coolest:

OP
OP
Sunsets Unlimited.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Umm. Realistic perhaps?

You will hear lots of people say that they have picked up a signal in the places you plan to go but you won't find any dealer or retailer that will tell you that you definitely will.

That's me toooo.... The Realist.! If it happens,, all well and Good.!

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
The only way to receive TV in Spain is to carry an appropriate sized dish. While we were there in 2015 I spotted an Irishman seting up his dish which he carried on the back of his motorhome. It was over 2 metres in diameter and he had excellent reception.

OP
OP
Sunsets Unlimited.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
The only way to receive TV in Spain is to carry an appropriate sized dish. While we were there in 2015 I spotted an Irishman seting up his dish which he carried on the back of his motorhome. It was over 2 metres in diameter and he had excellent reception.

Sounds to me as though that 2mtr Dish must have been one of those "Statallite Dishes" that "Dell Boy" used to sell.!! Don't think I will be carrying one of those around.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's me toooo.... The Realist.! If it happens,, all well and Good.!

If you're anywhere near Northamptonshire I've got a 66cm free standing Maxview dish in the garage.

OP
OP
Sunsets Unlimited.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
If you're anywhere near Northamptonshire I've got a 66cm free standing Maxview dish in the garage.

Nice thought Nick, I will bear that in mind thanks. Got loads to do as we be on the Santander ferry 3rd of next month.

Thanks.

Mike.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My experience with a maxview dish mounted on the roof but not in a dome (which would reduce the signal anyway) is you won't get any normal channels such as BBC1 anywhere in Spain or Portugal. You do hear reports of folk getting them on the north coast but I suspect this is not reliable and depends on atmospheric conditions, I couldn't get anything the couple of times I tried.

You can BBC World News which will let you keep up to date with the major headlines but it isn't exactly gripping.

As a generalisation you won't get the main UK channels much below about half way down France but it isn't a straight line across the country.

The only way to get these channels in Spain is with a massive dish, which is practical for a house only.

Of course there are internet solutions but these require unlimited data and a very good connection - which you won't find easily if at all.

OP
OP
Sunsets Unlimited.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Don't forget that if you can't get English telly but can pick up local channels in Spain/Portugal and they were originally British/American and dubbed you can often go into the language menu on your tv and select English.

Now that is interesting. :coolest: Thanks.

Mike
SunsetsUnlimited.

OP
OP
Sunsets Unlimited.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
I have this one sitting about but it's only 54cm, you could pick it up if you are passing between Seville and Huelva.View attachment 89950

If we that way will drop you an email if that ok with you.

Thanks

Mike

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Hi Di Hi Campers,

I don't want to put a Dome Satellite dish on top of our bus, but do now want to have a portable dish capable of receiving UK Tv programs when we revisit Spain and Portugal next month. Is there anybody out there who can recommend a portable dish and system which doesn't costalota please.?

Mike
More to the point is there anybody NOT visiting Spain & Portugal next month.....sounds like the ferries might be busy (y)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We have an 85cm Oyster dish (self seeking) mounted on the roof. We lost all UK signals after Cap Bretton, on crossing the Pyrenees, on the way down to Spain. We had everything as normal up to that point.

We tune our TV to the local DVB signals and use the language button on the remote to get the native language. ie. English if it is available. Some are in German. However there are many programs not available in English that are of interest, so we are slowly improving our Spanish at the same time watching them. We also have a stock of films to watch.

At the moment we give the dish a spin about once a fortnight to keep it free. Last year we didn't use it for months and the arm stuck.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now

Not sure what a "freeway" box is - probably you meant freesat.

When my brother lived in southern Spain he had an enormous dish on his house roof and he did indeed get, through Sky, everything he had received when living in Yorkshire, and he got local (to Yorkshire) TV at that.. That dish was 2 or 3 metres across.

I realise that since that time the 'foot print' of the satellite may have been changed.

Dave

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I had a 1.2 mtr dish it went out of range in Portugal and Spain two years ago so sold it. some camps now have plug in so no need to carry one of a larger size. a pal had a large dish in segments but it had to be assembled and weighed ton. Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back