LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
This may have been posted some where else on "Fun"......... If it has.. "Sorry"..

.Motorcycling in France

New laws have come into force for motorcyclists and scooter riders regarding the requirement to carry a fluorescent hi viz vest or jacket while riding in France. (From January 2016)
The new €11 fine applies if you get spot checked by police and you don’t have one with you, though the fine is €135 if you are caught not wearing it at the roadside (or on the hard shoulder) in the event of an emergency due to an accident, flat tyre or breakdown.
The introduction of the fine has come into force following yet more poor figures on the number of road deaths in France.
Mortorcycling_In_France.jpg
Image Via: Pinterest

Finally a Decision

It seems to have taken an age to finally implement this law as it was originally talked about seven or eight years ago. It was up until recently a classic case of “we used to be indecisive but now we’re not so sure” from the French government.
Originally the (former) French Interior Minister, Claude Guéant, wanted to bring this in however under pressure from the French motorcyclist’s pressure group (FFMC – French Federation of Angry Bikers), he backed down.

Motorcycling in France Requirements

Spare bulbs, along with the Hi Viz and Breathalysers but I personally don’t take breathalysers any-more because there is no longer fine for not carrying them. Though they are still listed as a legal requirement by the French authorities.

Read all about the back story to the breathalyser rules and my opinion on it here. Breathalysers do you need them?You also should have reflective stickers for your helmet in four places - one on the front, one at the back and one on each side. They must be fitted in a way that t does not hinder the opening/closing visor of your helmet. (Some helmets have them fitted as standard)Stickers must have a minimum surface area of 18cm2. You can buy top quality stickers from us here. Motorcycle Helmet Stickers for France.Also the new rules state that wearing gloves for motorcyclists will be a mandatory requirement, though I would guess that most serious riders would be wearing gloves these days without it being compulsory.If you want to purchase any/all the items you need see the requirements page here.See also this new Motorcycling legislation about riding in-between lanes of stationary traffic in France. People have always done it but it looks like they might finally make it legal.

Headlights

It is compulsory for dipped headlamps to be used day and night and although they are for cars if you get a set of headlamp converters they will do the job of preventing you from dazzling oncoming drivers. Headlamp Converters for France. They only come with fitting instructions for cars but you should be able to work it out, and you'll get 2 in the pack so if you mess up the first attempt you 'll at least have a spare. (y)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Don't know if its correct or not.
Personally I always carry one in the tank bag with spare bulbs don't wear it I hate the bloody thing but do have a fluorescent helmet and jacket and trousers have fluorescent patches.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes Ror, it has finally been brought in. Oddly, I have just the other day bought a set of bash hat stickers..
Mind you, they aint exactly small and in all honesty have NO idea where the hell I can stick them to comply !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
So are they something special then?
The instruction with helmets always advised against putting stickers on as the glue could affect the helmet.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
If you purchase a Shark helmet (French) then you get the sticker kit with it. For my Schuberth C3 the stickers are a pricey extra from Schuberth.
Not seen many french bikers wearing helmets with stickers on them, but there again they are very anti 'anything new' hence a lot of rallies organised by FFMC against these new laws.(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You also should have reflective stickers for your helmet in four places - one on the front, one at the back and one on each side. They must be fitted in a way that t does not hinder the opening/closing visor of your helmet. (Some helmets have them fitted as standard)Stickers must have a minimum surface area of 18cm2. You can buy top quality stickers from us here. Motorcycle Helmet Stickers for France.
And yet, affixing stickers to a motorcycle helmet is supposed to be a no-no. The adhesive can weaken the poly-carbonate outside layer, allowing minute cracks to develop, which weakens the helmet.

From MCN. Certain adhesives (and paints) contain solvents which can damage some kinds of plastic; the damage could be softening, hardening, eating it away, or a combination of these.

The reason why the makers can do it is, they know which solvents are in what adhesives/paints, and whether or not they damage the plastic their helmet is made from.

Unless you send parts of your helmet/sticker/paint to a lab for chemical analysis, you will never know this until it's too late, and this is the reason why it's not recommended that you randomly paint or sticker up thermoplastic/polycarbonate helmets.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
And yet, affixing stickers to a motorcycle helmet is supposed to be a no-no. The adhesive can weaken the poly-carbonate outside layer, allowing minute cracks to develop, which weakens the helmet.

One reason why I wont bike in FrogLand. Too many stupid laws. (y)

But isnt it good that they can't often be bothered to enforce them.

You only have to look at the way they ride scooters!!

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I certainly will not be putting stickers on mine. As has already been said, it is not recommend to stick anything on to the helmets as this can cause damage. I wonder who would be at fault if a rider suffered serious head injuries due to the helmet failing because of the stickers?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thing is they are only introducing the requirement to 'carry' a reflective vest on the bike. Not wear it all the time.
This was why there was opposition originally as they were requiring bikers to wear a full reflective suit both coat & trousers. That was what my mate who lives in Auxerre was telling me & why they were all against it.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Just to dispel the myth, there is no problems sticking things on fibreglass helmets. And seeing as 99% of new lids are fibreglass, you're cool :)

The scaremongering was when they used to make polycarbonate lids many years.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Just to dispel the myth, there is no problems sticking things on fibreglass helmets. And seeing as 99% of new lids are fibreglass, you're cool :)

The scaremongering was when they used to make polycarbonate lids many years.
You could not be further from cool with reflective bits all over the helmet you bought because you liked the look of it.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I certainly will not be putting stickers on mine. As has already been said, it is not recommend to stick anything on to the helmets as this can cause damage. I wonder who would be at fault if a rider suffered serious head injuries due to the helmet failing because of the stickers?

Twenty years ago maybe with old polycarb helmets but no problem with modern lids.

You could not be further from cool with reflective bits all over the helmet you bought because you liked the look of it.

Well I've got a couple of stickers on my helmet and I can ssure you I'm the coolest dude I know. :lips:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
But isnt it good that they can't often be bothered to enforce them.

You only have to look at the way they ride scooters!!

I love the way Europeans ride their scooters especially Italians always done with style and looking cool.:clap2:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Twenty years ago maybe with old polycarb helmets but no problem with modern lids.

Well I've got a couple of stickers on my helmet and I can ssure you I'm the coolest dude I know. :lips:

Sorry, but you can NEVER be as cool as me !! ( something to do with my vented jacket vents not closing properly I think )

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Sorry, but you can NEVER be as cool as me !! ( something to do with my vented jacket vents not closing properly I think )

Agh that explains it I thought you were putting weight on jacket blown up making you look like Michelin man.:):)(y)(y)

funkyfunky

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2013
Lassere-De-Prouille, Aude, France
Funster No
MH
c class Mercedes 310d FFB
Exp
The French are very difficult to deal with, Paper, paper. paper, that's all they think about. It is Bureaucracy gone mad. And the drivers are very bad ,They must overtake whatever is in front of them and the standard speed is a good 20% over the speed limit. Generally speaking very difficult to deal with, I know I live there.
As motor home people we must show patience and wish them well.
Happy new year everybody. xxxxxxx

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I like France on a motorbike, perhaps we've been lucky over many such trips as we've not found drivers or police there to be difficult. In fact, many French drivers seem to give way for a convoy of bikes when they have no need to. On the way back from MotoGP events at Le Mans you get quite a few locals out on bridges and at side of the road waving. I'll go back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back